Re: [Gabon Discussion] Dictator in Action

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2004
      The table was set by the French well before Bongo ascended to power.

      In 1960, Jacques Foccart persuaded De Gaulle to break French
      Equatorial Africa into five smaller states and then offer
      them "independence". He recommended the same with French West Africa.

      Foccart reportedly said to De Gaulle, "It will be much easier for
      France to control and dominate smaller African states than to
      maintain the two large states and compete with the Americans and
      others". Foccart's most focused objective was to assure that Gabon
      remained tightly under French control since Gabon was the pearl of
      French Equatorial Africa.
      http://www.ewatravel.com/Gabon/Gabon_Past.htm

      It's interesting now that Omar Bongo is actually achieving
      independence for Gabon/Omar Bongo by playing the French, American and
      Chinese cards. Each of the three powers wants to dominate in Gabon to
      achieve greater supplies of oil with Omar Bongo playing one off the
      others at will.

      Cetainly, Omar Bongo has all the wealth he could ever need. What he
      doesn't have is an excellent legacy as a national leader who has
      raised the quality of the lives of his nation's citizens. My hope is
      that he becomes further enlightened during his remaining years in
      power.

      --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Rich <roiadende@y...>
      wrote:
      > Dupont -
      >
      > From 1968 through the early 1990s, Omar Bongo ran a one-party
      state. Some opponents were shot by firing squads on national
      television. There was no freedom of the press. Meanwhile, Bongo and
      his cronies collected the wealth produced by the very "Western
      materialists" you seem to despise - Hess, Elf Total, lumber and
      mining companies based in Europe and Asia. Bongo has used this money
      to buy off potential opponents. This is a major reason he has been
      able to suppress opposition. So has Bongo's selective use of
      xenophobia to build up a sense of Gabonese nationalism (witness
      campaigns against Beninois, people from Equatorial Guinea, Cameroon,
      Nigeria...)

      > This man can certainly manage finances to profit himself. I grant
      you that. I do not think it is a Western idea to despise bribes and
      the waste of resources that has existed in Bongo's country. What's
      next - was Mobutu misunderstood, too? Was he a great African chief
      or something? Tell that to the Congolese.

      > Again, the idea that Bongo is somehow a victim of Western
      propaganda and naive observers and businessmen seems frankly
      unbelievable. He has chateaux in France. He's the richest man in
      Gabon. Look at the Elf-Total scandal. What is there to
      misunderstand here? Certainly, my experience living in Gabon for
      over a year and only ONCE hearing any support at all for Bongo (the
      late Archbishop Anguile) from the hundreds of Gabonese people I met
      leads me to think that Bongo is not popular - in large part due to
      corruption. Foreign observers and many Gabonese feel he lost the
      1993 election but fixed the results, and the opposition never pulled
      themselves together after that.

      > I don't care much that he is luring Peruvian models or fooling
      around with women. I do care that he has treated the Gabonese
      treasury like his own personal checking account, and that the PDG
      works like the African version of Tammamy Hall and Boss Tweed in New
      York in the late nineteenth century. What constructive criticism can
      anyone offer to a man that has ripped off his country with his
      entourage for over four decades? Help with designing a new
      presidental palace, or giving tips about what new luxury cars he
      should buy?

      > I am sorry to take such a harsh tone, and I sincerely doubt we can
      persuade one another to change our positions. I will therefore stop
      posting. If you want the last word by lauding a dictator, feel free
      to leave it.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 5, 2004
        By Daniel Mboungou Mayengue, BBC, Gabon

        The Omar Bongo Technical High School is lifeless. President Bongo
        ordered the closure of the school which bears his name. It is
        normally vibrant with pupils in classrooms and the yard, but the
        students and teachers are now at home. They will not return until a
        commission set up by the ministry of education to investigate the
        problems plaguing the school submits its report.

        The authorities in Gabon, which oil has made one of Africa's richest
        countries, closed the school a month ago following student unrest.

        Looting spree. Some of its pupils attacked students of neighbouring
        schools and passers-by to avenge the death of a sickly schoolmate. He
        died after a fight with a pupil from the Melen Evangelical Grammar
        school. "I used to come first in English, but when one of the girls
        in my class managed to seduce the teacher, I started to get lower
        grades", said former student Thibault

        In an exaggerated show of solidarity, the pupils moved into the Melen
        Evangelical Grammar and the Professional Computer Science School,
        threw stones at fellow pupils and smashed computers, photocopy
        machines and type writers, and destroyed files. At least 10 people
        were injured including two policemen who were among a team called in
        to quell the violence.

        In Rio, one of Libreville's largest areas, the pupils looted shops
        and smashed passing vehicles including three buses of the national
        transport company, Sogatra, which had been transporting them to and
        from school free of charge. "We wanted to show to the relatives of
        our dead mate that we are hurting like they do," one of the pupils
        who took part in the violence told the BBC. "We are Omar Bongo's
        offspring," said another pupil.

        Concerned about the escalation of violence, Education Minister Daniel
        Ona Ondo held separate meetings with the class prefects and the
        administrative and teaching staff at the school.

        The meetings opened up a can of worms. Classrooms are overcrowded and
        have over-age students. "The Omar Bongo High School is sinking," said
        the minister, after participants informed him that there was
        prostitution in the school.

        The minister was informed that girls had sexual relations with
        teachers to get better grades and that expelled pupils offered bribes
        to remain in the school.

        Professor Ondo also learnt that most classes have more than 100
        pupils each and students over 30 years were enrolled in the school.

        "Anyone can get admission into Omar Bongo Technical High School,"
        said a final year pupil who identified himself as Patrick Otta. "All
        you need is 50,000 CFA francs ($93)," he said.

        "I have never been a bad pupil in English. In fact, I used to come
        first in English, but when one of the girls in my class managed to
        seduce the teacher, I started to get lower grades despite my constant
        efforts," said Thibault, a former pupil.

        The pupils of Omar Bongo Technical High School may feel proud that
        their school bears the president's name.

        However, President Bongo called an urgent meeting of the council of
        ministers which decided to close the school and put in place a
        committee charged with its reorganization.

        A new management team has since been appointed by presidential decree.
        "The man selected as headmaster is young and admired by everybody,
        let's give him a chance to succeed, for his success shall be our
        success and his failure our failure," Professor Ondo said during the
        installation ceremony.

        In response, the 50-year-old new headmaster, Salomon Cabinda,
        said: "My every day concern will be to do everything possible in
        order not to betray your trust."

        But Mr Cabinda's task will not be easy. Looking fresh and handsome in
        a dark-blue suit, he said: "I don't know what my priority will be.
        Perhaps I should start by cleaning up the weeds around the school."

        Meanwhile, some pupils are wondering when their school will
        reopen. "We don't even hear a rumour about the date - I hope it
        reopens soon," said Serge.
      • Jeremy Rich
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 5, 2004
          Did the students riot again, or this coverage from the last round of violence?

          Jeremy

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
          Click Here