Thank you for your response, but...Larry...[Gabon Discussion] Digest Number 345

  • SUPORTLINK@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2005
      Thank you for your reply's to my question. I stated in my original email
      that "I know", referring to how to "return" to NOVEMBER. 1962.

      My answer and knowledge will not be understood by so many of you
      "intellectual garu eggheads", or you "liberal-soft on crime minds" but the answer is to
      accept the TEACHINGS, & FOLLOW the LIFE OF JESUS CHRIST!!!

      Please, ALL of you "eggheads" & "liberals" don't embarrase yourself and even
      OVER TO JESUS CHRIST!

      JESUS IS ALIVE IN 2005!!!!!

      Yours Truly,
      Larry R. Jackson, Support Links Services
      3700 Buchanan Ave., Space #68
      Riverside, CA 92503
      Phone: (951) 273-1776.....Fax: (951) 273-1755
      Cell: (951) 850-8596
      Web site: _www.SupLnk.com_ (http://www.suplnk.com/)
      "Failure Is Not An Option In This Lifetime!"

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2005
        Where America stands, what America does By Jim Mullins

        Exit polls taken during the Nov. 2 presidential election indicated
        that most Bush voters quoted "moral values" as the prime motivation
        for their vote. This is difficult to understand in view of the wide
        publicity given to rampant torture at Iraq's Abu Graib prison,
        Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay. Torture that was illegal under the
        various Geneva Conventions and a war crime mandated by the 1996
        Congressional War Crimes Act -- but apparently condoned by a "moral
        values" president in actions taken under his authority as commander
        in chief.

        Torture is immoral under any circumstance. It is a degrading and
        inhuman act that deprives those tortured of their basic human
        dignity. It inflicts unbearable physical pain without mercy by
        chaining them in fetal positions in their bodily waste, in extreme
        cold or heat without clothing, food or water in blinding light or
        total darkness and ear-splitting sound. It attacks the tortured's
        sense of self-worth and identity as a human being by forcing them to
        commit sexual acts or to eat out of toilets.

        These are acts known to the world as committed by U.S. forces or
        mercenaries. The International Red Cross reported these
        transgressions long before conscience-stricken U.S. soldiers revealed
        the horrific pictures being passed around as souvenirs.

        We now know that the CIA had "ghost detainees" hidden from Red Cross
        inspectors in secret prisons around the world. And that some were
        blindfolded and put on planes at Guantanamo under the pretense that
        they were being flown to another country known to torture with
        impunity and flown back to Guantanamo to be tortured again.

        Former Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet was charged with using
        Chilean hospitals where those tortured nearly to the point of death
        were revived by doctors in order to endure more of the same. Pinochet
        is now being prosecuted in Chile for war crimes. American medical
        professionals are reportedly involved in aspects of torture in
        Guantanamo.

        Rendition describes the process of taking a suspect from one state's
        jurisdiction to a state where torture is condoned and practiced. The
        United States has planes flying around the world engaged in this
        illegal, criminal and despicable act.

        In June 2003, on U.N. International Day in Support of Victims of
        Torture, President Bush said "Freedom from torture is an inalienable
        human right, and we are committed to building a world where human
        rights are respected and protected by rule of law … America stands
        against and will not tolerate torture. We will investigate and
        prosecute all acts of torture and undertake to prevent other cruel
        and unusual punishment in all territory under our jurisdiction."

        Note jurisdiction and the evident hypocrisy, for Guantanamo is on
        Cuban territory and his administration insists that U.S. law has no
        jurisdiction and provides no protection to U.S. war prisoners
        incarcerated there. An obvious contradiction.

        According to published reports, the U.S. intends to hold prisoners at
        Guantanamo for an unlimited time without trial. Afghan fighters swept
        up in the invasion of Afghanistan after 9-11 lost the rights under
        the Geneva Conventions by a sophistry that they were not prisoners of
        war but "enemy combatants." Now, useless and expendable after three
        years of torture, they won't be released because the whole sordid
        story, as now told by a few released Australian and British
        prisoners, would shock the world.

        Despite President Bush's words about "freedom from torture and
        inalienable human rights," he nominated as attorney general -- our
        top U.S. law enforcement official -- his former legal counsel,
        Alberto Gonzales, who provided him with memos authorizing torture
        designed to circumvent the Geneva Conventions as "quaint and
        obsolete" and the U.S. War Crimes Act as inapplicable.

        It is clear that responsibility for torture committed by American
        soldiers cannot be confined to "a few bad apples."

        America's young men and women -- deceived into believing that Iraqis
        caused the terrorist horrors of 9-11 and ordered to "soften up"
        prisoners -- are shouldering the blame for American departure from
        civilized behavior when the blame goes to those at the top.

        President Truman said that the buck stopped at his desk. President
        Bush acknowledges no mistakes and insists that his re-election was
        his "accountability moment." Not taking responsibility for torture
        committed by impressionable young soldiers is an abdication of moral
        conduct that he should be held accountable for by the American
        people.

        Jim Mullins is a senior fellow at the Center for International Policy
        in Washington, D.C., and a resident of Delray Beach.