BEV vs ICE recyclablity?

  • Eric Penne
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12, 2003
      How recyclable is a BEV vs an ICE vehicle over it's lifetime? I know this
      is another one of the "which costs less per mile" types of questions.
      There are so many factors that go into the equation. How you drive, how
      far you drive, type of battery, etc are all important in the question.
      I'm noticing the trend toward more recyclable vehicles with plastic body
      panels and similar things. These things help both ICEs and BEVs though.
      I suppose you'd have to consider the energy source also since oil, coal,
      and natural gas aren't a renewable source. ICEs have to change the oil
      every 3000 miles but how much of that is recycled? Battery packs need
      replacing occasionally and how much of that is recycled? Does a BEV use
      tires faster than an ICE? An occasional radiator flush for ICE? Worn out
      mechanical parts for the ICE, how much of the core of the original part is
      reused? Brake pads and rotors probably wear out faster in a non-regen BEV
      than an ICE, is it significant?

      Just thinking.
      Eric
    • daymill1
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 13, 2003
        I'm not sure of the answer to the question exactly, however, I think
        a step in
        the right direction is the Ford Model U, designed by William
        McDonough. It
        goes beyond being "recycleable" to being "sustainable". The "cradle
        cradle" concept of not just using something once.. or a few times
        with
        traditional recycling.. and then sending it to the landfill, but
        designing a
        system to be re-manufactured into the same component over and over...
        thus
        truly closing the loop. No waste. No emissions. Now if we can only
        convince
        Ford to build the thing...