Re: [Gabon Discussion] Gabon receives another $10 million grant from U S

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2005
      That type of money from the US would be more honorably used by getting
      the Peace Corps back in Gabon in full force. Let the PC help build
      schools, roads, protect the environment and help improve management of
      natural resources in Gabon.

      Good point. Funding Peace Corps projects, certainly, is the cheapest
      method (and, possibly, the most effective) for the US Government to
      provide direct assistance to nations in need.

      I'd like to know who made the decision to terminate the Peace Corps in
      Gabon.
    • Tom LeBlanc
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 28, 2005
        Ironically I was talking to some Peace Corps folks
        here in Malawi on Thanksgiving. When I mentioned that
        the Peace Corps had just closed down the Mission in
        Gabon recently, they said that it was because it was
        "too expensive" to run. The world's a crazy place!

        I remember there was a school built by PCVs in
        Fougamou in the 1960s (where I was posted in the early
        80s) and it was as solid as a rock! I wish I could
        figure out how to start a PC construction program here
        in Malawi. Unfortunately, I was told that the
        construction program was unique to Gabon...

        Tom

        http://mail.yahoo.com