Doubling of the Peace Corps

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2002
      Bush announced, tonight, that he wanted the Peace
      Corps to double within five years. That's an increase
      of less than 9,000 to around 20,000 serving the
      world overseas. Compare that with the approximately
      500,000 US military personnel serving abroad. <br><br>Not
      exactly a ringing endorsement of the power/worth of PCVs
      overseas. In my book, we need at least 100,000 PCVs
      overseas, now, helping to build peace/development overseas
      and to bring back more enlightened/experienced
      Americans to strengthen the US.