Re: [Gabon Discussion] Re: Gabon receives another $10 million grant fr om US

  • dupont3@juno.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 28, 2005
      Yea, right..
      The World Bank is a puppet of the US, is headquartered in the US and was created by the US. I am sure that so-called international member board you talk about had nothing to say about Wolfowitz becoming the Chairman. To say that Wolfowitz has "no clout" is just being ignorant of the situation or maybe just turning the cheek cause it suits your interests.

      Ciao,
      dupont

      -- "Amin F. Abari" <aminabari@...> wrote:
      Actually the 10 million does NOT come from US taxpayers. As the
      article correctly mentions it comes from Global Environmental
      Facility (www.gefweb.org). GEF gets its funding from the
      international donors that care about the environment (and we all
      know how high that is on the list of Bush's priorities).

      The World Bank loans have to get approved by the board which is all
      the member countries. As much as Wolfowitz would like to he has
      absolutely no clout to "push" anything through the board. The US
      has 16 percent of the votes (based on its shareholding). Case in
      point, the US regularly votes "NO" to loans to Iran and the World
      Bank board does indeed approve the loans. Someone not knowing how
      it is done could argue that the US is giving loans to Iran because
      Wolfowitz is American. They would be wrong.

      Luckily the World Bank is neither the US government where a few can
      derail the system and push their own agenda nor the UN Security
      Council where Wolfowitz would have had a veto to use as a weapon.

      --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "bobutne" <bobutne@y...>
      wrote:

      > http://allafrica.com/stories/200511160140.html
      >
      > Interesting that the US is kicking in an additional $10 million
      grant
      > to the $15 million World Bank loan. See last sentence.
      >
      > Also, recall that Wolfowitz (one of the chief architects of the
      Iraq
      > war) is the new World Bank leader. Did Cheney order Wolfie to loan
      > Bongo another $15 million to keep Bongo quiet and then kicked in
      > another $10 million of US taxpayer money to seal the deal?

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Amin F. Abari
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 28, 2005
        The World Bank is as much as puppet of the US government as any
        other UN agency is. Let's not forget the headquarters of the UN is
        also in the US – if that is criterion of being a puppet. There is
        no doubt that over its history, the UN and its different agencies
        have been used for political purposes by on side or other but I
        guarantee you that their only function is NOT to assuage the
        political fears of the US government.

        The board DID have something to say about Wolfowitz becoming
        President. They approved it by voting for it. The Europeans agreed
        to have Wolfowitz become the World Bank president as long as the US
        supported their choice of Pascal Lamy for the WTO plus a couple of
        other positions within the World Bank and other agencies.

        Like it or not in all of these agencies there are people (as there
        are in all governments) who care and want to do their job for the
        benefit of us all. If someone wants to live in a world
        of "conspiracy theories" where nothing is what it seems to be and
        there is always some evil hand controlling every little thing that
        goes on, well there is nothing I can do about that.

        Also, on the issue of the World Bank having been created by the US
        you might want to check on that. I am not sure if that is the case.

        --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "dupont3@j..."
        <dupont3@j...> wrote:

        > Yea, right..
        > The World Bank is a puppet of the US, is headquartered in the US
        and was created by the US. I am sure that so-called international
        member board you talk about had nothing to say about Wolfowitz
        becoming the Chairman. To say that Wolfowitz has "no clout" is just
        being ignorant of the situation or maybe just turning the cheek
        cause it suits your interests.

