Re: [Gabon Discussion] Re: Gabon receives another $10 million grant fr om US

  • Tom LeBlanc
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 28, 2005
      I agree with Amin. I'd rather try to do something
      positive in the world rather than complain about how
      unfair life is--although I do admit that I do my fair
      share of complaining and ringing my hands.

      From my experience, it's very easy to become cynical
      in the development business. There's massive
      corruption that abounds. Here in Malawi, for example,
      we have a food crisis that was essentially created by
      corrupt politicians. In response, the international
      donor community is providing food aid immediately to
      the hungry while also providing support to adopt
      anti-corruption measures in the long-term. Whether
      these measures will work is another question. But I
      must admit that my blood boils when I think about the
      corrupt polticians who get away with starving people
      to death to make a buck. Ironically, these politicians
      have the support of some of the people. So, nothing is
      black and white. Still, I have hope that in the
      long-term these conditions will change and those who
      are guilty of corruption will eventually be brought to
      justice.

      Tom

      __________________________________
      Yahoo! Music Unlimited
      http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
        Amin writes: "If someone wants to live in a world of "conspiracy
        theories" where nothing is what it seems to be and there is always
        some evil hand controlling every little thing that goes on, well
        there is nothing I can do about that."

        Appears that Ambassador Joe Wilson has his own conspiracy theories.
        Wilson wrote re the Iraq war:

        "The real agenda in all of this of course, was to redraw the
        political map of the Middle East. Now that is code, whether you like
        it or not, but it is code for putting into place the strategy
        memorandum that was done by Richard Perle and his study group in the
        mid-90's which was called, 'A Clean Break: A New Strategy for the
        Realm.' And what it is – cut to the quick – is if you take out some
        of these countries, some of these governments that are antagonistic
        to Israel then you provide the Israeli government with greater
        wherewithal to impose its terms and conditions upon the Palestinian
        people – whatever those terms and conditions might be. In other
        words, the road to peace in the Middle East goes through Baghdad and
        Damascus. Maybe Tehran. And maybe Cairo and maybe Tripoli if these
        guys actually have their way. Rather than going through Jerusalem."

        Wilson later added: "If Americans wake up some day and realize that
        their soldiers are "dying for Israel," the backlash would undermine
        our long-standing strategic relationship with Tel Aviv."

        There may be a good deal of truth to this conspiracy theory as well
        as other conspiracy theories concerning the current Administration.
        Facts will slowly emerge as they did during Watergate, Vietnam, Iran-
        Contra, etc., etc..

        I agree with Amin that it is a waste of time to live under a
        conspiracy rock but it is also ill advised to naively feed off of the
        pablum that any current Administration is force feeding. Democracy
        depends on an educated, informed citizenry.
      • Amin F. Abari
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
          Bob, you misunderstand me. The key to words to what I wrote were "…
          little thing…" I do subscribe to Joe Wilson's ideas (maybe not to
          that exaggerated level – but on the whole) and do not say
          conspiracies do not exist. Just that not ALL is a conspiracy.

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
            I found that Wilson piece when I was googling Gabon news.
            http://antiwar.com/justin/?articleid=8164

            I haven't evidenced any similar statements from Wilson including his
            book, "The Politics of Truth". That's one topic a little too hot for
            even Wilson to keep on the fire.

            It's naieve to think that Wolfowitz didn't help push through the
            recent $15 World Bank loan and $10 million grant right in the midst
            of the Gabonese three-week, presidential campaign for political (not
            economic or environmental) reasons.

            You certainly are entitled to your opinion about the Peace Corps,
            however, there are no valid simple generalties in assessing its
            value/worth to the local villages, developing nations, the volunteers
            or to the US. Many will argue that the Peace Corps is the best
            international program sponsored by the US and many, like you, will
            smirk at its perceived weaknesses.

            --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "Amin F. Abari"

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
              http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/IRIN/deb437c5c0e267fe05d75fc2
              e9ea90f2.htm

              LIBREVILLE, 30 November (IRIN) - Omar Bongo, president of Gabon since
              1967, has won a landslide victory at the polls, securing a further
              seven years at the helm of the small oil-producing nation.

              Already Africa's longest serving president after 38 years in office,
              Bongo garnered almost 80 percent of the vote in Sunday's presidential
              ballot, according to official results announced on national
              television late Tuesday.

              Bongo swept up 79.21 percent of votes cast, leaving his closest
              rival, Pierre Mamboundou, trailing with 13.57 percent.

              "And so, Omar Ondimba Bongo has been re-elected," declared Interior
              Minister Clotaire-Christian Ivala.

