RE: [Gabon Discussion] Gabon Annual Report from Reporters Without Borders

  • Jeremy Rich
    Message 1 of 4 , May 18, 2004
      It would be sad if there were no more PCV's in Gabon. Typical that no one would mention it to newcomers, though...

      C Yombi <c_yombi@...> wrote:Here is an interesting side note - the recently "invited" new stage of PC
      volunteers has been "uninvited" and offered new assignments in other
      countries. The reasons being sited were financial and security concerns.

      One potential new Gabon PCV who was reassigned put it this way, "the reason
      that they gave for the Gabon partial shut-down is that they said that many
      of the programs were not up to snuff there and the cost (since Gabon is so
      expensive) to bring them "up to code" was going to be prohibitively
      expensive. It's funny that they didn't mention the programs' troubles and
      problems when they wanted to send me there. Now all of a sudden, they talk
      about all these issues, but before it was "no problem."

      Message 2 of 4 , May 18, 2004
        Possible explanation for the reassignment of new US Peace Corps
        Volunteers to Gabon is that Omar Bongo is playing up to the Chinese.
        President-for-Life Omar Bongo knows he can sell as much oil as he
        wants to China and with much less financial transparency. The plot
        thickens.....

        --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "C Yombi" <c_yombi@h...>
        wrote:
        > Here is an interesting side note - the recently "invited" new stage
        of PC
        > volunteers has been "uninvited" and offered new assignments in
        other
        > countries. The reasons being sited were financial and security
        concerns.

        > One potential new Gabon PCV who was reassigned put it this
        way, "the reason
        > that they gave for the Gabon partial shut-down is that they said
        that many
        > of the programs were not up to snuff there and the cost (since
        Gabon is so
        > expensive) to bring them "up to code" was going to be prohibitively
        > expensive. It's funny that they didn't mention the programs'
        troubles and
        > problems when they wanted to send me there. Now all of a sudden,
        they talk
        > about all these issues, but before it was "no problem."
        >
        > Interesting for a country that some say is doing so well and
        prospering.

      • Roxanne Marie Schuller
        Message 3 of 4 , May 18, 2004
          I was an invitee, to leave June 23rd, I just received my phone call last Friday saying that there 'would be no trianing group' for my group. We are all being reassigned.

          Jeremy Rich <roiadende@...> wrote:
          It would be sad if there were no more PCV's in Gabon. Typical that no one would mention it to newcomers, though...

          C Yombi <c_yombi@...> wrote:Here is an interesting side note - the recently "invited" new stage of PC
          volunteers has been "uninvited" and offered new assignments in other
          countries. The reasons being sited were financial and security concerns.

          One potential new Gabon PCV who was reassigned put it this way, "the reason
          that they gave for the Gabon partial shut-down is that they said that many
          of the programs were not up to snuff there and the cost (since Gabon is so
          expensive) to bring them "up to code" was going to be prohibitively
          expensive. It's funny that they didn't mention the programs' troubles and
          problems when they wanted to send me there. Now all of a sudden, they talk
          about all these issues, but before it was "no problem."

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Those who danced were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
          --Angela Monet