        > Ciao,
        > dupont
        >

        > -- "Amin F. Abari" <aminabari@y...> wrote:
        > Actually the 10 million does NOT come from US taxpayers. As the
        > article correctly mentions it comes from Global Environmental
        > Facility (www.gefweb.org). GEF gets its funding from the
        > international donors that care about the environment (and we all
        > know how high that is on the list of Bush's priorities).
        >
        > The World Bank loans have to get approved by the board which is
        all
        > the member countries. As much as Wolfowitz would like to he has
        > absolutely no clout to "push" anything through the board. The US
        > has 16 percent of the votes (based on its shareholding). Case in
        > point, the US regularly votes "NO" to loans to Iran and the World
        > Bank board does indeed approve the loans. Someone not knowing how
        > it is done could argue that the US is giving loans to Iran because
        > Wolfowitz is American. They would be wrong.
        >
        > Luckily the World Bank is neither the US government where a few
        can
        > derail the system and push their own agenda nor the UN Security
        > Council where Wolfowitz would have had a veto to use as a weapon.
        >

        > --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "bobutne" <bobutne@y...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > http://allafrica.com/stories/200511160140.html
        > >
        > > Interesting that the US is kicking in an additional $10 million
        > grant
        > > to the $15 million World Bank loan. See last sentence.
        > >
        > > Also, recall that Wolfowitz (one of the chief architects of the
        > Iraq
        > > war) is the new World Bank leader. Did Cheney order Wolfie to
        loan
        > > Bongo another $15 million to keep Bongo quiet and then kicked in
        > > another $10 million of US taxpayer money to seal the deal?
        > >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > Try Juno Platinum for Free! Then, only $9.95/month!
        > Unlimited Internet Access with 250MB of Email Storage.
        > Visit http://www.juno.com/value to sign up today!

      • Tom LeBlanc
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 28, 2005
          I agree with Amin. I'd rather try to do something
          positive in the world rather than complain about how
          unfair life is--although I do admit that I do my fair
          share of complaining and ringing my hands.

          From my experience, it's very easy to become cynical
          in the development business. There's massive
          corruption that abounds. Here in Malawi, for example,
          we have a food crisis that was essentially created by
          corrupt politicians. In response, the international
          donor community is providing food aid immediately to
          the hungry while also providing support to adopt
          anti-corruption measures in the long-term. Whether
          these measures will work is another question. But I
          must admit that my blood boils when I think about the
          corrupt polticians who get away with starving people
          to death to make a buck. Ironically, these politicians
          have the support of some of the people. So, nothing is
          black and white. Still, I have hope that in the
          long-term these conditions will change and those who
          are guilty of corruption will eventually be brought to
          justice.

          Tom

          __________________________________
          Yahoo! Music Unlimited
          http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
            Amin writes: "If someone wants to live in a world of "conspiracy
            theories" where nothing is what it seems to be and there is always
            some evil hand controlling every little thing that goes on, well
            there is nothing I can do about that."

            Appears that Ambassador Joe Wilson has his own conspiracy theories.
            Wilson wrote re the Iraq war:

            "The real agenda in all of this of course, was to redraw the
            political map of the Middle East. Now that is code, whether you like
            it or not, but it is code for putting into place the strategy
            memorandum that was done by Richard Perle and his study group in the
            mid-90's which was called, 'A Clean Break: A New Strategy for the
            Realm.' And what it is – cut to the quick – is if you take out some
            of these countries, some of these governments that are antagonistic
            to Israel then you provide the Israeli government with greater
            wherewithal to impose its terms and conditions upon the Palestinian
            people – whatever those terms and conditions might be. In other
            words, the road to peace in the Middle East goes through Baghdad and
            Damascus. Maybe Tehran. And maybe Cairo and maybe Tripoli if these
            guys actually have their way. Rather than going through Jerusalem."

            Wilson later added: "If Americans wake up some day and realize that
            their soldiers are "dying for Israel," the backlash would undermine
            our long-standing strategic relationship with Tel Aviv."

            There may be a good deal of truth to this conspiracy theory as well
            as other conspiracy theories concerning the current Administration.
            Facts will slowly emerge as they did during Watergate, Vietnam, Iran-
            Contra, etc., etc..

            I agree with Amin that it is a waste of time to live under a
            conspiracy rock but it is also ill advised to naively feed off of the
            pablum that any current Administration is force feeding. Democracy
            depends on an educated, informed citizenry.
          • Amin F. Abari
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
              Bob, you misunderstand me. The key to words to what I wrote were "…
              little thing…" I do subscribe to Joe Wilson's ideas (maybe not to
              that exaggerated level – but on the whole) and do not say
              conspiracies do not exist. Just that not ALL is a conspiracy.

