Re: Congo Elections and Gabon

  • gouaf
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 27, 2006
      I heard one theory that says that the force is there in fact to
      provide backup and logistical support for Ivorian rebels, who will be
      launching a major attempt to overthrow President Gbagbo sometime soon.

      In a nutshell:

      1. ONUCI (UN force in Cote d'Ivoire) complains about allegations of
      violence and gross human rights violations by the Gbagbo government;

      2. The UN responds by a resolution condemning the government and
      severely restricting its ability to engage in hostilities;

      3. The Forces Nouvelles (rebels) launch a major attack on Abidjan,
      aided in this by the EU force.

      4. They will seize the palace, as it seems they will be waiting for
      President Gbagbo to travel to New York for the UN summit in September.

      That's what I heard.

      *Francois