Inge Bongo and her new $25 million Beverly Hills mansion

    Message 1 of 4 , May 7, 2007
      "Inge Bongo, the heiress to a very rich country in Central Africa, is
      in town to purchase a home. [Estate agent] Kurt Rappaport shows her a
      $25-million property in Malibu's exclusive Broad Beach area, but she
      feels the home `lacks grandeur'. [Agency] co-owner Stephen Shapiro
      shows her a stately $25-million Beverly Hills mansion that turns out
      to be just what she's looking for. Will Kurt and Stephen close the
      deal?"

      Will they indeed? And if they do, will a part of the Gabonese
      government's annual budget go towards paying for a new mansion for
      Inge, a daughter-in-law of Omar Bongo, the Gabonese president? This
      is no joke. VH1, the music video channel, is currently airing a
      reality programme called Really Rich Real Estate, which features
      prominent and extremely wealthy people shopping for exclusive new
      homes in the Hollywood area.

      Inge Bongo, married to Ali Ben Bongo, the Gabonese Minister of
      Interior and Defence and President Bongo's son and heir apparent, is
      one of two people featured in the show's opening episode. There she
      is, blonde, buxom and charming, floating from house to house in
      search of the perfect home away from home.

      Much of the emphasis is on the size of the cupboards -- dressing
      areas really -- as Inge has a lot of clothes and even more shoes. At
      one stage she shows us her collection, and her favourites: "Aren't
      these cute," she coos, "they have matchsticks as heels." Another
      preoccupation is the "his" and "hers" bathrooms, although, Inge tells
      us, her husband only really needs a toilet and a newspaper.

      One has to wonder what VH1 was thinking when it introduced Inge Bongo
      as the "heiress to a very rich country in Central Africa". With a
      little research, they could have established that Gabon is not
      actually a monarchy, and Inge therefore not a princess who
      could "inherit" Gabon's wealth.

      VH-1 may have been confused by the fact that the Bongo family seems
      to treat the country like its own personal kingdom. Papa Omar has
      been president for 40 years and is Africa's longest-standing head of
      state, his son holds two important portfolios, his daughter is his
      chief of staff and his son-in-law is the minister of economy and
      finance.

      So, where did Inge get her money? Her husband is a government
      minister, but his official salary could not possibly cover a $25-
      million mansion and Inge's lavish lifestyle. An official at the
      Gabonese embassy in South Africa declined to comment, on the grounds
      that it was a private matter.

      Gabon's ruling family has in the past been accused of looting state
      coffers. In 1999, the United States Senate investigated Bongo for
      transferring $180-million in Gabonese oil revenues to three private
      accounts with Citibank. Other scandals have followed, and Bongo is
      also believed to have used oil money to counter political opposition
      in recent elections.

      Gabon's economic future is also looking increasingly uncertain.
      According to the Banque des Etats de l'Afrique de l'Ouest, oil
      production is due to drop by 27% in the next three years. The
      International Monetary Fund said in March that the main challenge
      Gabon faces is "to prepare the economy for the post-oil era and make
      decisive progress in poverty reduction.

      "History has taught us that oil prices can be very volatile and oil
      production in Gabon is expected to decline over the medium term," the
      IMF warned.Perhaps it's a good thing, then, that Inge already has her
      $25 million mansion in the bag.

      http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?
      articleid=306832&area=/insight/insight__africa/
      Message 2 of 4 , May 7, 2007
        http://www.dailymotion.com/m2005/inge/video/xtdff_inge-bongo-et-sa-
        villa

        About 2/3 way into this video is Inge and her house. Worth a view.

        --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "bobutne" <bobutne@...> wrote:

> [...]
        opposition
        > in recent elections.
        >
        > Gabon's economic future is also looking increasingly uncertain.
        > According to the Banque des Etats de l'Afrique de l'Ouest, oil
        > production is due to drop by 27% in the next three years. The
        > International Monetary Fund said in March that the main challenge
        > Gabon faces is "to prepare the economy for the post-oil era and
        make
        > decisive progress in poverty reduction.
        >
        > "History has taught us that oil prices can be very volatile and oil
        > production in Gabon is expected to decline over the medium term,"
        the
        > IMF warned.Perhaps it's a good thing, then, that Inge already has
        her
        > $25 million mansion in the bag.
        >
        > http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?
        > articleid=306832&area=/insight/insight__africa/

      • Brad Hodges
        Message 3 of 4 , May 7, 2007
          This is preposterous. What we have here is a clip from the series "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" that has nothing to do with anyone in Gabon - overdubbed with the voice of an unknown man speaking French! The location of the source is listed as "Liberia" (?!?) and it was posted by political opponent Mamboundou. The worst part is that I knew the family personally, and Ali Ben's wife has no resemblance to the woman pictured - nor is her name the same.

          Brad

          bobutne <bobutne@...> a écrit : http://www.dailymotion.com/m2005/inge/video/xtdff_inge-bongo-et-sa-

          Message 4 of 4 , May 7, 2007
            Brad, The original aired on VH1. http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?
            articleid=306832&area=/insight/insight__africa/.

            When I was last in Gabon, I was shown a number of the million dollar
            plus mansions paid for by the Bongo family including a $2 million
            mansion for the hairdresser of Bongo's wife. Talk to any Gabonese in
            the know and they will tell you about the many French companies owned
            by the Bongo's including auto dealerships and tons of French real
            estate. Interesting that they are adding Beverly Hills to their
            portfolio. Not a good trickle down system in Gabon. About the same as
            in todays USA.

            --- In gabondiscussion@yahoogroups.com, Brad Hodges <niakurondi@...>