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
                I found that Wilson piece when I was googling Gabon news.
                http://antiwar.com/justin/?articleid=8164

                I haven't evidenced any similar statements from Wilson including his
                book, "The Politics of Truth". That's one topic a little too hot for
                even Wilson to keep on the fire.

                It's naieve to think that Wolfowitz didn't help push through the
                recent $15 World Bank loan and $10 million grant right in the midst
                of the Gabonese three-week, presidential campaign for political (not
                economic or environmental) reasons.

                You certainly are entitled to your opinion about the Peace Corps,
                however, there are no valid simple generalties in assessing its
                value/worth to the local villages, developing nations, the volunteers
                or to the US. Many will argue that the Peace Corps is the best
                international program sponsored by the US and many, like you, will
                smirk at its perceived weaknesses.

                --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "Amin F. Abari"

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
                  http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/IRIN/deb437c5c0e267fe05d75fc2
                  e9ea90f2.htm

                  LIBREVILLE, 30 November (IRIN) - Omar Bongo, president of Gabon since
                  1967, has won a landslide victory at the polls, securing a further
                  seven years at the helm of the small oil-producing nation.

                  Already Africa's longest serving president after 38 years in office,
                  Bongo garnered almost 80 percent of the vote in Sunday's presidential
                  ballot, according to official results announced on national
                  television late Tuesday.

                  Bongo swept up 79.21 percent of votes cast, leaving his closest
                  rival, Pierre Mamboundou, trailing with 13.57 percent.

                  "And so, Omar Ondimba Bongo has been re-elected," declared Interior
                  Minister Clotaire-Christian Ivala.

                  Mamboundou and third place candidate, Zacharie Myboto, claimed
                  massive fraud, but the 30-odd international observers who monitored
                  the poll signed off broad approval.

                  "The vote passed off well, all in all," said Cheikh Gueye, a
                  Senegalese election observer for the International Organisation for
                  French-speaking countries (OIF). He noted however that polling
                  stations in some regions opened late due to the delayed arrival of
                  ballot boxes or officials.

                  According to results from the National Electoral Commission, turnout
                  was 63.29 percent, or 351,000 of the 555,000 eligible voters in the
                  country of 1.5 million people.

                  But a Western diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity, estimated
                  that no more than 30 or 35 percent of voters participated in Bongo's
                  third re-election since the adoption of multi-party politics in 1990.

                  Bongo worked hard and spared no expense in his campaign to secure re-
                  election.

                  In September, even before an election date had been set, the head of
                  state announced that he would make public schooling free. Three weeks
                  later, he offered a month's worth of free water and electricity to
                  100,000 households. And he was generous with his supporters at
                  political rallies.

                  Some 40 percent of Gabonese are unemployed and between 60 and 70
                  percent of the population live below the poverty line, according to
                  Fidele Pierre Nze-Guema a sociology professor at the main university
                  in the capital Libreville.

                  "But the government has the tools to address these social
                  challenges," said Nze-Guema.

                  Gabon, sandwiched between Congo and Cameroon, is relatively rich
                  compared to other countries in the region principally because of the
                  250,000 barrels of oil pumped out of the Gabonese ground each day.

                  But some are sceptical that the 69-year-old president will take
                  economic development forward.

                  On the streets of Libreville, Sylvianne Aleka, a 30 year old mother,
                  was despondent. "I know that with the re-election of Omar Bongo
                  nothing is going to change in the next seven years because he didn't
                  do a great deal before to address real problems, other than give out
                  the odd small gift."
                • dupont3@juno.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 8, 2005
                    Government corruption is more than just a conspiracy theory nowadays. It is a bonafide epidemic today and the positive thing to do is to fight against it. Each individual(citizen) needs to ask not what their country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.
                    So the true patriot is the one out there NOT buying the propaganda and ferreting out the actual conspiracy in conspiracy theory.
                    That is probably the most honorable thing one can do right now cause just a simple look will uncover all types of lies and deceptions. Dont listen to those people who brush off every shocking revelation as a conspiracy theory or who trivialize government corruption as if it is the way things are. That way is actually tearing apart our country piece by piece.

