Re: Ebola in the news again

  • Bob Utne <bobutne@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 14, 2003
      Ebola death count now over 50.
    • Bob Utne <bobutne@aol.com>
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 14, 2003
        Thanks to Steve Bean, I am re-reading "African Betrayal" by Charles
        and Alice Darlington. Steve was also in the first group of PCVs sent
        to Gabon and graciously sent me a copy of this book. The book is
        about the three plus years that Darlington served as the first US
        Ambassador to Gabon.

        It's been a long time since I first read this book, published in
        1967, and forgot that the reason we PCVs were pushed to the limit to
        finish the construction of our primary schools throughout Gabon,
        ASAP, was that Darlington wanted to impress the Gabonese government
        that their 20% share of the school cost was well spent and that his
        own reputation/ego was on the line.

        We Volunteers, over four decades, worked, usually, six days a week in
        sweltering Equatorial Africa to eventually build approximately
        several hundred primary schools and hundreds more teacher houses and
        thousands of student desks throughout Gabon.

        Re-reading "African Betrayal" brings back a lot of memories and is
        worth a read for every new Foreign Service Officer assigned to the
        developing world and to those interested in Gabon.
      • Bob Utne <bobutne@aol.com>
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 17, 2003
          From Feb 9, 2003 news release:

          President Omar Bongo of Gabon has offered 100 million francs CFA (US
          $153,846) to help the Central African Republic (CAR) government
          prepare for a national dialogue to resolve its political and security
          logjam, Abdel Beolo, the head of communications at the CAR
          presidency, said in a communique issued on Thursday.

          The Economic and Monetary Community of Central African States has
          designated Bongo as mediator in a diplomatic standoff between the CAR
          and Chad over the latter's alleged support for CAR rebels trying to
          unseat President Ange-Felix Patasse. A Gabonese general commands the
          community's 303-man peacekeeping force in the CAR, to which his
          country contributed 146 soldiers, the Republic of Congo (ROC) 126,
          and Equatorial Guinea 31. The force's authorised strength is 350.

          Meanwhile, Radio Centrafrique has announced that the national
          dialogue coordination team, headed by Bishop Paulin Pomodimo and
          former Prime Minister Henri Maidou, flew to Paris on Thursday. "We
          are going to meet CAR people who love their country, we are going to
          invite them to attend the national dialogue," Pomodimo told reporters
          before leaving.

          The team had earlier been to the Gabonese capital, Libreville, to
          meet Bongo, and the ROC capital, Brazzaville to meet President Denis
          Sassou-Nguesso, for consultations.

          The 750-million-franc CFA budget for the national dialogue was fixed
          in February, with one-fifth of cost to be met by the international
          community and friendly countries.
        • Bob Utne <bobutne@aol.com>
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 23, 2003
            I notice that Charles Darlington was the only non-Foreign Service
            Officer who served as the Ambassador to Gabon (1961-1964) and was the
            only US Ambassador asked to exit Gabon by a Gabonese President.

            This could lead one to postulate that it is weak US foreign policy to
            send non-career FSO's to serve as Ambassadors abroad since they are
            ill-prepared to deal with the intricacies of foreign diplomacy

            In my opinion, just the opposite is true. By the time career FSO's
            attain Ambassadorial positions, most have lost touch with their
            American roots and have been thoroughly indoctrinated into serving
            the demands made upon them by Washington's bureaucrats, politicians
            and by big business.

            Charles and Mary Darlington made a special effort to live their lives
            in Gabon as they would in the US in the best spirit of America. They
            opened their home to all, traveled throughout the country and
            volunteered their time and money to meet local needs.

            It was clearly evident in their book, "African Betrayal", that Gabon
            was not only betrayed by its leadership and the French but by the US
            Government, also.

            Charles Darlington, also, was a good friend to all of us Peace Corps
            Volunteers who served in Gabon during the Darlington era. He was a
            man of the highest integrity and both Charles and Mary were
            universally loved by the Gabonese and even most of the French.