EVA/DC Radio /Film Interviews and * Power of DC*

  • Dave Goldstein
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hi all,

      I was just interviewed by WTOP Radio News, Washington, DC, about EVs,
      Plug-In Hybrids and the broader outlook for America. Interviewer
      Ari Ashe focused on concerns about rising fuel prices. He had not seen
      our press releases and was not aware of EVA/DC's *Power of DC* electric
      drag racing and rally EVent in Hagerstown, MD this weekend, which of
      course, I mentioned several times and gave out our Web,
      <www.PowerofDC.com>.

      During the interview we talked about the role of *early adopters* in
      helping to bring about change in the automotive market, and the
      growing interest in EVs and Hybrids, evidenced by the number of phone
      calls and Emails that we are receiving.

      We spoke about the importance of reducing our dependency upon foreign
      oil and the likelihood that another storm in the Gulf of Mexico,
      terrorist incident or "other unknown event" might once again -- as in
      the 70's and '80's -- cause gasoline shortages and fuel lines. I
      predicted that gas prices could hit *$4.25* in our area before the end
      of the summer and that "by next year, we could see $5, $6 or even $7
      per gallon, depending upon what might happen . . ."

      I said that Americans want *choice* in the kinds of cars, trucks and
      SUVs that they drive, and when asked what the biggest obstacles are, I
      said, "Getting the automobile companies to actually *produce* these
      cars in Number One. And secondly, we need to get the cost of advanced
      batteries down. But we can only do that by *mass producing* advanced
      electric and hybrid cars, like the Plug-In Hybrid."

      We spoke about the important role of *DOE and the Federal Labs* in
      helping to develop advanced batteries, and the new EV entrepreneurs
      like Tesla and Phoenix Motorcars.

      We talked briefly about Global Warming and environmental concerns,
      and I spoke positively about the role of *other* alternative fuel
      providers, including Ethanol and BioDiesel,saying "We are all allies.
      We are all in this together, and there is no reason why Advanced
      Hybrids cannot also be multi-fuel vehicles which could deliver 500
      miles per gallon or more on the Petroleum content."

      I carefully mentioned "the new market opportunities for dealers and
      auto manufacturers," -- who, of course, are major radio advertisers! --
      predicting that we would see the first PHEVs within three years and
      that EVs would (initially} be a small part of the market.

      When asked to predict the long term outlook, I said that "within the
      next 10-15 years, *80 percent* of all cars, trucks and SUVS are likely
      to be Hybrids or Advanced Plug-In Hybrids."

      At the end of the interview I invited anyone who wants to learn more
      about electric vehicles to come out to the Power of DC this weekend and
      to meet some of the owners, whom, I said, "are very laid-back and easy
      to talk to. They are not nerds or rocket scientists, but early
      adopters who are software engineers, government agency employees,
      educators and automotive enthusiasts." (i.e., -- the kinds of people
      that listen to WTOP Radio!)

      I don't know how much of this taped interview will actually make it
      onto the air, but it should run throughout the weekend, especially on
      Sunday.

      WTOP (CBS affiliate) is the most widely listened-to radio station in
      the Washington Area, heard on 103.5 and 103.9 FM, 820 AM, HD Radio,
      podcasts, and online at <http://www.wtopnews.com/?sid=599366&nid=162>.

      PS -- Separately, EVA/DC's Joseph Lado and I taped segments yesterday
      for a new independent film called "Running on Fumes." We were in good
      company! Among those interviewed were Assistant Secretary of Energy
      Andrew Karsner, James Woolsey and Frank Gaffney from Set America Free
      <www.setamericafree.org> and former DOE official, author and Hydrogen
      debunker, Joseph Romm. Joe Lado will post a separate report.

      Regards,

      Dave Goldstein

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2007
        Thanks for the report. I get the sense that things are moving
        along. It is as though we need a status report, and then some,
        to get a handle on everything that is happening, though in other
        ways, it seems like same-old-same-old.

        Regarding your predictions of what is happening with gasoline
        prices, this is one of the things that makes me feel as though so
        much is happening. How many years and decades of "lull" have we
        had, as US oil prices have lagged the world's and as US
        oil-consumers have not had access to the price signals (higher
        prices) that would have "helped" them make different choices
        about vehicle-purchases, vehicle-use, location-decisions and
        other related decisions?

        Checking the EIA site for the first time in awhile,

        http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/oilproduction.html

        We can see that February was not a year-over-year record for
        crude oil production:

        http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/merquery/mer_data.asp?table=T11.01b

        The global annual average bpd was higher in 2005 than in 2006 for
        crude oil production:

        http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/RecentCrudeOilProductionBarrelsperDay.xls

        2005 2006
        73,653.4 73,387.1

        Broad perspective on top producers and users:

        http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/topworldtables1_2.html

        Monthly Oil "supply" numbers (these include more than crude oil..
        Natural gas liquids, etc. This gets complicated, but somewhat
        important. There is some shift away from crude, but toward some
        of these other things:

        http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/ipsr/t14.xls

        quarterly average daily oil supply numbers. We can see that 2006
        was slightly below 2005.

        http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/ipsr/t22.xls

        The number for 2006, the average, was 84.51 (mbpd). For 2005 it
        was 84.56.

        Now, as I said, these things get complicated, and I am not
        looking to solve them all here, or declare that peak oil has been
        reached or some such. I am prompted to return to this topic not
        by a search for a quick answer, but to keep an eye on it, and by
        the interesting question of getting a handle on the various
        factors that influence where gasoline prices might be going.

        [Default] On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 19:01:19 GMT, "Dave Goldstein"