                    I use to hear a lot of talk about Omar Bongo being corrupt on this board and it is amazing to now see how the US government makes Bongo look like a saint right now. The poor mans hero is the rich mans terrorist.

                    So yea, you may think that the World Bank is out there trying to help poor governments when what they are really doing is prepetuating the interests of the rich at the morbid expense of the poor. All it takes is an open mind and a close look beyond the propaganda. The true patriot does these things and is not afraid to wreck his comfort zone with the truth no matter how disturbing it may be.

                    Ciao,
                    dupont

                    -- Tom LeBlanc <tom_leblanc_chico@...> wrote:
                    I agree with Amin. I'd rather try to do something
                    positive in the world rather than complain about how
                    unfair life is--although I do admit that I do my fair
                    share of complaining and ringing my hands.

                    From my experience, it's very easy to become cynical

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 16, 2005
                      http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=2414792005

                      Same situation in Gabon with the Bush Administration closing down the
                      Peace Corps and the Chinese engaged in infrastructure projects in Port
                      Gentil and other Gabonese locations.

                      When I was in Libreville in 2002, the Chinese had taken over the top
                      two floors of the InterContinental hotel for a weeks worth of meetings.
                      I also observed a few restaurants and other retail outlets run and
                      owned by Chinese.

                      Interesting that Schweitzer even had correspondence with Mao Tse-Tung
                      and, in 1963, forecasted that China would replace the West in Africa
                      and elsewhere.
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 16, 2005
                        On December 10, someone added six photos of a marriage to this
                        site's "Photos" section. Anyone know the details?
                      • Brad Hodges
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 16, 2005
                          Yeah, that would be me and my wife back in March.

                          Brad Hodges

                          bobutne <bobutne@...> a écrit : On December 10, someone added six photos of a marriage to this
                          site's "Photos" section. Anyone know the details?

                          ---------------------------------

                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 16, 2005
                            Beautiful woman. If you don't mind getting personal, where was the
                            marriage? Are you and Perrine in Gabon? How did you meet?
                          • Bradley Alan Hodges
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 16, 2005
                              --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "bobutne" <bobutne@y...> wrote:

                              > Beautiful woman. If you don't mind getting personal, where was the
                              > marriage? Are you and Perrine in Gabon? How did you meet?

                              Thanks! The marriage was in Libreville (Haut de Gue Gue). We moved to
                              Atlanta in August so I could go to grad school and she could study
                              English. She also braids hair.

                              We met teaching together at a school in Libreville.

                              It just occurred to me that you were in Fougamou in the 1960s. That
                              was my post. I've got a lot of photos there from 2002-2004 that I
                              could post.

                              Brad
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 16, 2005
                                Thanks for the response.

                                Please post any other photos including those in Fougamou.

                                What are your and Perrine's plans for the
                                future?

                                Our group of 36 PCVs (primary school construction with USAID help) was
                                the first to serve in Gabon, beginning in March 1963. We were greeted
                                from village to village with open arms and hearts from the locals. We
                                were called, "les blanc qui travais". To my knowledge, no one in our
                                group married a Gabonese but many, including me, had very close personal
                                relationships with the local femmes.

                                It's a real shame that the Bush Administration has closed down this
                                opportunity for many to experience state-sponsored, cultural sharing
                                experiences, and more.
                              • Bradley Alan Hodges
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 16, 2005
                                  Boukaye! Beyond the diamonds and uranium, I'm glad to hear you
                                  discovered Central Africa's best resource yet-la femme gabonaise. Sans
                                  te mentir, j'étais un bon villageois, comme ma femme aime me rappeler
                                  de temps en temps. J'attachais ma pirogue à un arbre au bord du
                                  Bitoukou (tu connais l'endroit?) après avoir passé un weekend à la
                                  chasse des crocodiles vers Mindoulou. Je faisais le mulamu ma mbari
                                  (le vin de palme) avec mes pôtes, et nous dansions le bwiti
                                  aprês...J'étais très intégré, quoi!

