Re: [gamebooks] Does anyone know of these books?

  • Robert Mammone
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 26, 2011
      The second sounds a little like Grail Quest. Or is it Grailquest?

      --
      Widdershins, my latest horror short story, appears in Midnight Echo #5, the
      magazine of the Australian Horror Writers Association.

      The link to the AHWA shop is below:

      http://www.shop.australianhorror.com/Midnight-Echo-5_c12.htm

    • Shane Russell
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 26, 2011
        I'd have to agree with this, sounds like Grailquest involving the
        Hero, his talking sword EJ (Excalibar Junior). and sometimes sidekick
        The Peoples Poet (if I recall correctly).

        On 27 July 2011 06:31, Robert Mammone <rob.mammone@...> wrote:
        > The second sounds a little like Grail Quest.  Or is it Grailquest?

      • Demian Katz
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 27, 2011
          I haven't ever played this one:

          http://www.gamebooks.org/show_item.php?id=3154

          ...but it's a sci-fi gamebook with full-page color illustrations. Might
          that be item #1? I'm not exactly sure what you mean about the "instead of
          turning pages" part, though. Is the book you're describing completely
          linear?

          - Demian

          On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Stuart <sl1605@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I had an email from someone asking me if I know what the following
          > gamebooks are from their descriptions. I do not, but if anyone can help me,
          > I would appreciated it greatly.
          >
          > The first was a different choose your own adventure gamebook. It was a
          > sci-fi story about a crash survivor on an alien planet. Instead of turning
          > pages, however, you had to pick several equipment to use; at the same time,
          > there was a story integrated into it between the different scenes. There
          > were full page illustrations as well.
          >
          > The second was a series revolving a king, a talking sword and another
          > magical companion. Something to do with stopping a wedding for an evil witch
          > or lich or something.
          >
          > Many thanks,
          >
          > Stuart

        • Guillermo Alberto
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 27, 2011
            In that one you make choices and turn pages.

            Guillermo

            --- In gamebooks@yahoogroups.com, Demian Katz <demiankatz@...> wrote:

            > I haven't ever played this one:
            >
            > http://www.gamebooks.org/show_item.php?id=3154
            >
            > ...but it's a sci-fi gamebook with full-page color illustrations. Might
            > that be item #1? I'm not exactly sure what you mean about the "instead of
            > turning pages" part, though. Is the book you're describing completely
            > linear?
            >
            > - Demian
            >
            > On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Stuart <sl1605@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > I had an email from someone asking me if I know what the following
            > > gamebooks are from their descriptions. I do not, but if anyone can help me,
            > > I would appreciated it greatly.
            > >
            > > The first was a different choose your own adventure gamebook. It was a
            > > sci-fi story about a crash survivor on an alien planet. Instead of turning
            > > pages, however, you had to pick several equipment to use; at the same time,
            > > there was a story integrated into it between the different scenes. There
            > > were full page illustrations as well.
            > >
            > > The second was a series revolving a king, a talking sword and another
            > > magical companion. Something to do with stopping a wedding for an evil witch
            > > or lich or something.
            > >
            > > Many thanks,
            > >
            > > Stuart

          • Simon Osborne
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 27, 2011
              On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Stuart <sl1605@...> wrote:
              >> Hi all,
              >>
              >> I had an email from someone asking me if I know what the following
              >> gamebooks are from their descriptions. I do not, but if anyone can help me,
              >> I would appreciated it greatly.
              >>
              >> The first was a different choose your own adventure gamebook. It was a
              >> sci-fi story about a crash survivor on an alien planet. Instead of turning
              >> pages, however, you had to pick several equipment to use; at the same time,
              >> there was a story integrated into it between the different scenes. There
              >> were full page illustrations as well.
              >>
              >> The second was a series revolving a king, a talking sword and another
              >> magical companion. Something to do with stopping a wedding for an evil witch
              >> or lich or something.
              Isn't the second one Adventures of Goldhawk #4: Ghost Road?
              <http://gamebooks.org/show_item.php?id=161>

              I've just had a quick look at it and you get a talking tin pig
              companion, a magic sword, and there's something about an alliance
              between the evil Darkmoon and the equally evil Princess Jet.

              --
              Simon Osborne
            • Ed
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 27, 2011
                None of the Grail Quest books involved trying to prevent a wedding, though.

                There's another talking sword in Ian Livingstone's 'kiddie FF' series The Adventures of Goldhawk, and I believe that the last one of those, Ghost Road, is about trying to avert the marriage of the villain from the first book, so that may be the one.

                Oh, and it was the Poetic Fiend in GQ.