Re: [Gabon Discussion] re: "Bongo on Terrorism"

  • dupont3@juno.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 26, 2003
      I think that I explained why in my first post to this group. Again I will
      say that Bongo is a great leader for Gabon because:
      1. The country has been a stable country with no wars or political strife
      for 40 years since independence. Central Africa has seen much violence
      throughout the years and yet Gabon is stable.This can be attributed to
      the leadership of President Bongo. During the Cold War when East and West
      powers were fighting for influence in the political affairs of many
      African states, Gabon was able to avoid being used has a pawn in the
      political conflict. If you take for example what happened in the Ivory
      Coast after the death of President Houphouet-Boigny(another great
      african leader,) you can get an idea how important it is to have
      stability. I believe that stability is a testament to a great leader and
      Bongo deserves credit for that.
      2. His ability to deal with the former colonial power France while still
      retaining a strong sense of sovereignty and independence. Many African
      countries after independence have not been able to retain ties to the
      former colonial power necessary for a smooth transition to incourage
      foreign investment while preserving the integrity of the currency. During
      Bongo's rule Gabon has been able to take advantage of French
      intellectual resource while the CFA has remained strong.
      3. The environment is healthy, Throughout the years when many
      environmentalist have expressed concern about the shrinking rain forrest.
      Gabon is one of the few countries with relatively untainted natural
      resources.It has been widely reported that much wildlife in Gabon is not
      accustomed to interaction with humans and there are even some unexplored
      regions. Gabon is a bright spot on the map of many who are concerned
      about the ecology of the planet. President Bongo deserves much credit for
      his leadership during a time of the greatest commercial exploitation of
      African resources.
      4.His astute knowledge of geopolitics, especially concerning the African
      continent. President Omar Bongo is considered one of the smartest leaders
      on the planet. His leadership and diplomatic skills have been called on
      to mediate many conflicts among nations in Africa. He is one of the few
      African leaders to consistently speak about the challenges of economic
      development in Africa. I think that because of the French language native
      to Gabon, many of his points of view have gone unnoticed by those in the
      English speaking world. Yet, make no mistake about it, Bongo's leadership
      is a source of pride in Africa. I have been fortunate to stay informed on
      the policy of President Bongo and I have been impressed with his ability
      to digest the intense geopolitical situation while staying focused on the
      needs of the state.

      Ciao,
      dupont

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 27, 2003
        Mr. Dupont has unique criteria for measuring the leadership abilities
        of a head-of-state. Mine are quite different. In my book, a great
        state leader does not steal the wealth of his nation for his own self-
        serving greed/ego but works to increase the well-being of his people.
        My suggested criteria for evaluating President Omar Bongo are
        measured upon his leadership abilities in the following areas that
        affect every life in Gabon:

        1. Quality of health.

        2. Personal freedom including freedom of the press and free
        elections.

        3. National infrastructure.

        4. Public safety.

        5. Standard of living

        6. Quality of the urban and rural environments.

        If you want to debate these six points Mr. Dupont, I'd be glad to
        oblige.
      • dupont3@juno.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 27, 2003
          It seems like you have a very narrow view of a great leader. You seem
          like you know more about what the people of Gabon need than President
          Bongo. You see, I believe that President Bongo knows whats best for the
          Gabonese people. He has a great character and intellect. He is a
          benovoloent character. The Gabonese are a benovolent people.
          I look at Gabon has an American and dont pretend to know what is best
          from a Gabonese perspective.
          I do know that it would be a great idea for the IMF and World Bank to
          give Gabon an aid package that will invest in the infrastructure of the
          country. This would address a lot of your concerns and points. It would
          have to be well thought out so as not to harm the precious environment.
          The money to do these things is available. Rather than waste billions on
          war society like ours should invest in stable countries that are ready
          for development as an alternative to destabilizing war.

          Ciao,
          dupont

          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 27, 2003
            "I do know that it would be a great idea for the IMF and World Bank
            to give Gabon an aid package that will invest in the infrastructure
            of the country."

            Mr. Dupont appears to be a Bongo shill who refuses to address the
            critical issues confronting all Gabonese and to "beg" for more aid
            to benefit his and President Omar Bongo's pockets.

            As you know, Mr. Dupont, President Omar Bongo has expatriated
            hundreds of million dollars of Gabonese funds to his personal bank
            accounts, French real estate, auto dealerships, etc. at the
            expense of all Gabonese.

            So be it. President Omar Bongo has sufficient time to establish a
            very positive legacy that will benefit all Gabonese. May he make the
            right choices....