RE: [Gabon Discussion] Summer Fete 2008, St. Croix, USVI

  • Darcy Meijer
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11 6:25 AM
      Don, that's a beautiful write-up!

      -----Original Message-----
      From: gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Don Bailey
      Sent: Fri 4/11/2008 8:58 AM
      To: gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Gabon Discussion] Summer Fete 2008, St. Croix, USVI

      April 2008

      Dear Friends:

      I'd like to take another opportunity to invite you to the Friends of
      Gabon Summer Fete 2008 which I will be hosting on St. Croix, U.S.
      Virgin Islands this July 25-29.

      I've been looking for an advertising "hook" to bring you
      down.

      I could have written two weeks ago as a final winter blast covered much
      of the US with snow. But you already know that St. Croix is tropical
      and green year `round. And the party is in the summertime, so
      you're not coming for a winter escape.

      I could have written a month ago when Mike ('83-85), Rebecca and Zoe
      Crane were visiting. I would have told you that I got Mike to
      relax. (it took about 4 hours), and Rebecca got tanned and Zoe
      showed Flat Stanley a number of interesting sites. But you already know
      that St. Croix has rum, beaches and a unique history. And you're
      not wait'n on Crane's endorsement before you make a decision,
      Right?!?

      No, I'm going to invite you to the Fête for the usual reason
      that we get together each year. We all went to Gabon, had an
      extraordinary experience and returned. And, inexplicably, something was
      imprinted in our minds, something changed in our hearts.

      I invite you to this year's Fête to confirm and affirm these
      things.

      On St. Croix, the Corps de Guard will be set under the Flamboyant Tree
      at the Shepherd's Hut, Northside Valley.
      http://northsidevalley.com/ <http://northsidevalley.com/> Here we will
      eat, drink and dance, play warri and dominos. This location will be
      more reminiscent of Gabon than any other fete site. Coconut and mango
      trees line the driveway and la plage is just down the road. Manioc,
      plantains, taro, piement peppers and tilapia are grown by local farmers
      and will be featured on the menu. There is sugar cane and we will
      drink fresh vin de canne à sucre. There will be hours of peaceful
      relaxation, and time to tell tall tales or preach your political agenda.

      Northside Valley consists of 7 houses scattered across a hillside facing
      the sea and the setting sun on the west end of St. Croix. Each house
      (except Little Brittany) has two bedrooms and most have two baths. Each
      also includes a kitchen, living room, screened veranda and open deck.
      Each will house 4 adults plus children.

      On a site visit, as we walked, Mike, Rebecca, Zoe and I, house to house,
      through NorthSide Valley; and as each house reveled its unique character
      and its view, Rebecca asked at each one "It this the one with the
      best view?" No, it was just getting better and better with each
      one.

      Additional Fete and travel information is posted in the "Files" section
      of the Gabon Discussion Yahoo Group

      Please contact me by email or phone if you have questions or comments.
      I look forward to seeing many of you in July.

      Peace

      Don Bailey

    • Darcy Meijer
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 14 7:21 AM
        Hi Don,

        I'm just getting down to plane reservations now.

        I assume I'll be sharing a cabin with people? I'm coming alone this year.
        So ... if I stay from Friday through Mon. night, that'll be, at $60/day, $240. Yes?

        If I like St. Croix enough, I may start a job search then and there.

        Darcy