Atangas

  • solarchef
    Message 1 of 6 , May 17, 2002
      Does anyone know where I can find information about atangas(sp)? They
      are those purple oblong fruit that was boiled and dipped in salt and
      great with a ReGab. Look in the photos of the discussion group for a
      picture of them. Thanks for any help you can give me. Cheers, Michael
      Message 2 of 6 , May 20, 2002
        CARE accomplishes much. A $200 donation can supply seeds for
        nutritious crops in sub-Sahara Africa to feed 16,000 people in need.
        $2,230 can provide access to irrigation systems for ten families.

        CARE has a number of excellent "Food for Africa Projects" in Angola,
        Ghana, Madagascar, Mali, Sierra Leone, Sundan, Uganda and Zambia.

        CARE can be reached at 1-800-422-7385 or HTTP://www.care.org

        List of best relief and development organizations according to Worth
        magazine: http://www.worth.com/content_articles/display/articles.cfm?
        id=%298%2F%2A%21GJ%5F%2B%21D%2F%2D%0A&tid=
        Message 3 of 6 , May 22, 2002
          Jenny is my primary Gabon contact. I met Jenny in South Africa about
          five years ago when we worked together to promote camera safaris to
          the South African game parks. Since then, Jenny and her husband Mauro
          have opened a travel agency in Libreville. There is especially one e-
          mail from Jenny that is worth sharing:
          http://ewatravel.com/Gabon/gabon_new_years_story.htm
          Message 4 of 6 , May 23, 2002
            Not cheap to travel to Gabon from the US. Gabon charges $60 for a
            visa and the airfare is about $900 from Paris. Fortunately, Gabon and
            other CFA members devalued the currency a few years ago so hotel
            prices are reasonable. Paying about $60/night at the Intercontinetal
            Okume Palace. 38 years since I was last in Gabon. Should be one
            helluva two-week ride...
            Message 5 of 6 , May 24, 2002
              Message 6 of 6 , May 26, 2002
                On Memorial Day, as we honor all those who have died in service to
                our country, two names especially come to mind within the Gabon
                context- John Morascini and Karen Philips.

                John served in Gabon I and was one of the hardest working (and
                stubborn) people I've ever met. I recall one day when John, I and
                some Gabonese were unloading the refrigerators from the port to
                Ovendo, John got upset that we were just "dallying around" and within
                a short time, in a frenzy, tore all the crates open and got all the
                refrigerators loaded.

                Probably the most infamous early time of Gabon I was the Marshal
                Erdman/John Morascini incident. Marshal Erdman was a rich architect
                who designed our schools and acted like a little tyrant. He would go
                beserk when anyone disobeyed him. One day he slapped John for
                disobeying an order and John turned around and smasked his hand into
                the wall, breaking it. Mutiny ensued and we all demanded to the
                American Ambassador that either Erdman leaves or we would all go
                home. Erdman was never seen again in Gabon.

                John was a great guy who we in Ganon 1 all miss. He died in Viet Nam
                when he stepped on a land mine.

                Karen Philips served in the Peace Corps in Oyem in the late 90's. I
                don't know much about Karen other than she was from the Philadelhia
                area. Karen, while serving her country in Gabon, was murdered in a
                still unsolved crime.

                To both John and Karen, we and the entire US owe a great debt of
                gratitude.