Re: Air Gabon

  • aminabari@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2003
      I don't have much more info. What I've heard is that it was a 737
      coming from Franceville and was to continue to Dakar. It landed in
      the rain and near the end of the runway and could not stop. Went
      through the runway barrier and the concrete wall at the end of the
      airport and continued into the bush where it spun 180 degrees and
      stopped facing the direction it came from. I could not see if the
      wings were intact or not for sure, but it looked like it was missing
      both wings. The nose was also damaged. No serious injuries. All
      this info is hearsay from the people at the airport. It was
      apparently reported on the local news, but our TV is not connected
      yet, so I don't know.

      We went to the airport this morning to see a friend off and that's
      how I found out and I happened to have my camera in the car.

      If you want I can upload a couple of pictures from the wall and
      barrier tomorrow. It is late now and I want to go to bed and with my
      slow connection it will take at least half an hour to upload a couple
      pics.

      --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "Carlos Oliveira Reis"

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2003
        Interesting that passengers were told, "Do not speak to the press."
        and that there were conflicting reports about hospitalization.

        Makes me wonder how many of the actual facts are getting out to
        the Gabonese and world community re Gabon.

        Dictators need a surpressed press.