Fortune magazine article: "African Adventure

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 22, 2002
      http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?channel=artcol.jhtml&doc_id=207011

      A good read on the problems faced by countries like Gabon who have
      rentier economies.

      At least in Chad, Exxon hired a former PCV to help spread a little of
      the oil profits to the people.

      Oil revenue, all too often, is like a narcotic to developing nations.
      Those in power get hooked on it and are adverse to spending any oil
      revenue in developing their nation, only in feeding their
      greedy/glutenous fixes. Those not in power see only the prize of the
      oil narcotic and do not make the effort to further develop their
      country.

      Reference book worth a read to all those interested in Gabon: "The
      Rentier State in Africa" by Douglas Yates.
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2002
        Anyone interested in going? I plan to be at Roland Garros the end of
        this month and am thinking about flying from Paris to Libreville in
        early June.