Gabon I training in St. Thomas

    Message 1 of 6 , May 24, 2002
      Message 2 of 6 , May 26, 2002
        On Memorial Day, as we honor all those who have died in service to
        our country, two names especially come to mind within the Gabon
        context- John Morascini and Karen Philips.

        John served in Gabon I and was one of the hardest working (and
        stubborn) people I've ever met. I recall one day when John, I and
        some Gabonese were unloading the refrigerators from the port to
        Ovendo, John got upset that we were just "dallying around" and within
        a short time, in a frenzy, tore all the crates open and got all the
        refrigerators loaded.

        Probably the most infamous early time of Gabon I was the Marshal
        Erdman/John Morascini incident. Marshal Erdman was a rich architect
        who designed our schools and acted like a little tyrant. He would go
        beserk when anyone disobeyed him. One day he slapped John for
        disobeying an order and John turned around and smasked his hand into
        the wall, breaking it. Mutiny ensued and we all demanded to the
        American Ambassador that either Erdman leaves or we would all go
        home. Erdman was never seen again in Gabon.

        John was a great guy who we in Ganon 1 all miss. He died in Viet Nam
        when he stepped on a land mine.

        Karen Philips served in the Peace Corps in Oyem in the late 90's. I
        don't know much about Karen other than she was from the Philadelhia
        area. Karen, while serving her country in Gabon, was murdered in a
        still unsolved crime.

        To both John and Karen, we and the entire US owe a great debt of
        gratitude.