Tracking Bubu

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2008
      Book Review by Oliver Roberts
      http://www.thetimes.co.za/PrintEdition/Lifestyle/Article.aspx?
      id=699302

      On paper, at least, it's easy to make cynical assumptions about Catja
      Orford. The introduction to her book, Tracking BuBu — in which she
      documents her 15-month stay in Gabon, via a collection of e-mails and
      journal entries — immediately gave me the impression that she is just
      another 20-something girl who's been living off her rich dad for too
      long, and decided, out of privileged tedium, to lurk around in
      savage, central Africa for a bit and portray the experience as some
      heroic adventure.

      The first e-mail, sent to "the girls", reads: "Dear janine, clauds
      and caro: my dad ruthlessly struck me off his payroll today... Just
      like that and I'm only 26 years old!! What does he expect me to do?
      Survive!?... He chose his moment just after I declared bankruptcy, a
      state resulting from a decadent holiday in Kenya, as he puts it."

      Expecting — and perhaps deviously wanting — more of this soggy
      narrative set against a `my- sufferings-in-Africa' backdrop, I read
      on. Then, with laughter that first appeared as if hiding from its own
      naivety, then suddenly becoming enlightened, I began to enjoy it. And
      I didn't care.

      Using a lucky-packet combination of insightful, sharp and ditsy
      prose, and beautifully assisted by energetic illustrations, Orford
      portrays her most intimate experiences with unembarrassed poise,
      reminding the reader of the necessity of simple human fears, self-
      doubt and the childish delight of exploration. You also discover that
      Orford, while it is true that she has never had a permanent job, is
      an inspired conservationist with a master's degree in her field.

      The original purpose of Orford's trip was to team up with a group of
      researchers at the Mikongo Conservation Camp and track the rare,
      western lowland-gorilla, which lurks in the dank, shadowy depths of
      Gabon's Lope National Park. The gorilla was rarely spotted, so it's
      the events in between Orford's excursions into the jungle (where she
      admits she is too clumsy to be a decent tracker), and the camp where
      she lives, that become the focus of the book. "I never, ever thought
      I'd be a writer," Orford tells me when we meet for coffee among the
      Wednesday morning hoards at Rosebank Mall. "But when I got to Gabon,
      all my friends were asking, `What's it like? What's it like?', and it
      inspired me to write. I decided to save the e- mails, not really
      expecting them to end up in a book."

      She hopes that Tracking BuBu — with its playful approach and youthful
      tone — will appeal to a broad audience, especially those who wouldn't
      normally pick up a book on nature . So far, the response has been a
      great surprise; interest in the book has resulted in an appearance on
      morning television and interviews on several radio stations.

      Orford was born in Johannesburg and grew up in Botswana. She has a
      gin-and-tonic ex-pat demeanour, which is no less dampened by a posh
      inflection that makes her words sound as if they tip-toe out of her
      mouth, trying not to break apart as they emerge. Orford turns 30 this
      year, but has eyes that are old in the most endearing way — they
      appear wrung out by years of laughter in harsh sun, and emit the
      distant, restless gaze of a nomad. Her chest and arms are coated in a
      satisfied sunburn.

      "I think my explorative spirit is innate, perhaps even hereditary: I
      have two great aunts who did some significant exploration at the turn
      of the century. I grew up loving animals and space and wanting to be
      different. I think that's part of it, isn't it? If everyone was an
      explorer, I'd probably want an office job."

      In her book, Orford relates several encounters with overbearing
      misogynists, and admits that the fight to remain feminine in such a
      male set up was far harder — and more important — than the fight to
      survive the hazards of jungle life. Orford's assertiveness seems to
      be the result of a life's decision not to be regulated by men, and
      she achieves this without being patronising or losing any of her wild
      femininity.

      For some urban women of Orford's age, doing whatever they feel
      usually involves something as feebly reckless as eating half a
      chocolate cake in one sitting, or daring to go to a restaurant in the
      big, bad CBD. For Orford, the freedom to disregard the mind's well-
      worn habit for logic and self-preservation involves the pursuit of
      far more impressive danger. She worked in Kenya shortly after her
      stay in Gabon and, rather than fly the 500km back to her home in
      Botswana, she decided to walk it with a Masai. It took two and a half
      weeks. Oh, and she wore flip-flops the whole way.

      "There was nothing romantic about it — no sitting around a fire at
      night singing Kumbaya," she says. "We were up every day at sunrise
      and walked until nightfall. One time, we didn't eat for three days."

      It is this thrill — the common, spontaneous rush of travel — that
      both uplifts and frustrates Orford. Mortality means that our own
      discovering will come to an end, while those still remaining — the
      living — continue to find newness without a regard for our absence.
      The ironic curse of wanting to absorb so much out of life is that,
      while you're busy trying to remember all the details, the actual
      moment falls away. "I do everything to the extreme — I have to eat
      everything on my plate, drink every glass of wine, talk to every
      single person and smoke every single cigarette available that night.
      It's all or nothing for me, so I really have to do everything to try
      and fill everything up, but I never will. I've only got another 80
      years."

      Orford's tone in her book is lively and social, but, on meeting her,
      she is surprisingly subdued, nervous even. Perhaps it's the
      environment, and all these people walking by with shopping bags.
      During our conversation, Orford reiterates her love for space,
      letting that single word out with two interrupted feather-touches of
      hisses, as if to show it is her most valued state of being. "Space is
      the most extraordinary thing about Africa. In Gabon, I was the most
      isolated I have ever been in my life, and I started writing because
      of that," she says. "I was able to sit in the afternoons, staring out
      into the far distance or observing the things right in front of me. I
      suddenly saw a whole new career in myself, and felt this new
      confidence. That sounds awfully corny, I know, but it's true."

      When the interview finishes, I get up and shake Orford's hand and we
      go off in different directions. A moment later I turn back to watch
      her walking among the crowds — curious to see how an explorer moves
      through such confined surrounds — but she has already vanished.

      Note: I was in Mikongo Primate Research Center (original name) in
      June 2002 and also viewed several gorillas. The Mikongo camp was
      built by two US Peace Corps Volunteers in the lates 90's.
    • Gary Marsh
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11, 2008
        Bob,
        This sounds like a pretty interesting book.
        Worth reading. Thanks for the suggestion.
        GM

        To: gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.comFrom: bobutne@...: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 19:03:52 +0000Subject: [Gabon Discussion] Tracking Bubu