              Mamboundou and third place candidate, Zacharie Myboto, claimed
              massive fraud, but the 30-odd international observers who monitored
              the poll signed off broad approval.

              "The vote passed off well, all in all," said Cheikh Gueye, a
              Senegalese election observer for the International Organisation for
              French-speaking countries (OIF). He noted however that polling
              stations in some regions opened late due to the delayed arrival of
              ballot boxes or officials.

              According to results from the National Electoral Commission, turnout
              was 63.29 percent, or 351,000 of the 555,000 eligible voters in the
              country of 1.5 million people.

              But a Western diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity, estimated
              that no more than 30 or 35 percent of voters participated in Bongo's
              third re-election since the adoption of multi-party politics in 1990.

              Bongo worked hard and spared no expense in his campaign to secure re-
              election.

              In September, even before an election date had been set, the head of
              state announced that he would make public schooling free. Three weeks
              later, he offered a month's worth of free water and electricity to
              100,000 households. And he was generous with his supporters at
              political rallies.

              Some 40 percent of Gabonese are unemployed and between 60 and 70
              percent of the population live below the poverty line, according to
              Fidele Pierre Nze-Guema a sociology professor at the main university
              in the capital Libreville.

              "But the government has the tools to address these social
              challenges," said Nze-Guema.

              Gabon, sandwiched between Congo and Cameroon, is relatively rich
              compared to other countries in the region principally because of the
              250,000 barrels of oil pumped out of the Gabonese ground each day.

              But some are sceptical that the 69-year-old president will take
              economic development forward.

              On the streets of Libreville, Sylvianne Aleka, a 30 year old mother,
              was despondent. "I know that with the re-election of Omar Bongo
              nothing is going to change in the next seven years because he didn't
              do a great deal before to address real problems, other than give out
              the odd small gift."
            • dupont3@juno.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 8, 2005
                Government corruption is more than just a conspiracy theory nowadays. It is a bonafide epidemic today and the positive thing to do is to fight against it. Each individual(citizen) needs to ask not what their country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.
                So the true patriot is the one out there NOT buying the propaganda and ferreting out the actual conspiracy in conspiracy theory.
                That is probably the most honorable thing one can do right now cause just a simple look will uncover all types of lies and deceptions. Dont listen to those people who brush off every shocking revelation as a conspiracy theory or who trivialize government corruption as if it is the way things are. That way is actually tearing apart our country piece by piece.

                I use to hear a lot of talk about Omar Bongo being corrupt on this board and it is amazing to now see how the US government makes Bongo look like a saint right now. The poor mans hero is the rich mans terrorist.

                So yea, you may think that the World Bank is out there trying to help poor governments when what they are really doing is prepetuating the interests of the rich at the morbid expense of the poor. All it takes is an open mind and a close look beyond the propaganda. The true patriot does these things and is not afraid to wreck his comfort zone with the truth no matter how disturbing it may be.

                Ciao,
                dupont

                -- Tom LeBlanc <tom_leblanc_chico@...> wrote:
                I agree with Amin. I'd rather try to do something
                positive in the world rather than complain about how
                unfair life is--although I do admit that I do my fair
                share of complaining and ringing my hands.

                From my experience, it's very easy to become cynical

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 16, 2005
                  http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=2414792005

                  Same situation in Gabon with the Bush Administration closing down the
                  Peace Corps and the Chinese engaged in infrastructure projects in Port
                  Gentil and other Gabonese locations.

                  When I was in Libreville in 2002, the Chinese had taken over the top
                  two floors of the InterContinental hotel for a weeks worth of meetings.
                  I also observed a few restaurants and other retail outlets run and
                  owned by Chinese.

                  Interesting that Schweitzer even had correspondence with Mao Tse-Tung
                  and, in 1963, forecasted that China would replace the West in Africa
                  and elsewhere.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 16, 2005
                    On December 10, someone added six photos of a marriage to this
                    site's "Photos" section. Anyone know the details?
                  • Brad Hodges
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 16, 2005
                      Yeah, that would be me and my wife back in March.

                      Brad Hodges

                      bobutne <bobutne@...> a écrit : On December 10, someone added six photos of a marriage to this
                      site's "Photos" section. Anyone know the details?

                      ---------------------------------

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 16, 2005
                        Beautiful woman. If you don't mind getting personal, where was the
                        marriage? Are you and Perrine in Gabon? How did you meet?
                      • Bradley Alan Hodges
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 16, 2005
                          --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "bobutne" <bobutne@y...> wrote:

                          > Beautiful woman. If you don't mind getting personal, where was the
                          > marriage? Are you and Perrine in Gabon? How did you meet?

