Re: [Gabon Discussion] Bongo angers exiles

  • dupont3@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2005
      Omar Bongo is the best and most experienced man for the job. Why change a good thing? I would like to know more about the opposition candidates and what they stand for.
      I just do not think that term limits is a good thing. I have seen the quality of leadership in the State of California and the City of LA go down when they instituted term limits.Contrary to popular belief, term limits reduces the power of the electorate and forces politicians to make short term decisions based on their limited time in office. It also forces good politicians out just for the sake of change.

      Not every "joe" leader type has the skills and ability to be an effective politician and leader. I understand that President Bongo has been in office longer than most people can remember, but I just do not see any reason to change what Bongo has established in Gabon.
      Just look what happened in Cote d'Voire when Houphou�t-Boigny died?
      I will take a strong leader and stability over the revolving door method any day.

      Around the world we need to take a step back and look at the quality of politicians that we continue to put in power. That rings especially true here in the US and I am sure that it is relevant in Gabon also. We have to be very careful what we wish for, because behind the facade of many pretenders to the throne is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

      Ciao,
      dupont

      -- "bobutne" <bobutne@...> wrote:
      A decision by Africa's longest-serving leader to seek another seven
      years in power has been criticised. President Omar Bongo, who came to
      power in 1967, said at the weekend that he had "listened to the
      people" and would seek another term in December's poll.

      The 69-year-old's government recently told opposition leaders they
      would lose their passports if they left Gabon. A group of exiles,
      called Bongo Must Leave, says Gabon's people have had enough of his
      authoritarian rule.

      "We are against the whole system, which Mr Bongo represents. We want
      to clean it all up," leader Serge Besac told the BBC's Network Africa
      by telephone from Washington.

      The 69-year-old president launched a crackdown after complaints by an
      opposition leader that the electoral register for December's
      presidential poll had been inflated.

      He was also said to be angered by a protest organised outside the
      United Nations last month, staged as he was addressing a summit.

      The government in Gabon has made changes to the constitution which
      would allow President Bongo to run for office as many times as he
      wishes.

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4307838.stm

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2005
        Agree that especially during the past half decade, the US is a poor
        beacon of democracy. Congressman are virtually guaranteed to be
        reelected due to gerrymandering, the last two Presidential elections
        were fraught with fraud, the press remains afraid to challenge the
        Administration and when they do (like Dan Rather found) they get fired,
        etc..

        President Omar Bongo is no different from any politician on this
        planet. He wants to remain powerful until the bitter end. The French
        have assured him, no problem. The Gabonese aren't even real players in
        this saga. The weak are co-opted or flee overseas. The strong are who
        knows where?

        Any doubt that Omar Bongo would be quickly thrown out if the French
        troops abandoned him? It would be very interesting to view that
        scenario.