                                  C'est après que j'ai eu l'occasion de rencontrer une femme de la ville
                                  qui m'a cultivé, qui m'a montré les choses des moutangani (les blancs)...

                                  Ah, quelle chance, quand même, d'avoir vécu à Fougamou! Ce coin me
                                  manque beaucoup!

                                  Vive Tsamba-Magotsi!

                                  Son Excellence El Hadj Moussavou

                                  P.S.: <<Les blancs qui travaillent>>

                                  --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "bobutne" <bobutne@y...> wrote:

                                  > Thanks for the response.
                                  >
                                  > Please post any other photos including those in Fougamou.
                                  >
                                  > What are your and Perrine's plans for the
                                  > future?
                                  >
                                  > Our group of 36 PCVs (primary school construction with USAID help) was
                                  > the first to serve in Gabon, beginning in March 1963. We were greeted
                                  > from village to village with open arms and hearts from the locals. We
                                  > were called, "les blanc qui travais". To my knowledge, no one in our
                                  > group married a Gabonese but many, including me, had very close personal
                                  > relationships with the local femmes.
                                  >
                                  > It's a real shame that the Bush Administration has closed down this
                                  > opportunity for many to experience state-sponsored, cultural sharing
                                  > experiences, and more.

                                • Brad Hodges
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 16, 2005
                                    Bob,

                                    One other thing I'd like to say. As a PCV who followed your footsteps to Fougamou four decades later, your group did more than anyone there to make lasting changes. Do you know that those schools are still operating in villages between Fougamou and Mouila, and are still in good shape and still bear the Peace Corps insignia? That's more than I can say for efforts in more recent years to build gardens. Most have fallen by the wayside. I still talk with people in Fougamou often. If you'd like phone numbers, I'd be happy to provide them. My best friend there, Peeblé, worked with PCVs in Fougamou since the 70s.

                                    Kudos (Akewa, Diboty, etcetera etcetera)

                                    Brad

                                    Bradley Alan Hodges <niakurondi@...> a écrit : Boukaye! Beyond the diamonds and uranium, I'm glad to hear you
                                    discovered Central Africa's best resource yet-la femme gabonaise. Sans
                                    te mentir, j'étais un bon villageois, comme ma femme aime me rappeler
                                    de temps en temps. J'attachais ma pirogue à un arbre au bord du
                                    Bitoukou (tu connais l'endroit?) après avoir passé un weekend à la
                                    chasse des crocodiles vers Mindoulou. Je faisais le mulamu ma mbari
                                    (le vin de palme) avec mes pôtes, et nous dansions le bwiti
                                    aprês...J'étais très intégré, quoi!

                                    C'est après que j'ai eu l'occasion de rencontrer une femme de la ville
                                    qui m'a cultivé, qui m'a montré les choses des moutangani (les blancs)...

                                    Ah, quelle chance, quand même, d'avoir vécu à Fougamou! Ce coin me
                                    manque beaucoup!

                                    Vive Tsamba-Magotsi!

                                    Son Excellence El Hadj Moussavou

                                    P.S.: <<Les blancs qui travaillent>>

                                    --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "bobutne" <bobutne@y...> wrote:

                                    > Thanks for the response.
                                    >
                                    > Please post any other photos including those in Fougamou.
                                    >
                                    > What are your and Perrine's plans for the
                                    > future?
                                    >
                                    > Our group of 36 PCVs (primary school construction with USAID help) was
                                    > the first to serve in Gabon, beginning in March 1963. We were greeted
                                    > from village to village with open arms and hearts from the locals. We
                                    > were called, "les blanc qui travais". To my knowledge, no one in our
                                    > group married a Gabonese but many, including me, had very close personal
                                    > relationships with the local femmes.
                                    >
                                    > It's a real shame that the Bush Administration has closed down this
                                    > opportunity for many to experience state-sponsored, cultural sharing
                                    > experiences, and more.

