Re: Gabon and mobile phone coverage

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 24, 2004
      The previous story could account for the fact that Maroc Telecom is
      eyeing Gabon as a possible "safe" country for telcom investments.
      Bongo might need to first get rid of the existing contracts with the
      three South African companies.

      Story:

      Maroc Telecom, Morocco's national telecoms operator, with a war chest
      of about $700 million, is looking for investments and acquisitions
      abroad, its president said. Maroc Telecom, in which France's Vivendi
      Universal has a 35 per cent stake, posted a 2003 net profit of 4
      billion dirhams ($447 million), up 8.5 per cent from 2002, Abdeslam
      Ahizoune told a news conference. Revenue rose by 34 per cent to 15.2
      billion dirhams ($1.7 billion). Ahizoune said the company was "sound,
      had no debts and a net cash of 6.18 billion dirhams ($691 million)".

      "This gives us some ideas for investments abroad but we'll be looking
      for safe ones, like Mauritania, not risky ones" Ahizoune said....
      Ahizoune did not want to discuss specific plans but said his company
      was looking around North and West Africa at countries like Algeria,
      Burkina Faso, Gabon, Mali and Senegal.

      http://www.tradearabia.com/routes/sections/News.asp?
      Article=66291&Sn=IT
    • aminabari@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 27, 2004
        I think you might be onto something as the relations between Gabon
        and Morocco are very chummy, but just to set the record straight,
        the three companies that operate in Gabon now are not South
        African. You might have been thinking of the South African crews
        that were doing the installation works.

        There is Libertis that is owned by Gabon Telecom (and who knows who
        owns Gabon Telecom?) - until the impending privatization.

        There is Celtel, that is founded and 20% owned by Mohamed Ibrahim a
        Sudanese Telecom Engineer that used to be Technical Director of BT
        Cellnet in UK, with investors ranging from Citibank to IFC. Its
        head office is in Amsterdam.

        There is Telecel that is owned by Orascom of Egypt. It was bought
        by Orascom in March of 2000 for almost half a billion dollars. It
        was registered in Switzerland before that but I don't have any other
        info on it.

        I would guess if Maroc Telecom wants to come to Gabon it will try
        and buy Libertis on the cheap. That would be tough to do as
        everybody is watching for clean privatization. I also doubt if
        Gabon wants to get rid of the other two players. Not that they
        could even if they wanted to - these are big players and not easily
        bullied. We'll have to wait and see how it all plays out.

        --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "bobutne" <bobutne@y...>

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 27, 2004
          Thanks for the correction. Care to share what are your and your
          wife's jobs in Gabon?

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 30, 2004
            Anyone heard about this?

            http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~20954~2049741,00.html

            The adopted daughter of Bongo was charged with passport fraud by the
            US Feds.