Peace Corps renewing education program in Gabon

  • bradley_alan_hodges
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 26 6:54 PM
      My name is Bradley Alan Hodges. I am a communication and French
      graduate of the University of North Carolina at Asheville. While an
      undergraduate in the summer of 1993, I lived with a family in Paris,
      France and completed courses at two colleges there.

      In the six years since I graduated I have been a newspaper reporter
      for several publications in North Carolina. This has been very
      fulfilling mentally, if not always fulfilling financially.

      For the past year I have reconsidered ambitions I held before
      graduating: promoting international dialog and cultural exchange.
      This began in June 2001, when I interviewed and wrote a newspaper
      article about a Peace Corps volunteer who had just returned from
      Madagascar.

      I am preparing to move to Gabon on June 12, 2002 with high hopes that
      I can help the Peace Corps reestablish its education program there,
      which I understand from the literature I've received was halted in
      1999.

      I would love to hear any advice or information about the country, as
      very little is available on the Internet or at libraries I've
      visited. Thanks!
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 27 5:24 PM
        Bradley, Just curious. What are your EE credentials? Are your going
        to Gabon as a PCV or in what other capacity?

        Personally, I'd like to see more English instructors in Gabon to help
        bridge the emerging Gabonese entrepeneurs with the world's business
        (including Internet) environment.

        To answer your question, you will not learn about the real Gabon from
        web posts or the print media. You need to experience Gabon for
        yourself.
      • bradley_alan_hodges
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2002
          --- In gabondiscussion@y..., "bobutne" <bobutne@a...> wrote:
          > Bradley, Just curious. What are your EE credentials? Are your going
          > to Gabon as a PCV or in what other capacity?
          >
          > Personally, I'd like to see more English instructors in Gabon to
          help
          > bridge the emerging Gabonese entrepeneurs with the world's business
          > (including Internet) environment.
          >
          > To answer your question, you will not learn about the real Gabon
          from
          > web posts or the print media. You need to experience Gabon for
          > yourself.

          I have no EE credentials; I'm not even really sure what the term
          means (Enlish Education?) I do have a great familiarity with the
          English language, having written for newspapers for several years. As
          an education reporter, I've also worked closely with teachers and
          professors.

          I think your suggestion of making English instruction more readily
          available in Gabon sounds like a great idea. At least in theory it
          would help the Gabonese become more successful at marketing
          businesses globally. My only concern is that we don't overwhelm them
          with our own culture (at least, with Disney World, fast food and
          Britney Spears) in the process.

          Thanks for the reply!
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2002
            http://allafrica.com/gabon/

            More coverage on the Ebola and child slavery situations.
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 20, 2002
              President Bongo calls for ending "conflicts" to create better
              environment to attract international investment in Africa.
              http://allafrica.com/stories/200204170456.html
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 22, 2002
                http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?channel=artcol.jhtml&doc_id=207011

                A good read on the problems faced by countries like Gabon who have
                rentier economies.

                At least in Chad, Exxon hired a former PCV to help spread a little of
                the oil profits to the people.

                Oil revenue, all too often, is like a narcotic to developing nations.
                Those in power get hooked on it and are adverse to spending any oil
                revenue in developing their nation, only in feeding their
                greedy/glutenous fixes. Those not in power see only the prize of the
                oil narcotic and do not make the effort to further develop their
                country.

                Reference book worth a read to all those interested in Gabon: "The
                Rentier State in Africa" by Douglas Yates.
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2002
                  Anyone interested in going? I plan to be at Roland Garros the end of
                  this month and am thinking about flying from Paris to Libreville in
                  early June.