Re: [gamebooks] Lone Wolf complaining

  • Demian Katz
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001
      > We're on the same page, man. Chasing after Vonotar the Traitor in the ice
      > and wacky caverns is the high point of the series for me, and I consider the
      > "climax" of book 12 a major letdown.

      Add me to the list of "Caverns of Kalte" fans... Great stuff! Maybe I'm
      just a sucker for icy settings, though... John Carpenter's "The Thing" is
      one of my favorite horror movies, "Seeds of Doom" is high on my Doctor Who
      list, I enjoyed "Ice" on The X-Files, and I have fairly fond memories of
      "Caverns of the Snow Witch" in the Fighting Fantasy series (gotta love the
      algebra problem disguised as a magical riddle!).

      Then again, it's snowing hard right now and it screwed up my weekly D&D
      game, so maybe I shouldn't be so respectful. ;)

      - Demian
    • Simon Osborne
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 5, 2001
        > > We're on the same page, man. Chasing after Vonotar the Traitor in the
        ice
        > > and wacky caverns is the high point of the series for me, and I consider
        the
        > > "climax" of book 12 a major letdown.
        >
        > Add me to the list of "Caverns of Kalte" fans... Great stuff! Maybe I'm
        > just a sucker for icy settings, though... John Carpenter's "The Thing" is
        > one of my favorite horror movies, "Seeds of Doom" is high on my Doctor Who
        > list, I enjoyed "Ice" on The X-Files, and I have fairly fond memories of
        > "Caverns of the Snow Witch" in the Fighting Fantasy series (gotta love the
        > algebra problem disguised as a magical riddle!).

        I agree that ice-fields are avery evocative setting for any form of story,
        gamebook or otherwise (check out H P Lovecraft's At The Mountains Of Madness
        if you don't believe...) but, while I kinda like The Caverns Of Kalte, it's
        not my favourite. I like dungeon crawls too, and The Chasm Of Doom (the
        first LW book I ever read) is almost my favourite... gotta love those Maaken
        Mines. I agree with everything lse Damien says here, though... X-files Ice
        was probably the best episode; and Caverns of the Snow Witch has that
        unusual bit at the end when you are searching for Pen Ty Kora (the
        Healer)... and although it's Book 9, it's actually the prequel to Forest Of
        Doom (Book 3) - weird!

        Favourite LW comes down to a toss-up between The Darke Crusade (again, a
        desolate and icy, snowy backdrop for an intriguing adventure) and The
        Dungeons Of Torgar (for the diversity of ways to reach Torgar, even allowing
        a skirmish with Roark and Tagazin in one plot-strand!) The Curse Of Naar is
        also very good... surprising how there are actually choices in such a linear
        adventure!

        As for vapourising Gnaag - that was a cool way to end the adventure; after
        all, with the Sommerswerd you are obliged to deal with Kraagenskul, aren't
        you? And Taktaal can be fought as well... three Darklords in one book! Now
        that's value for money!! Perhaps could have done with a little re-writing to
        make it less certain that the Sommerswerd just atomised him, but a great
        ending nevertheless. It would certainly work well in film.

        Most disappointing? Definitely the Deathlord Of Ixia. I mean, what was all
        that about?

        I hope this kind of strand continues... it's a lot more interesting than
        reading adverts all the time... 8oÞ

        --
        Simon Osborne
        ICQ: 72644514
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 5, 2001
          > I agree that ice-fields are avery evocative setting for any form of story,
          > gamebook or otherwise (check out H P Lovecraft's At The Mountains Of Madness
          > if you don't believe...)

          I am ashamed that I forgot to mention At the Mountains of Madness! :)
          I've often thought that book would make a great gamebook; really,
          Lovecraftian horror has high gamebook potential. There are a few Call of
          Cthulhu solos (Grimrock Isle is quite good), but as far as stand-alone
          gamebooks go, it's pretty much unexploited territory. Forbidden Gateway
          seems to be as close as you can get, and judging from initial
          explorations of the first book of that series, it's not too impressive.

          - Demian
        • robert_a_mammone@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 25, 2001
            > Complaining aside....is there any hope aside from Ebay and
            commiting
            > felonies for me to get some of these things????
            Hello all. Fellow gamebooker owner from the mid 80's joins this
            discussion book. If you're looking for stuff, perhaps the Bibliofind
            site can help. I have the sad tale of someone who after 7 years,
            opened two boxes of bookstore in a shed on a family property, only to
            find several water/insect damaged. Among them were the first two
            Lone Wolf books and book 4 of the Grey Star series. Torn covers,
            bloated with water and fungus damage. All 1st editions (if you care
            for that sort of thing). I however managed to track all of them down
            via Bibliofind, (from stores in the UK) and the prices were well
            within acceptable range (well, considering how crap the Australian $
            is at the moment!) This is not a paid ad, either!