Musings on Hydrogen economy and real estate considerations

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2003
      I've seen setups where industrious homeowners had installed solar energy not
      only to power their homes, in part or in whole, but to power their EVs. To this
      I want to add that, if a Hydrogen EConomy, or something like it, does emerge,
      then I wonder as to property considerations. To make Hydrogen at home, one
      might wish to have a source of water (as feedstock for electrolysis). This does
      not necessarily mean that H2 will have to be made at home, but there is no rule
      against it. In the idea, a homeowner with some resources (land, sunshine, a
      stream, etc.) could make for personal use, and sell to others.... Hydrogen,
      electricity, whatever. Just as a farmer can now sell not only food but ethanol
      and biodiesel, etc.

      There are, I think, some interesting musings to be made as to the long-term
      effects of major technological change on real estate values. For example, we've
      had the development of some very very hot areas. To be sure, folks lived there
      previously, but now we have air conditioning and some superior ability to send
      water to those areas, so we have a change in development, in land value, in
      living ability, etc. Some of these changes might have been different had it not
      been for developments such as air conditioning and refrigeration.

      There have been subtle changes and shifts in cities and their surroundings.
      Different Urban plans (or lack thereof) have gone in different directions.
      Without the invention of the internal combustion engine, most present day city
      structures would be dramatically different, I think.

      So, I think if we do have a shift to a Hydrogen Economy, or something like it,
      there could again be subtle effects on what one looks for in land, in a house,
      etc.

      Another shift could perhaps be in the shift to cell phones. As simple as it
      seems, I wonder as to the effect of decision-making in maintaining a home or
      business or what-have-you, now that we might have number portability.