Re: URL of Wavecrest ebike test ride

  • Johann Joseph
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2003
      Well because of Forbes post, I just picked up a Charger LX model
      today from electroportal. Sam, the owner, is a great guy and we
      talked and test rode bikes for 3 hours.

      I put the bike together in a casual 2.5 hours. It would have been 2
      hours if I stopped to read the directions for the front brakes which
      took me the longest to adjust. But that's just the way I am. :?)

      I didn't get much chance to ride around yet, just around the block.
      It's a true pedal assist bike because you have to pedal it for the
      motor to kick in. It'll give me exercise but I can get to work
      faster too. In fact, I can use it more for short errands and such
      instead of getting in my car now.

      The Shimano Nexus gear and break system is something that I've never
      seen before. Really intriguing how it works and I'm going to try to
      learn about it more. It's cool that you can be at a stop and change
      gears without pedaling.

      The electric assist is great. I found an EV grin on my face zipping
      along at a decent speed with just a bit of power from my legs. The
      battery management and charger are integrated into the removable
      battery pack. Well thought out. The battery management prevents
      the user from discharging the battery to dangerously low levels that
      would damage the pack. The speed sensor stops motor assist if you
      go over 20mph. Legal thing. I don't understand why we limit
      electric bicycles speed but cars can go 140+ mph (well my car can :)

      I think I could use some higher gears so that I can go faster. But
      we'll see after several more runs. I think the gearing for the
      pedals was decided on so that it could not go much faster than
      20mph. I'm in good shape and had to pedal pretty quickly to get the
      motor to kick out. It's difficult to go faster than 20mph because
      when the motor kicks out you loose lots of power from the motor and
      you feel the bog in your legs which makes you slow down. And then
      you are in a cycle of boost, no boost, boost no boost. And I decide
      to settle my peddaling down just below the cut off point even though
      I want to go a bit faster...maybe 25mph or so.

      I'm going to adjust the speed sensor to trick it that I'm going
      slower than it thinks like this guy did on his charger bike.
      http://www.chargerbike.com/tech.html
      He's now able to go 22-28mph which should be satisfactory to me.
      Technically illegal...but so are the people that are breaking the
      automotive speed limit every day and the modified gas powered
      scooters that zip along at close to 30mph making noise like an angry
      bumblebee.

      And the price couldn't be more competitive. Other e-bikes I was
      looking at such as the motobob or the slipstream would have cost
      about the same except that I would have had to provide the bike
      which would have been a couple hundred dollars alone. An amazing,
      amazing deal.

      --- In evworld@yahoogroups.com, "Forbes Bagatelle-Black"