Celebrating Africans' Achievements.... Presenting the best of the bests....

  • Moderator Matto
    Message 1 of 4 , May 13, 2005
      6-Story Newsletter Template + Images
      Celebrating Africans Achievements.... Giving honor to whom honor is due...

      ChatAfriK e~world proudly presents Africans and descendants of Africa for it's 1st African Awards Honors.

      www.AfricanAwards.com

      Presenting the best of the bests....

      Africa Man of the Year
      Philip Emegwali (Nigeria)
      Computer Scientist, Father of SuperComputer

      Africa Woman of the Year
      Dr.(Mrs.) Wangari Muta Mathai (Kenya)
      Professor/Environmentalist. Noble Prize winner

      Africa Youth of the Year
      Mr. Kamildeen Olufowobi (Nigeria)
      AfriPRO, NiPRO

      Business Person of the Year
      Mrs. Julie Ndjee (Cameroon)
      Ultimate Seasonings

      Sportsman of the Year
      Mr. Freddy Adu, (Ghana)
      Soccer Player, D.C. United

      Sportswoman of the Year
      Mrs. Catherine Ndereba (Kenya)
      Marathon Winner

      Broadcaster of the Year
      Ms. Tumi Makgabo (South Africa)
      CNN

      Entertainer of the Year
      Mr. Yaya Dialo (Mali)
      Musician

      Academic Achievements Awards
      African Studies:Dr. Sulayman Nyang (Gambia)
      Professor

      Life Achievement Awards
      Ms. Hadja Saran Daraba Kaba (Guinea)
      Founding President Mano River Women's Peace Network (MARWOPNET)

      Late Deyda Hydara (Gambia)
      Founder, The Point newspaper

      Dr. (Mrs.) Kemafo Nonyerem Chikwe (Nigeria)
      Former Minister of Aviation

      Community Business Award (Corporate)
      Western Union (U.S.A)

      Special Honorable Awards

      Dele Giwa Excellence in Print Journalism Award

      Gamal Gorkeh Nkrumah (Ghana)
      Journalist, Al-Ahram Weekly, Cairo, Egypt

      Randal Robinson Solidarity Award

      Randal Robinson (United States)

      Former President, TransAfrica Forum

      African Heritage Awards

      Philanthropic & Humanitarian Awards

      Oprah Winfrey

      TV Host

      Kweisi Mfume

      Former President & CEO NAACP

      Louis H.Sullivan Foundation (NGO)

      African Stateman Award

      Olusegun Obasanjo

      President of Nigeria, Chairman African Union

      For his leadership role in restoring peace into Liberia

      Official Presentation of Awards on

      Saturday June 4, 2005

      AT

      Washington Convention Center
      801, Mount Vernon Place, NW. Washington D.C. 20001
      www.dcconvention.com (202) 249-3000

      Live Music by; Double-Award winning
      Jirbo Ntunta & the SOUKOUS STARS Band
      supported by other Entertainers
      and African Cultural Dancers.

      Tickets: General Admission $50.00, VIP $100.00

      Visits African People's Intercontinental Awards website www.AfricanAwards.com

      African People's Intercontinental Awards - Information contacts:
      Cecilia Gugu Vilakazi (South Africa) 301-593-5982 Coordinator Arts & Craft
      Mola Kalejaiye (Nigeria) 443-983-3482 Coordinator Fashion Showcase
      Abou Syllar (Ivory Coast) 301-445-7837 Coordinator Entertainment
      Dyer Mwangi (Kenya) 240-678-3944 Coordinator Graphics & Design
      Jesmed Suma (Sierra Leone) 240-432-9095 Coordinator Guests & Business Relations
      Junda Kennedy-Morris (Liberia) 301-599-8692 Coordinator VIP & Diplomatic Protocols

      Nkem Egede-Ojomo 301-332-7180
      Event Planner & Director

      Martin Akindana (Moderator Matto) 301-651-9309 matto1@...
      CEO, African People's Intercontinental Awards

      ChatAfrik is a subsidiary of Fastrac Corporation LLC
      P.0. Box 502, Beltsville MD 20704.

