39Re: Modern materials made futuro.

  • Bob
    Feb 9, 2013
      Zoning is an issue,In 1973 I had a Cheese Steak in one on township line road in Drexal Hill Pa. This is the same Futuro that sits in the Media camping center about 20 miles down the same road.See Woodies post#9.The township wanted it gone as it was too advent-guard and forced the owner to move it.To knock off the design some 60+ years later would be wrong somehow.Its not a vacation home anymore its Art. There are better computer aided designs today that can fit the build site like a glove.Besides if everyone had one it wouldn't be special anymore.IMHO
      Bob

      --- In futurohouse@yahoogroups.com, SHIRLEY EICHER wrote:

      > I used to work in a fiberglass shop as a sculptor and have long been fascinated by them after seeing one in real life.
      >
      > The chemical structure of resins has changed drastically since they were originally made and if made today they would be more durable.  Once the "Gel Coat" starts to deteriorate they foster bacterial growth as often found on old fiberglass boats too.
      >
      > If someone could get a few of the necessary sections and remold them or find the original molds it would be a fascinating project. Expensive but fun!  Getting a building permit to locate it somewhere might be another project in itself however. I tried this once and was told...um... no...  lol!
      >
      > I have always liked the "Bright Shiney Future" they represented to me.

    • Show all 32 messages in this topic