United States of Africa

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2009
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7864604.stm

      Gaddafi's proposal has a great deal of merit. Too bad that the present
      African power brokers call all the shots.
    • François Gouahinga
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2009
        Hello all,
        The trouble with the Guide is that when he says 'unity' he usually means a super-federation headed by himself, period. On a number of occasions he's been more of a divider than a unifier--flirting with the trans-Sahelian Tuareg rebellions, or expelling undocumented sub-Saharans... Seems to me he would be nowhere near claiming to be the caliphs' Caliph if it weren't for the petrodollars. But then again the same can be said about many others, including our very own OBO. Truth is, the few visionaries we ever had are long gone, and now we're stuck with a generation of wannabes. Hopefully Libya will shift the focus of the AU from politics to economic matters at a time when even the most financially secure countries are feeling a lot of pain.

        Anyways, thanks for sharing the link. -Francois