Re: Congo Elections and Gabon
- I heard one theory that says that the force is there in fact to
provide backup and logistical support for Ivorian rebels, who will be
launching a major attempt to overthrow President Gbagbo sometime soon.
In a nutshell:
1. ONUCI (UN force in Cote d'Ivoire) complains about allegations of
violence and gross human rights violations by the Gbagbo government;
2. The UN responds by a resolution condemning the government and
severely restricting its ability to engage in hostilities;
3. The Forces Nouvelles (rebels) launch a major attack on Abidjan,
aided in this by the EU force.
4. They will seize the palace, as it seems they will be waiting for
President Gbagbo to travel to New York for the UN summit in September.
That's what I heard.
--- In firstname.lastname@example.org, "bobutne" <bobutne@...> wrote:
> "I've never understood what this force is doing. Are the elections
> taking place in Gabon?" Christophe Mboso, one of Congo's 32
> presidential candidates, said sarcastically during a televised debate
> last week.
> Full article: http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L25562447.htm