Davy Axel Nze Akoue

    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2008
      http://www.kxii.com/news/headlines/19060274.html

      On a bright sunny day on the Austin College campus, thousands of
      hours of studying and hard work came to an end. As the cliché goes,
      graduation brings about the start of a new life; especially for Davy
      Axel Nze Akoue. The native of the African country of Gabon said good
      bye to a place he says he will never forget.

      "I get an education and an opportunity to better myself, but at the
      same time my friend in America get to know about my culture and we
      get to bridge the gap of stereotypes people have," says Akoue, known
      as "Axel."

      After graduating high school, Axel received a scholarship from his
      native land to study in the United States. After spending a month in
      Chicago, trying to master the English language, he headed where a lot
      students from Gabon go to study and continue their English studies:
      Grayson County College.

      "Grayson was still giving me a chance to work on my English and to
      still take some basic classes so after spending 3 semesters at
      Grayson, I transferred to Austin College."

      The transition from a place he had grown to love, to new
      surroundings, wasn't easy.

      "You belong to where you grow up and you leave friends and family,
      food, everything you have ever known and then you have to go to a new
      place where you don't know anybody and you have to emotionally start
      over."

      His mother, who speaks little English, was just as concerned.

      "I was worried but I was joyful at the same time, worried because he
      was an only child but at the same time happy because I know he was
      going by himself to get a higher education," she says.

      He fought through the challenges, earning a degree in international
      studies and a minor in communication. Axel says he will now use those
      skills at the United Nations. He plans to work with the `Nothing but
      Nets' campaign to help combat malaria in African countries, with the
      help of the NBA.

      It's that opportunity to give back that makes him special, at least
      to his mom.

      "I am not surprised because I always knew he would do great things
      with God's blessing," she says.

      At the graduation ceremony, Axel and his senior classmates presented
      the university with a check for $51,000. The funds will go to a
      scholarship for international students.