Re: Bob, your "points" are good, but it is.....Larry Jackson.

  • aminabari@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2005
      I'd hate to disagree, but I think the "MORALS" you claim existed in
      1962 are just nostalgia for your youth. It's like the people who
      are 10 years older than you always claim that the "50s" were all
      great and wonderful and I'll bet 40 years from now there will be a
      generation that will laud the "wonderful" decade we live in now.
      Did you forget what was going on in Vietnam in 1962? It was during
      those "moral" times that the policies were put in place that ended
      up killing 5 million Vietnamese, Lao, and Cambodians – and yes,
      58,000 Americans – in years to come.

      And this American infatuation with Kennedy is another shock to me.
      It is amazing how few Americans know of what Kennedy really did and
      how much of what he supposedly did. But I guess that happens
      everywhere in the world with a "martyr" – the fog of myth encircles
      them immediately and does not allow the reality to be seen or
      questioned. I bet if he was living today, he would have been the
      biggest embarrassment to the "moral" Americans. Clinton and Bush
      would be considered Saints next to him – albeit for different
      reasons.

      Even the Peace Corps that Kennedy gets all the credit for was not
      built on such moral reasons as people think. Don't forget that it
      was just a part of the State Department and it had a very clear
      charter as what it was intended to do. Don't get me wrong, I think
      the Peace Corps is a wonderful institution. I have many close
      friends that are RPCVs and I would venture to say 95% of people that
      join the Peace Corps are exactly the type of people that I would
      like to see more of in any society, but especially in US. Granted
      there are some that are young and a lost and with no immediate
      prospects in their future and want an adventure and/or to find
      themselves, more than anything else. But still most are, idealist,
      young, energetic youth that truly want to help their fellow man.

      p.s., the current American Ambassador to Gabon and his wife are both
      RPCVs. They served in Sudan if I'm not mistaken.

      --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, SUPORTLINK@a... wrote:
      > Bob:
      > Your "points" are good, but it is NOT NOVEMBER, 1962, anymore.
      >
      > I truly wish our nation, our people (both young & old), and our
      MORALS were
      > the same as they were when we arrived in New York City on
      Thanksgiving Day,

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
        "And this American infatuation with Kennedy is another shock to me."

        You had to have been there to know what I am talking about. Kennedy
        inspired the entire world at that time. The warts are left to the
        gossip columnists and the self-righteous right wingers.