Bongo angers exiles

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 5, 2005
      A decision by Africa's longest-serving leader to seek another seven
      years in power has been criticised. President Omar Bongo, who came to
      power in 1967, said at the weekend that he had "listened to the
      people" and would seek another term in December's poll.

      The 69-year-old's government recently told opposition leaders they
      would lose their passports if they left Gabon. A group of exiles,
      called Bongo Must Leave, says Gabon's people have had enough of his
      authoritarian rule.

      "We are against the whole system, which Mr Bongo represents. We want
      to clean it all up," leader Serge Besac told the BBC's Network Africa
      by telephone from Washington.

      The 69-year-old president launched a crackdown after complaints by an
      opposition leader that the electoral register for December's
      presidential poll had been inflated.

      He was also said to be angered by a protest organised outside the
      United Nations last month, staged as he was addressing a summit.

      The government in Gabon has made changes to the constitution which
      would allow President Bongo to run for office as many times as he
      wishes.

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4307838.stm