Re : [Gabon Discussion] The Incredible Beauty of Gabon

  • Brad Hodges
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2009
      Very well written, but it's as if you were actually addressing Bongo himself, rather than a bunch of old RPCVs who fondly remember wanting to do well for Gabon. Better to post it on:

      http://www.omarbongoondimba.com/

      That is, you could post it there, if there were actually an address to send it to. Regrettably, the only person you can contact there is the webmaster...

      Now THAT's democracy à l'africaine!

      -Brad

      ________________________________
      De : webberstudio <webberstudio@...>
      À : gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com
      Envoyé le : Lundi, 23 Février 2009, 21h09mn 02s
      Objet : [Gabon Discussion] The Incredible Beauty of Gabon

      I just read every word I could find on the impending dam
      construction, looking for the first time at all the photos I could
      find on the gorgeous waterfalls, cataracts, turbulent waters,
      featured in photos offered even by National Geographic. I am totally
      stunned at the concept of yielding this treasure of the planet to any
      mining project, whether Gabonese, Chinese or other. We in America
      must treasure our global fortunes, not as possesions of our own,
      whether they are Alaskan wilds, the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone Park,
      and even our own Niagara Falls. These are treasures, irreplaceable,
      that belong to all citizens of the world. National borders may come
      and go, may even melt away in future times of unforseen civilization,
      but these magical spaces are gifts that must transcend temporary
      means for wealth and exploitation, however great, if we are to retain
      pride in ourselves as a civilized people, a noble planet. Gabon is
      so very special with the second largest rain forest on the planet.
      You have chosen wisely a mere seven years ago to preserve ten percent
      of this beauty for all time. Do not abandon your promise for
      temporary gain; solve the hydro generation differently as possibly
      the French advocated in the 1960s. The cost difference will be
      regained thousands of times over by those who come to your land
      seeking the unique beauty you may show them forever, and you will
      benefit forever in the joy, the pride and the soul of your people and
      the Africa we all love so very much.

      Sincerely,

      Alfred C. Webber, Jr.
      Peace Corps Volunteer