French-US Relations in Gabon

  • Bob Utne
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17, 2003
      When I was in the Peace Corps in Gabon, following the unsuccessful
      revolution in March 1964, there was strong antipathy by most of the
      French against the Americans in Gabon. The US Embassy was attacked
      and Americans were blamed for the attempted coup.

      Now, with the growing animosity between many French and Americans
      over the Iraq situation, I wonder how the Peace Corps Volunteers in
      Gabon are being treated by the French.

      On a broader scale, with the growing worldwide anti-Americanism, how
      difficult will it be for the Peace Corps to perform and how much in
      danger will be the PCVs?