                          Thanks! The marriage was in Libreville (Haut de Gue Gue). We moved to
                          Atlanta in August so I could go to grad school and she could study
                          English. She also braids hair.

                          We met teaching together at a school in Libreville.

                          It just occurred to me that you were in Fougamou in the 1960s. That
                          was my post. I've got a lot of photos there from 2002-2004 that I
                          could post.

                          Brad
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 16, 2005
                            Thanks for the response.

                            Please post any other photos including those in Fougamou.

                            What are your and Perrine's plans for the
                            future?

                            Our group of 36 PCVs (primary school construction with USAID help) was
                            the first to serve in Gabon, beginning in March 1963. We were greeted
                            from village to village with open arms and hearts from the locals. We
                            were called, "les blanc qui travais". To my knowledge, no one in our
                            group married a Gabonese but many, including me, had very close personal
                            relationships with the local femmes.

                            It's a real shame that the Bush Administration has closed down this
                            opportunity for many to experience state-sponsored, cultural sharing
                            experiences, and more.
                          • Bradley Alan Hodges
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 16, 2005
                              Boukaye! Beyond the diamonds and uranium, I'm glad to hear you
                              discovered Central Africa's best resource yet-la femme gabonaise. Sans
                              te mentir, j'étais un bon villageois, comme ma femme aime me rappeler
                              de temps en temps. J'attachais ma pirogue à un arbre au bord du
                              Bitoukou (tu connais l'endroit?) après avoir passé un weekend à la
                              chasse des crocodiles vers Mindoulou. Je faisais le mulamu ma mbari
                              (le vin de palme) avec mes pôtes, et nous dansions le bwiti
                              aprês...J'étais très intégré, quoi!

                              C'est après que j'ai eu l'occasion de rencontrer une femme de la ville
                              qui m'a cultivé, qui m'a montré les choses des moutangani (les blancs)...

                              Ah, quelle chance, quand même, d'avoir vécu à Fougamou! Ce coin me
                              manque beaucoup!

                              Vive Tsamba-Magotsi!

                              Son Excellence El Hadj Moussavou

                              P.S.: <<Les blancs qui travaillent>>

                              --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "bobutne" <bobutne@y...> wrote:

                              > Thanks for the response.
                              >
                              > Please post any other photos including those in Fougamou.
                              >
                              > What are your and Perrine's plans for the
                              > future?
                              >
                              > Our group of 36 PCVs (primary school construction with USAID help) was
                              > the first to serve in Gabon, beginning in March 1963. We were greeted
                              > from village to village with open arms and hearts from the locals. We
                              > were called, "les blanc qui travais". To my knowledge, no one in our
                              > group married a Gabonese but many, including me, had very close personal
                              > relationships with the local femmes.
                              >
                              > It's a real shame that the Bush Administration has closed down this
                              > opportunity for many to experience state-sponsored, cultural sharing
                              > experiences, and more.

                            • Brad Hodges
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 16, 2005
                                Bob,

                                One other thing I'd like to say. As a PCV who followed your footsteps to Fougamou four decades later, your group did more than anyone there to make lasting changes. Do you know that those schools are still operating in villages between Fougamou and Mouila, and are still in good shape and still bear the Peace Corps insignia? That's more than I can say for efforts in more recent years to build gardens. Most have fallen by the wayside. I still talk with people in Fougamou often. If you'd like phone numbers, I'd be happy to provide them. My best friend there, Peeblé, worked with PCVs in Fougamou since the 70s.

                                Kudos (Akewa, Diboty, etcetera etcetera)

                                Brad

                                Bradley Alan Hodges <niakurondi@...> a écrit : Boukaye! Beyond the diamonds and uranium, I'm glad to hear you
                                discovered Central Africa's best resource yet-la femme gabonaise. Sans
                                te mentir, j'étais un bon villageois, comme ma femme aime me rappeler
                                de temps en temps. J'attachais ma pirogue à un arbre au bord du
                                Bitoukou (tu connais l'endroit?) après avoir passé un weekend à la
                                chasse des crocodiles vers Mindoulou. Je faisais le mulamu ma mbari
                                (le vin de palme) avec mes pôtes, et nous dansions le bwiti
                                aprês...J'étais très intégré, quoi!

                                C'est après que j'ai eu l'occasion de rencontrer une femme de la ville
                                qui m'a cultivé, qui m'a montré les choses des moutangani (les blancs)...

                                Ah, quelle chance, quand même, d'avoir vécu à Fougamou! Ce coin me
                                manque beaucoup!

