'Dark Star Safari' by Paul Theroux

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2003
      I was getting hungry for another Theroux travelogue and am pleased
      that he delivered.

      /0618134247/qid=1060050817/sr=2-2/103-5396209-2702214?v=glance&s=books

      Like many of us on this board, Paul was a Peace Corps Volunteer in
      Africa. He was an English teacher in Malawai during the early 60's.

      I agree with Paul that the early 60's was a relatively idyllic period
      throughout most of Africa (other than South Africa, the Congo and a
      few other countries) when most of the African states became
      independent and full of hope for a better (healthier and more
      economically stable) future for all.

      Forty years later, little hope remains and the lives of most Africans
      appear to have worsened. Paul has his theories why this occurred.