      Message 2 of 4 , May 20, 2005
        has an article featuring adventure travel to Luongo, Gabon including a
        kayak trip straight out of Dante's Inferno.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 16, 2005
          "My big sister went to Gabon in 1993. One day, I was at home when a
          man came to the house, saying that he had come on behalf of my
          sister," said Zenabou, now 18 years old.

          The man explained to the family that Zenabou's sister wanted the then
          eight year old Zenabou to join her in Gabon. She would be sent to
          school and well looked after there, he said.

          "My poor mother!" exclaimed Zenabou. "If she had ever imagined that
          her own daughter could abuse her confidence like that, she would
          never have sent me to live with her in Gabon!"

          Soon afterwards, Zenabou was setting out for Gabon with a load of
          other trafficked children.

          "I can't remember how many of us kids there were, but we were quite a
          few. We headed out for Gabon by boat."

          "I remember there was a two week stop over in Nigeria where we were
          only given one meal a day. We arrived in Gabon tired out and hungry,"
          she said.

          Zenabou thought all would be well when she got to her sister's, but
          the promised school enrolment never materialised.

          "For four years I did the housework for her at her place. Then in
          1999 [when Zenabou was 12] I began my martyrdom in Gabon." Zenabou
          was set to work at the market.

          "I would get up at 3 a.m. every day to pack and fry fritters ready to
          sell by 10 a.m."

          "Everyday I would make 30,000 CFA [US $60] but never had any of it
          for myself. They told me once that money was sent home to my parents,
          but that was a lie," she said.

          "One day on doing the accounts when I got back from the market, it
          was clear that there was 100 CFA [20 cents] missing. I didn't dare
          say anything even though it was me that took it [to buy food] - I was
          so hungry - but I knew I would be punished."

          "I was beaten black and blue by my sister, even a chicken thief would
          not have deserved such a hiding!"

          It was after that beating that Zenabou vowed to get home.

          One day in the street she heard that the Togolese embassy was helping
          children like herself to get repatriated.

          After explaining her situation at the embassy, the Togolese
          ambassador intervened on her behalf and Zenabou's sister was forced
          to buy her a plane ticket home.

          Zenabou is now back in Sokode and learning dressmaking at PASEORSC -
          the local NGO that traced and reunited her with her family.

          http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/IRIN/319b9a099258f607a4c12619
          022eed9f.htm
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2005
            Peace Corps Director Gaddi H. Vasquez announced today that the Peace
            Corps will officially suspend its program in the African nation of
            Gabon effective August 31. The decision comes after a 2-year review
            of operations that showed significantly higher costs to support the
            volunteers in Gabon relative to other Peace Corps programs in
            Africa.

            "The Peace Corps regrets the necessity to suspend the program in
            Gabon after a 31-year partnership with its citizens. More than 1,460
            Americans have respectfully and honorably assisted the people of
            Gabon as Peace Corps volunteers through a long history, dating back
            to 1963 when the first group arrived to build schools in rural
            areas," said Director Vasquez.

            All Peace Corps volunteers in Gabon completed their primary projects
            in the sectors of health and HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention,
            education, and environmental education. As of July 5, all Peace Corps
            volunteers had completed their service and left the country.

            Factors contributing to the program suspension include the high cost
            of the Gabon program, weighing in at over three times as much as the
            average Peace Corps program in Africa, and a scarcity in finding host
            country counterparts to work with the volunteers and ensure their
            transition into the community — an element that is critical in the
            volunteers' success. In addition, a 2003 Inspector General report
            documented safety and security costs of $1 million that would be
            necessary to keep the program operating successfully. The Peace Corps
            will continue to assess the situation in Gabon and will look at the
            possibility of re-entry in the future.

            http://i-newswire.com/pr35288.html