RE: [Gabon Discussion] Libreville, water, water everywhere but not a drop to drink

  • C Yombi
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2004
      My family in Libreville has had endless problems with, not access, but
      availability. The water may be hooked up, but the actual supply is often cut
      for days at a time. I am not at all surprised, and I am sure the problem
      will get worse for many neighborhoods.

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2004
        http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?
        Article=91138&Sn=SPOR&IssueID=27171

        Unsung Gabon shock Algerians

        JOHANNESBURG: Algerians are in a state of shock after their national
        team suffered a humiliating home defeat at the hands of unheralded
        Gabon on Sunday.

        Algeria, who twice reached the World Cup in the 1980s, lost 3-0 at
        home to the central African nation in a qualifier in Annaba on Sunday
        that left them bottom of Group Three.

        Algeria fell apart after the 43rd minute dismissal of the
        temperamental Abdelmalek Cherrad, who headbutted a Gabonese defender,
        and conceded three goals in the second-half.

        Gabon rejoiced in the first win of their campaign but Algeria's
        defeat was a far cry from their exploits at the 1982 World Cup in
        Spain, where they beat West Germany, and the 1986 finals in Mexico
        where they were one of two African teams.
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2004
          BEIJING, Sept. 8 (Xinhuanet) -- Chinese President Hu Jintao put
          forward proposals for developing the relationship between China and
          Gabon here Wednesday during his talks with visiting Gabonese
          President El Habj Omar Bongo Ondimba. Hu said China is ready to work
          with Gabon to maintain the good momentum of the development of
          bilateral relations.

          In order to promote bilateral relations, Hu proposed that the two
          countries should push forward political communications and people-to-
          people exchanges, saying the two sides should further enhance mutual
          understanding and friendship so as to lay a solid foundation for the
          long-term development of bilateral relations.

          Secondly, Hu said the two countries should further tap into
          thepotential of trade and economic cooperation and expand the scale
          of cooperation. He said China will continue to encourage strong and
          prestigious Chinese enterprises to invest and do business in Gabon.
          He hoped the two sides to expand cooperation in such resources
          development areas as oil, mining and re-forestation. Also he hoped
          that they could explore such cooperative areas as agriculture, water
          conservancy and fishing.

          Thirdly, Hu said the two countries should deepen exchanges and
          cooperation in such fields as education, culture and public health
          and step up collaboration in human resources development under the
          framework of China-Africa Forum.

          Finally, Hu said the two countries should give a bigger role to
          the political consultation mechanism between their foreign ministries
          so as to maintain sound cooperation and coordination on international
          affairs.

          Hu said that China treasures its traditional friendship with
          Africa, and China firmly supports the development and revitalization
          of Africa. He said the China-Africa Forum has become an important
          platform for reinforcing solidarity and cooperation between China and
          Africa in the new situation. He said China is ready to join efforts
          with all African countries, including Gabon, to fully utilize this
          platform by strengthening all-round cooperation, continuously opening
          up new channels and adding new content to this cooperation, so as to
          lift the new partnership between China and Africa to higher
          standards.

          Both Hu and Bongo expressed the willingness to further develop
          the traditional friendship and cooperation between the two countries.
          Hu said in the past three decades since the two countries established
          diplomatic links, both sides have understood and trusted each other
          and cooperate on an equal footing. He said China and Gabon has been
          good friends and good partners who have withstood the test of time.

          Noting that an important consensus has been reached on developing
          bilateral relations under the new conditions during hisvisit to Gabon
          last February, Hu said bilateral exchanges and cooperation have shown
          new face of prosperity due to the joint efforts of both sides. Hu
          expressed his appreciation of Gabon's firm support to China on
          China's great cause of reunification and on international affairs.

          Bongo agreed with Hu on his comments on bilateral relations. He
          reiterated Gabon's stance on firmly sticking to the one-China policy
          and its support to China's cause of reunification.

          Bongo said President Hu's proposals on further developing
          bilateral relations are practical and feasible and bear profound
          significance on deepening bilateral cooperation. He said Gabon is
          working hard on development and construction of the country. He
          expressed his wish to strengthen cooperation with China in the
          development of such infrastructures as railway, highway, deep-water
          ports and hydropower stations.

          Bongo briefed Hu about the current situation of Africa and the
          existing hot issues. Noting that China is a true friend of Africa,he
          said Gabon and other African countries wish to deepen cooperation
          with China and hope that China will play a bigger rolein resolving
          the hot issues in Africa.

          After the talks, the two heads of state attended the signing
          ceremony of a few documents between the governments of the two
          countries, including the agreement on economic and technological
          cooperation.

          http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004-09/09/content_1960005.htm