Bob Utne, the Peace Corps in Gabon is......Larry Jackson.

  • SUPORTLINK@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 17, 2005
      Dear Bob:

      The Peace Corps in Gabon is not an effective use of USA tax dollars. The
      government of Gabon is corrupt, and Peace Corps Volunteers are in too much
      danger. The Peace Corps is NOT the end all to be all, or is the Peace Corps the
      answer to every international issue of the USA.

      Yours Truly,
      Larry R. Jackson, Support Links Services
      3700 Buchanan Ave., Space #68
      Riverside, CA 92503
      Phone: (951) 273-1776.....Fax: (951) 273-1755
      Cell: (951) 850-8596
      Web site: _www.SupLnk.com_ (http://www.suplnk.com/)

      Email: Larry.Jackson@...
      "Failure Is Not An Option In This Lifetime!"

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 18, 2005
        RABAT, Morocco (Reuters) -- Morocco's national flag carrier Royal Air
        Maroc (RAM) will soon launch an airline company with six Central
        African countries, a move set to expand further its presence in
        Africa, a company manager said on Thursday. The creation of Air Cemac
        aims at breaking the isolation of these countries and will offer an
        adequate solution to the crisis hitting central Africa's main,
        heavily indebted carriers, Camair of Cameroon and Air Gabon, the
        manager said.

        "The full details of this joint-venture will be revealed next week,"
        the manager told Reuters, declining to elaborate on the share-
        ownership of the new carrier. Shareholders in the new airline will
        include state-controlled RAM, Cameroon, Central African Republic,
        Congo Republic, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon and Chad, he said.

        An accord between RAM and the six countries will be signed next week
        during a visit by King Mohammed to Gabon, he added.

        Air France, which holds minority stakes in Camair and Air Gabon, was
        a candidate to pilot the project but fears of conflicting commercial
        interests prompted the six countries to opt for RAM....

        It was not immediately known how Air Cemac would operate and what
        equipment it would use. Air Gabon and Camair have six aircraft each
        and both carry a million passengers each year. RAM has 32 mainly
        Boeing aircraft and operates 900 flights per week to 67 destinations
        in 40 countries. It carries up to 3.3 million passengers a year.
      • tom_leblanc_chico
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 8, 2005
          Dear Larry,

          So what do you think would be an effective use of US tax dollars? I
          didn't know that Peace Corps had a corruption and/or danger index to
          determine whether it should be in a country. As far as I know, all
          the countries where Peace Corps is present are corrupt and dangerous.

          Peace,

          Tom

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 16, 2005
            Gabon media bosses warned over double jobs; Libreville, Gabon 16
            September 2005

            Gabon's National Communication Council (CNC) has warned the bosses of
            22 private newspapers and radio stations to stop doubling up jobs
            incompatible with their public duties, a CNC statement said. The CNC
            on Thursday quoted the code that regulates the media in the oil-rich
            Central African nation, whereby people with government, civil
            service, judicial or military office "cannot be owners or
            beneficiaries of audiovisual firms".

            CNC press officer Nestor Ella said the named chairpersons or
            publishing editors of six private radio stations and 16
            newspapers "are all in the civil service. That's not right." Those
            Ella identified include ministerial advisers and even an adviser to
            CNC president Pierre Marie Dong. The CNC order will not take
            immediate effect, but Ella said that "from December 31, those who
            haven't sorted out their situation will receive a final warning
            before their media outlets are shut down."

            Much of a lively private press in Gabon, though circulation is
            limited, is considered to be the mouthpiece of various officials in
            the regime, particularly government ministers, who use it to their
            own political ends. The CNC is appointed by President Omar Bongo and
            the speakers of the two Houses of Parliament. It has shut down a
            number of papers since 2003, and several private newspaper groups
            earlier this year accused it of actions leading to the muzzling of
            the press and democratic debate in Gabon, which has been ruled by
            Bongo since 1967. -- Sapa-AFP

            Air Gabon resumes flights to Paris

            LIBREVILLE, September 16 -- The management of Air Gabon, which has
            lacked wide-bodied passenger planes for several months, announced
            here Friday that the airline would resume flights to Paris on 26
            September. In a news released issued in Libreville, the management
            said that initially the airline will make a weekly flight using an
            Airbus A300-200 with a capacity of 364 seats (21 in business class
            and 343 in economic class). The government provided a grant to secure
            the aircraft. The ageing Air Gabon fleet had been reduced to a single
            Boeing 767-200 plane for long and middle distance flights.
            For lack of aircraft, the airline was obliged to completely halt all
            flights. Its Boeing 767-200 and 737-200 aircraft were grounded due to
            engine problems.