                                    Gabon Libreville gabon Gabon visa Past present and future

                                    ---------------------------------

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 19, 2005
                                      Brad, I especially like this one:

                                      u+II&.dnm=Brad+and+Perrine+in+Pirogue.jpg&.src=gr&.done=http%
                                      3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/gabondiscussion/vwp%
                                      3f.dir=/Fougamou%2bII%26.dnm=Classe%2bde%2bsixi%25e8me%2bavec%2bB%
                                      25e9kal%25e9.jpg%26.src=gr

                                      Bob

                                      --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, Brad Hodges <niakurondi@y...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Bob,
                                      >
                                      > One other thing I'd like to say. As a PCV who followed your
                                      footsteps to Fougamou four decades later, your group did more than
                                      anyone there to make lasting changes. Do you know that those schools
                                      are still operating in villages between Fougamou and Mouila, and are
                                      still in good shape and still bear the Peace Corps insignia? That's
                                      more than I can say for efforts in more recent years to build
                                      gardens. Most have fallen by the wayside. I still talk with people
                                      in Fougamou often. If you'd like phone numbers, I'd be happy to
                                      provide them. My best friend there, Peeblé, worked with PCVs in
                                      Fougamou since the 70s.

                                      > Kudos (Akewa, Diboty, etcetera etcetera)
                                      >
                                      > Brad
                                      >
                                      > Bradley Alan Hodges <niakurondi@y...> a écrit : Boukaye!
                                      Beyond the diamonds and uranium, I'm glad to hear you
                                      > discovered Central Africa's best resource yet-la femme gabonaise.
                                      Sans
                                      > te mentir, j'étais un bon villageois, comme ma femme aime me
                                      rappeler
                                      > de temps en temps. J'attachais ma pirogue à un arbre au bord du
                                      > Bitoukou (tu connais l'endroit?) après avoir passé un weekend à la
                                      > chasse des crocodiles vers Mindoulou. Je faisais le mulamu ma
                                      mbari
                                      > (le vin de palme) avec mes pôtes, et nous dansions le bwiti
                                      > aprês...J'étais très intégré, quoi!
                                      >
                                      > C'est après que j'ai eu l'occasion de rencontrer une femme de la
                                      ville
                                      > qui m'a cultivé, qui m'a montré les choses des moutangani (les
                                      blancs)...

                                      > Ah, quelle chance, quand même, d'avoir vécu à Fougamou! Ce coin me
                                      > manque beaucoup!
                                      >
                                      > Vive Tsamba-Magotsi!
                                      >
                                      > Son Excellence El Hadj Moussavou
                                      >
                                      > P.S.: <<Les blancs qui travaillent>>
                                      >
                                      > --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "bobutne" <bobutne@y...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > > Thanks for the response.
                                      > >
                                      > > Please post any other photos including those in Fougamou.
                                      > >
                                      > > What are your and Perrine's plans for the
                                      > > future?
                                      > >
                                      > > Our group of 36 PCVs (primary school construction with USAID
                                      help) was
                                      > > the first to serve in Gabon, beginning in March 1963. We were
                                      greeted
                                      > > from village to village with open arms and hearts from the
                                      locals. We
                                      > > were called, "les blanc qui travais". To my knowledge, no one
                                      in our
                                      > > group married a Gabonese but many, including me, had very close
                                      personal
                                      > > relationships with the local femmes.
                                      > >
                                      > > It's a real shame that the Bush Administration has closed down
                                      this
                                      > > opportunity for many to experience state-sponsored, cultural
                                      sharing
                                      > > experiences, and more.

                                      Gabon Libreville
                                      gabon Gabon