Re: [Gabon Discussion] Oral Traditional Literature of Gabon

  • Katherine Vaast
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2008
      Don,
      Somewhere in my books I think I have a book in French
      of comptes from Gabon or Central Africa. We just
      bought a house and are moving stuff around, I will
      search for you. There are some excellent small
      publishers in France, you could probably find material
      looking on French websites. Try fnac.com it is like
      Amazon or even yahoo.fr...
      I am definately tempted by the fete. Philippe will
      already be in India, but I've got to hang out in the
      States until September...an island getaway might be
      just the ticket.
      Kate

      --- Don Bailey <donstx@...> wrote:

      > As long as I'm posting tonight I thought I would
      > mention that I'm
      > taking a class at the local University, "African
      > Oral Traditional
      > Literature." I have to write a paper and will
      > certainly write about
      > the Mvet and/or other stories of Gabon.
      >
      > Does anyone remember any stories told in the "corps
      > de guard?" Or can
      > someone relate a personal experience of hearing the
      > Mvet recited? I'd
      > like some information about how the audience
      > interacts with the story
      > teller? Interactive? Passive? How did the telling
      > go? Just any
      > personal experiences would liven up the paper and
      > I'll attribute your
      > contribution in the citations.
      >
      > While researching my paper I've already uncovered
      > some interesting
      > websites. One for Konoville http://konoville.com
      > (??!??!) and one to
      > celebrate the Fang culture http://monefang.com/
      > Visit and enjoy!
      >
      > Don

    • roiadende
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2008
        Hello -

        I have done over 100 interviews in Gabon as part of my research on
        the country's colonial history, and my friend and former PCV John
        Cinnamon is over there now doing research on the madamoiselle spirit
        cults of the 1950s and 1960s. It would be hard for me to generalize,
        but I can pass on John's email and give a few ideas if you contacted
        me individually. There's a few books on the mvet in French, and an
        older 1972 work on Fang songs that include lyrics. James Fernandez,
        Andre Mary, Joseph Tonda, and Julien Bonhomme are anthropologists
        who has done a lot of work on oral research. The lit on Gabonese
        history and culture is far less than it should be, but there's a lot
        you could look at.

        Best, Jeremy

        --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, Katherine Vaast
        <ktvaast@...> wrote:

        > Don,
        > Somewhere in my books I think I have a book in French
        > of comptes from Gabon or Central Africa. We just
        > bought a house and are moving stuff around, I will
        > search for you. There are some excellent small
        > publishers in France, you could probably find material
        > looking on French websites. Try fnac.com it is like
        > Amazon or even yahoo.fr...
        > I am definately tempted by the fete. Philippe will
        > already be in India, but I've got to hang out in the
        > States until September...an island getaway might be
        > just the ticket.
        > Kate
        >
        > --- Don Bailey <donstx@...> wrote:
        >
        > > As long as I'm posting tonight I thought I would
        > > mention that I'm
        > > taking a class at the local University, "African
        > > Oral Traditional
        > > Literature." I have to write a paper and will
        > > certainly write about
        > > the Mvet and/or other stories of Gabon.
        > >
        > > Does anyone remember any stories told in the "corps
        > > de guard?" Or can
        > > someone relate a personal experience of hearing the
        > > Mvet recited? I'd
        > > like some information about how the audience
        > > interacts with the story
        > > teller? Interactive? Passive? How did the telling
        > > go? Just any
        > > personal experiences would liven up the paper and
        > > I'll attribute your
        > > contribution in the citations.
        > >
        > > While researching my paper I've already uncovered
        > > some interesting
        > > websites. One for Konoville http://konoville.com
        > > (??!??!) and one to
        > > celebrate the Fang culture http://monefang.com/
        > > Visit and enjoy!
        > >
        > > Don

      • Brad Hodges
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2008
          Don,

          I have a copy of "Contes gabonais" (en français, bien sûr), a collection of short stories from throughout Gabon. (I was particulary intrigued by the story of the fairy of the chutes de Tsamba-Magotsi in Fougamou.) What's more, I gave a presentation in an African literature class recently that another professor is teaching at the University of Alabama, where I also teach. I could put you in contact with him if you like. Finally, I might also point you to my mother-in-law, who recently published some oral stories in French and Myènè through UNESCO. Her name is Olga Lays Rogombhe. I'm attaching that publication, which includes her story and others.

          Glad to see an anglophone taking on such noble work!

          Bon courage,

          Brad Hodges

          Don Bailey <donstx@...> a écrit : As long as I'm posting tonight I thought I would mention that I'm
          taking a class at the local University, "African Oral Traditional
          Literature." I have to write a paper and will certainly write about
          the Mvet and/or other stories of Gabon.

          Does anyone remember any stories told in the "corps de guard?" Or can
          someone relate a personal experience of hearing the Mvet recited? I'd
          like some information about how the audience interacts with the story
          teller? Interactive? Passive? How did the telling go? Just any
          personal experiences would liven up the paper and I'll attribute your
          contribution in the citations.

          While researching my paper I've already uncovered some interesting
          websites. One for Konoville http://konoville.com (??!??!) and one to
          celebrate the Fang culture http://monefang.com/ Visit and enjoy!

          Don

        • Darcy Meijer
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
            Hello Brad,

            I'd love to print one of those stories in the April newsletter: the fairy of the chutes or one of your mother's oral stories.
            Would that be possible? I've been looking for Gabonese stories for a few years.
            (I didn't receive the attachment.)

            Thanks,
            Darcy Meijer

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
              Darcy et "batu botsi",

              I've uploaded the UNESCO-funded publication to the Yahoo discussion group's files. The book Contes gabonais - as well as many other collections I remember seeing at bookstores in LBV a couple of years ago - should be easy enough to order online. There's only one publishing house that I'm aware of in LBV. (I remember because it printed my wedding invitations). It has published a few historical accounts and dictionaries of local languages. Most of those books are published en France.