            In 2004, the airline reviewed its flight schedule along the African
            West coast and cancelled flights along unprofitable routes, including
            the Libreville-Dubai stretch that was very popular with West African
            business operators. According to the Prime Minister, Air Gabon has a
            heavy debt burden estimated at between 25 billion and 60 billion FCFA
            (about US$110 millions) and faces problems paying monthly wages to
            its employees. Air Gabon was created in 1977 with a capital ofe 6.5
            billion FCFA (US$10 million) after Libreville's withdrawal from the
            now defunct multinational airline, Air Afrique. - pana
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 27, 2005
              Libreville, Gabon,09/26 - The Union of Air Gabon Workers (SYPAG) has
              sent a letter to President Omar Bongo Ondimba to ask him to choose
              the US firm, International Trading Service Centre (ITSC), as
              a "strategic partner" in the privatisation of the troubled Air Gabon.

              According to SYPAG secretary-general, Pierre Boukila Boundzanga, the
              ITSC has proposed to lease for Air Gabon three aircraft (Boeing 777-
              200, 737-300 and 747-400) at the rate of 380 million CFA francs per
              month should the US firm get the right to run the airline. The
              company will also pay a two billion CFA franc deposit as a guarantee
              for the planes, he added.

              In an open letter copied to PANA, the SYPAG stressed that under the
              previous management, Air Atlanta Company had been renting to Air
              Gabon a Boeing 767-300 at a premium price of 220 million CFA francs
              for several months. In addition, the letter added, the ITSC is said
              to be interested in the opening of Air Gabon`s capital and ready to
              take 51 per cent shares of the company`s capital as planned in the
              Gabonese government`s "business plan."

              If ITSC`s proposal is accepted, the company may add a new Boeing to
              the company`s fleet, which would make it four the number of aircraft
              proposed by the US Company. Also, the ITSC would like to participate
              in the building of a new terminal in Libreville, the extension of
              Mvengue terminal in Franceville (south- east) as an alternative
              airport and set up an air logistics centre in Gabon, the SYPAG added.

              The Gabonese government, which remains the only shareholder of Air
              Gabon, whose the debt is estimated at 60 million CFA francs, after
              the withdrawal of Air France, has decided to find a strategic partner
              for the company`s survival.

              Talks are under way with Royal Air Maroc (RAM), in order to set up a
              company on the model of Air Senegal International, in which RAM has
              51 per cent of shares. But Gabonese NGOs and SYPAG denounced the
              talks with RAM.

              http://www.angolapress-angop.ao/noticia-e.asp?ID=377696
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 5, 2005
                A decision by Africa's longest-serving leader to seek another seven
                years in power has been criticised. President Omar Bongo, who came to
                power in 1967, said at the weekend that he had "listened to the
                people" and would seek another term in December's poll.

                The 69-year-old's government recently told opposition leaders they
                would lose their passports if they left Gabon. A group of exiles,
                called Bongo Must Leave, says Gabon's people have had enough of his
                authoritarian rule.

                "We are against the whole system, which Mr Bongo represents. We want
                to clean it all up," leader Serge Besac told the BBC's Network Africa
                by telephone from Washington.

                The 69-year-old president launched a crackdown after complaints by an
                opposition leader that the electoral register for December's
                presidential poll had been inflated.

                He was also said to be angered by a protest organised outside the
                United Nations last month, staged as he was addressing a summit.

                The government in Gabon has made changes to the constitution which
                would allow President Bongo to run for office as many times as he
                wishes.

                http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4307838.stm