Re: [Gabon Discussion] Re : China signs $5 billion investment project to extract Gabonese iron ore

  • matthew steil
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2008
      I can say that based on personal experience working with Ivindo National Park and surrounding communities, that Francois's comments are indeed proving to be true on the ground.

      Unless there are major adjustments to how the rest of this project is going to be carried out, activities to date indicate that little benefit will accrue to local populations and that all deals and directives for this massive operation will be strictly top-down. The iconic Kongou Falls on the Ivindo river are set to be the first significant casualty of this endeavor.

      If you are interest in more local info on this, check this website.

      -M

      De : bobutne <bobutne@yahoo. com>
      À : gabondiscussion@ yahoogroups. com
      Envoyé le : Samedi, 31 Mai 2008, 8h45mn 58s

      http://www.mineweb. com/mineweb/ view/mineweb/ en/page674?
      oid=53884&sn= Detail

      Gide Loyrette Nouel has advised China National Machinery & Equipment
      Import & Export Corporation (CMEC) in Gabon in connection with the
      development of the Bélinga iron ore mine, which ore reserves would
      exceed 560 million tons, with 64% iron ore content. Gide Loyrette Nouel
      assisted CMEC in drafting and negotiating a mining convention, which
      was signed between the Republic of Gabon and Compagnie Minière de
      Bélinga (COMIBEL) on May 24, 2008 in Libreville. Shareholders of
      COMIBEL include the Republic of Gabon (25%), CMEC, Panzhihua Iron &
      Steel Group and other individual shareholders. The mining convention
      provides for the construction of major infrastructures in Gabon such as
      a 3 x 50MW hydroelectric plant and 560-km railroad and deep sea harbor
      facilities. Construction and development of the mine should last
      approximately four years and CMEC anticipates investing US$ five
      billion in this project. Output of the mine is expected to reach 20-30
      million tons per year.

      Do You Yahoo!?
      http://mail. yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail

    • matthew steil