              Brad

              Darcy Meijer <darcy.meijer@...> a écrit : Hello Brad,

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 5, 2008
                Thanks for the reply. If you have a favorite conte maybe you can scan
                and email it? The class covers how the story is told so If you ever
                experienced a conte in a corps de guard perhaps you can relate the
                experience. I have some books too and am brushing up on my French to
                read them.

                In my library I have:

                Rite et croyances des peuples du Gabon, A. Raponda-Waalker
                Anthologie de la litterature Gabonaise, Le Ministre de l'education
                nationale, ed.
                Le Mvett (vol 1 & 2) T. Ndong Ndoutoume
                Gabon Today, Mylene Remy.

                Thanks for the ideas.

                Don

                wrote:

                > Don,
                > Somewhere in my books I think I have a book in French
                > of comptes from Gabon or Central Africa. We just
                > bought a house and are moving stuff around, I will
                > search for you. There are some excellent small
                > publishers in France, you could probably find material
                > looking on French websites. Try fnac.com it is like
                > Amazon or even yahoo.fr...
                > I am definately tempted by the fete. Philippe will
                > already be in India, but I've got to hang out in the
                > States until September...an island getaway might be
                > just the ticket.
                > Kate
                >
                > --- Don Bailey <donstx@...> wrote:
                >
                > > As long as I'm posting tonight I thought I would
                > > mention that I'm
                > > taking a class at the local University, "African
                > > Oral Traditional
                > > Literature." I have to write a paper and will
                > > certainly write about
                > > the Mvet and/or other stories of Gabon.
                > >
                > > Does anyone remember any stories told in the "corps
                > > de guard?" Or can
                > > someone relate a personal experience of hearing the
                > > Mvet recited? I'd
                > > like some information about how the audience
                > > interacts with the story
                > > teller? Interactive? Passive? How did the telling
                > > go? Just any
                > > personal experiences would liven up the paper and
                > > I'll attribute your
                > > contribution in the citations.
                > >
                > > While researching my paper I've already uncovered
                > > some interesting
                > > websites. One for Konoville http://konoville.com
                > > (??!??!) and one to
                > > celebrate the Fang culture http://monefang.com/
                > > Visit and enjoy!
                > >
                > > Don

              • Don Bailey
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 5, 2008
                  Thanks for pointing me to these resources. I'll follow up on them as
                  best I can. The Virgin Islands has an oral lit tradition descended
                  from the West African tradition via the slaves. The Big-belly,
                  Big-head, Thin-leg personalities show up frequently.

                  I hope to include some oral story telling at the St. Croix fete this
                  summer, as well as including the African drumming group that we have
                  here. That evening should be rock'n!

                  Don

                  --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, Brad Hodges <niakurondi@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Don,
                  >
                  > I have a copy of "Contes gabonais" (en français, bien sûr), a
                  collection of short stories from throughout Gabon. (I was particulary
                  intrigued by the story of the fairy of the chutes de Tsamba-Magotsi in
                  Fougamou.) What's more, I gave a presentation in an African literature
                  class recently that another professor is teaching at the University of
                  Alabama, where I also teach. I could put you in contact with him if
                  you like. Finally, I might also point you to my mother-in-law, who
                  recently published some oral stories in French and Myènè through
                  UNESCO. Her name is Olga Lays Rogombhe. I'm attaching that
                  publication, which includes her story and others.

                  > Glad to see an anglophone taking on such noble work!
                  >
                  > Bon courage,
                  >
                  > Brad Hodges
                  >
                  > Don Bailey <donstx@...> a écrit : As
                  long as I'm posting tonight I thought I would mention that I'm
                  > taking a class at the local University, "African Oral Traditional
                  > Literature." I have to write a paper and will certainly write about
                  > the Mvet and/or other stories of Gabon.
                  >
                  > Does anyone remember any stories told in the "corps de guard?" Or can
                  > someone relate a personal experience of hearing the Mvet recited? I'd
                  > like some information about how the audience interacts with the story
                  > teller? Interactive? Passive? How did the telling go? Just any
                  > personal experiences would liven up the paper and I'll attribute your
                  > contribution in the citations.
                  >
                  > While researching my paper I've already uncovered some interesting
                  > websites. One for Konoville http://konoville.com (??!??!) and one to
                  > celebrate the Fang culture http://monefang.com/ Visit and enjoy!
                  >
                  > Don

                • Don Bailey
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 5, 2008
                    I'll Google those names and see what I can come up with. If they have
                    scholarly abstracts/articles then they will probably pop up in the
                    searches and my library can request reprints.

                    John Cinnamon was a volunteer when I was there, 80-83. He has made a
                    profession of anthropology and I have continued mine in fish culture.
                    I looked up his email and intended to contact him once I came up with
                    a topic for my paper.

                    I'm thinking about making an Mvet to demonstrate to the class. A
                    question I've already had is "Are the strings tuned to the same tonal
                    scale as a piano?"

                    One nice thing about living in tropical St. Croix is the readily
                    available calabashes. I have a tree in my yard that bears small ones
                    (<4" dia.) and know a lady who collects and sells larger ones. I'll
                    see her at the Agriculture Fair in 2 weekends and get a few nice sized
                    calabashes to tie to the raffia bow.

                    I saw a video on the net of a man playing the Mvet. I don't have the
                    link here to send now. However, besides the tune of the Mvet you can
                    hear the tapping of the Rebab bottle and shaking of the "maracas." I
                    have both in my collection of souvenirs so I can at lease make lots of
                    noise.

                    Thanks for the help.

                    Don