                                Vive Tsamba-Magotsi!

                                Son Excellence El Hadj Moussavou

                                P.S.: <<Les blancs qui travaillent>>

                                --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "bobutne" <bobutne@y...> wrote:

                                > Thanks for the response.
                                >
                                > Please post any other photos including those in Fougamou.
                                >
                                > What are your and Perrine's plans for the
                                > future?
                                >
                                > Our group of 36 PCVs (primary school construction with USAID help) was
                                > the first to serve in Gabon, beginning in March 1963. We were greeted
                                > from village to village with open arms and hearts from the locals. We
                                > were called, "les blanc qui travais". To my knowledge, no one in our
                                > group married a Gabonese but many, including me, had very close personal
                                > relationships with the local femmes.
                                >
                                > It's a real shame that the Bush Administration has closed down this
                                > opportunity for many to experience state-sponsored, cultural sharing
                                > experiences, and more.

                                Gabon Libreville gabon Gabon visa Past present and future

                                ---------------------------------

                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 19, 2005
                                  Brad, I especially like this one:

                                  u+II&.dnm=Brad+and+Perrine+in+Pirogue.jpg&.src=gr&.done=http%
                                  3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/gabondiscussion/vwp%
                                  3f.dir=/Fougamou%2bII%26.dnm=Classe%2bde%2bsixi%25e8me%2bavec%2bB%
                                  25e9kal%25e9.jpg%26.src=gr

                                  Bob

                                  --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, Brad Hodges <niakurondi@y...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Bob,
                                  >
                                  > One other thing I'd like to say. As a PCV who followed your
                                  footsteps to Fougamou four decades later, your group did more than
                                  anyone there to make lasting changes. Do you know that those schools
                                  are still operating in villages between Fougamou and Mouila, and are
                                  still in good shape and still bear the Peace Corps insignia? That's
                                  more than I can say for efforts in more recent years to build
                                  gardens. Most have fallen by the wayside. I still talk with people
                                  in Fougamou often. If you'd like phone numbers, I'd be happy to
                                  provide them. My best friend there, Peeblé, worked with PCVs in
                                  Fougamou since the 70s.

                                  > Kudos (Akewa, Diboty, etcetera etcetera)
                                  >
                                  > Brad
                                  >
                                  > Bradley Alan Hodges <niakurondi@y...> a écrit : Boukaye!
                                  Beyond the diamonds and uranium, I'm glad to hear you
                                  > discovered Central Africa's best resource yet-la femme gabonaise.
                                  Sans
                                  > te mentir, j'étais un bon villageois, comme ma femme aime me
                                  rappeler
                                  > de temps en temps. J'attachais ma pirogue à un arbre au bord du
                                  > Bitoukou (tu connais l'endroit?) après avoir passé un weekend à la
                                  > chasse des crocodiles vers Mindoulou. Je faisais le mulamu ma
                                  mbari
                                  > (le vin de palme) avec mes pôtes, et nous dansions le bwiti
                                  > aprês...J'étais très intégré, quoi!
                                  >
                                  > C'est après que j'ai eu l'occasion de rencontrer une femme de la
                                  ville
                                  > qui m'a cultivé, qui m'a montré les choses des moutangani (les
                                  blancs)...

                                  > Ah, quelle chance, quand même, d'avoir vécu à Fougamou! Ce coin me
                                  > manque beaucoup!
                                  >
                                  > Vive Tsamba-Magotsi!
                                  >
                                  > Son Excellence El Hadj Moussavou
                                  >
                                  > P.S.: <<Les blancs qui travaillent>>
                                  >
                                  > --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "bobutne" <bobutne@y...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > > Thanks for the response.
                                  > >
                                  > > Please post any other photos including those in Fougamou.
                                  > >
                                  > > What are your and Perrine's plans for the
                                  > > future?
                                  > >
                                  > > Our group of 36 PCVs (primary school construction with USAID
                                  help) was
                                  > > the first to serve in Gabon, beginning in March 1963. We were
                                  greeted
                                  > > from village to village with open arms and hearts from the
                                  locals. We
                                  > > were called, "les blanc qui travais". To my knowledge, no one
                                  in our
                                  > > group married a Gabonese but many, including me, had very close
                                  personal
                                  > > relationships with the local femmes.
                                  > >
                                  > > It's a real shame that the Bush Administration has closed down
                                  this
                                  > > opportunity for many to experience state-sponsored, cultural
                                  sharing
                                  > > experiences, and more.

                                  Gabon Libreville
                                  gabon Gabon