GIRESSE: LET`S STAY CALM

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2010
      Gabon coach Alain Giresse wants his players to keep their feet on the ground when they face Tunisia in the African Nations Cup on Sunday.

      The Panthers provided the biggest upset of the first round so far when they beat Cameroon 1-0 in their opening game and, although victory will guarantee them a place in the quarter-final, a draw will also go a long way towards boosting their chances of reaching the knockout stages.

      Giresse, whose side were beaten twice by the Indomitable Lions during recent World Cup qualifiers, refused to count their opening game win as "revenge", saying instead that he was pleased for the players.

      "I am happy we won," he said after the opening Group D encounter. "For me, it is a celebration of the present and the future and I congratulate the boys.

      "We play Tunisia next and it's important to continue the good work. Even if we finish second, we must make sure we qualify for the next round."

      Tunisia head into the game with a major cloud hanging over the fitness of Oussama Darragi, who had to be substituted after an hour against Zambia.

      It was later revealed that the Esperance playmaker suffered from both an ankle sprain and tendinitis in his Achilles tendon, meaning he is unlikely to feature.

      Coach Faouzi Benzarti is nonetheless confident his team cam progress from the group.

      He said: "I believe that we did everything that needed to be done," he said in reference to the 1-1 draw against the Zambians.

      "All the teams in Africa are strong. The differences between the teams are minor and the results so far reflect that.

      "But there is no problem we will progress from here."