Poisson a la Braise

  • Don Bailey
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2008
      OK. Another recipe. This one is really from Diana Sacramento and I
      submitted it to "Aquanews" a publication of the Pond
      Dynamics/Aquaculture CRSP which funds aquaculture research in
      developing countries. Go to page 8 of this document to see it in
      print. http://pdacrsp.oregonstate.edu/pubs/aquanews/Spring00.pdf

      Poisson a la Braise (Grilled Fish)

      2 whole tilapia, cleaned, head on
      1/2 onion, chopped
      2 T tomato paste
      1 lemon
      1 T piment (hot pepper sauce)
      1/2 cup egetable oil
      1 stalk lemon grass, chopped
      salt

      Prepare fish:
      Cut slits diagonally on both sides of the fish. Rub with salt.
      Squeeze lemon over and inside the fish. Place pieces of lemon grass
      in the slits.

      Make sauce:
      combine onion, piment, tomato paste and oil

      Begin cooking:
      Brush the sauce mixture over the fish and place fish on the grill.
      Grill the fish onone side, brushing occasionally with the mixture.
      Turn once to grill other side. Remove from grill when flesh flakes
      with a fork.

      Serve with beer and a baguette.

      We will make this for our Sunday dinner at the Summer Fete 2008 that
      I'm hosting on St. Croix. Anyone interested will also get to tour the
      UVI Aquaculture Facilities where I work and see a more intensive form
      of aquaculture than the pond culture we worked with in Gabon.

      I know of one other Fisheries volunteer who is still involved in
      aquaculture. Anyone else?

      Don