Protesters defend Gabon president in French mansions row

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2008
      http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5j-d6oQNjUatAEIEB91q3uMMdOzTw

      LIBREVILLE (AFP) — Some 2,000 people protested in Libreville on
      Saturday against French non-governmental groups that have denounced
      Gabonese President Omar Bongo Ondimba's acquisition of luxury homes
      in France.

      "Gabonese civil society doesn't want self-proclaimed advocates. We
      don't need them, neither in France nor elsewhere," said Ghislain
      Etoughet, president of a group named Don't Touch My President, which
      includes unions and other associations. In a letter to the presidency
      the group said: "We want to show our strongest condemnation toward
      the biased and wreckless actions taken by these French NGOs and
      associations."

      In July, the French chapter of the Transparency International anti-
      corruption watchdog filed a complaint against five African heads of
      state, including Bongo, whom it accuses of owning French properties
      bought with embezzled money.

      The French newspaper Le Monde and the television network France 2,
      citing French police reports, reported in March that Bongo and his
      family owned 33 properties in France, including a private hotel in
      Paris bought in 2007 for 18.8 million euros. The reports caused
      tensions between the two countries, with Gabon threatening to review
      relations with France.

      Let me get this straight. According to this press release, 2000
      Gabonese protest the fact that their president has been outed as an
      embezzler of a significant amount of their nation's wealth. Only in
      Gabon......
    • Brad Hodges
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2008
        Bob,

        My guess is that this "article" first appeared in L'Union in LBV, and that the protesters were paid
        with casiers de Regab

        -Brad