Re: [future-fuels-and-vehicles] Taken For A Ride (The 1996 Documentary About the Killing Of Parts Of Our Public Transportation System)

    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 4 3:45 PM
      Was it a PBS documentary? I bought this PBS-connected movie last year via
      amazon.com and it didn't cost that much:

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007CIHL0/qid=1152052971/sr=8-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-5654228-4975921?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

      Whether it is PBS or someone else, if they do want to make money off it, I
      suggest they lower the price and make it actually available to buy for the
      little guy.

      This elitist approach to film sales is seemingly justified sometimes by
      this "we have to make money" argument, but I haven't seen evidence that it
      is the way to go either to maximize revenues or to maximize interest and
      distribution.

    • beard6801@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 4 4:01 PM
        Actually, an independent film.this press release was also on the PBS site...

        http://www.pbs.org/pov/pov1996/takenforaride/takenforaride_press.pdf

        http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=185840

        but it is a PBS Documentary if you believe the NY Times....

        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 4 4:57 PM
          Some more GM Slime

          http://multinationalmonitor.org/hyper/issues/1992/03/mm0392_03.html

          http://multinationalmonitor.org/mm1998/98dec/corporate.html

          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 5 7:37 AM
            That place that discused "rental" and educational use cancelled my order
            and told me that they do not sell for home use. They gave me a phone
            number to the office of the co-director if I want to order it for home use.
            That number is:

            937-767-9357

            The message says it is Jim Klein (listed as co-director on this site):

            http://www.newday.com/filmmakers/Jim_Klein.html

            So, I guess I'll see if I can reach him, and if so, whether he would like
            to sell any videos. I will report back to the rest of us as to whether he
            does, and if so, what the price is.

            It shouldn't be this hard, but ok, maybe from here it will go smoothly.

            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 5 8:41 AM
              No it should not be that hard and a rental should not cost any where near $55 no matter how obscure or PBS oriented. This is after all the digital age. If there is no interest in the film it should die of its own weight. If there is interest, there's a profit to be made.

              Thanks for all your work looking into the subject. Looking forward to what you find out because so far it smells fishy.

              murdoch <murdoch@...> wrote:
              That place that discused "rental" and educational use cancelled my order
              and told me that they do not sell for home use. They gave me a phone
              number to the office of the co-director if I want to order it for home use.
              That number is:

              937-767-9357

              The message says it is Jim Klein (listed as co-director on this site):

              http://www.newday.com/filmmakers/Jim_Klein.html

              So, I guess I'll see if I can reach him, and if so, whether he would like
              to sell any videos. I will report back to the rest of us as to whether he
              does, and if so, what the price is.

              It shouldn't be this hard, but ok, maybe from here it will go smoothly.

              On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 11:12:52 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

              >Odd?
              >
              >Thanks
              >
              >murdoch <murdoch@...> wrote:
              > I'm not sure, but it looks to me like they're getting in the way of
              > normal everyday sales to people who want to see the film. Maybe what
              > they're saying is that in order to buy and view the film you have to
              > pretend to be a store that will rent it out.

              >Stan Ovshinsky, father of the NiMH battery: (circa 2005?, Quoted in the Orange County Weekly)
              >
              >"The people who are saying that [electric vehicle] battery technology
              >isn't ready are absolutely wrong," he says. "It's part of the party
              >line. It's self-perpetuating. It's very sad. You tell a lie big enough
              >and long enough and people start to believe it. The fact of the matter
              >is volume. That's the only reason batteries are the cost they are."

            • Jack Coats
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 6 6:24 AM
                A few years ago (<5) I remember seeing this on the Houston TX PBS station.
                Quite interesting. At one time even in Houston and Galveston TX there
                were real electric trolley cars and an interurban rail road between
                Galveston and Houston.
                Even my dad told me the story of GM and their henchmen going all over
                to anywhere that had a trolley car system, and lobbying (and paying
                off officials) to have the system declared obsolete and have the rail
                lines pulled up or paved over to make 'smooth roads' for their modern
                cars.

                It was a shame to see the abandon tracks that ran down the I10 being
                taken up and widening I10 from 8 lanes plus an HOV lane to something
                like 20 lanes plus 2 HOV lanes and no rail. The widening is happening
                now, but the rails and rail bed (yes, they picked up even the rock
                they put down for the rail bed) was pulled up over the last 3 or 4
                years, if my memory is right.

                I never got a confirmation, but I heard that in Florida and California
                especially the electric and gas companies offered to 'haul off' the
                copper patio covers that were solar hot water heaters especially used
                for heating swimming pools. This was really a ploy to get folks to
                use more of their utility's product and get rid of the 'old eyesore'
                that just worked very inexpensively for thousands of people.

                Oh well, old efficient was often are pushed aside for the sake of
                modern efficiency.

                --
                Fax 1-630-214-5954 - Voicemail/S 775-898-8064

                http://www.drbackup.net?pid=coats by Dr.Backup safeguards your valuable
                documents with an automatic nightly backup over the Internet. FREE trial

                Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

                -- Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - ), "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's
                third law)
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 6 4:27 PM
                  I think your information gathering and posting is valuable. I think those
                  who would deny that this crime took place, such as the folks who cast such
                  derision toward the movie and the various theorists who have tried to look
                  into this, will succeed in their denials, and history will not record the
                  crime, unless people like yourself and many others write down and report
                  what they know and what they heard.

                  I have thus far been unable to place an order for the film. I will keep
                  trying and report back to the group. It has become a bit of a project for
                  me. It is not that critical as to whether I personally see it, but it is
                  more important I think to verify (first-hand) the degree to which the
                  documentary is actually available to those who wish to see it and judge it
                  for themselves.

                • Fr. (Charles) Francis Schmidt
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 6 5:17 PM
                    Hey Murdoch,
                    If you need the name of an "educational institution,"
                    use my Church:
                    Father Francis Schmidt
                    St. Francis of Assisi Missionary Parish.
                    Or go talk to a local Minister, Priest, rabbi, etc and
                    see if they could order it under their
                    Church/educational name.
                    Just a suggestion.
                    Francis+

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 6 6:22 PM
                      Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. Maybe the holdup is that they just haven't
                      had much interest over the years (considering the obstacles to sales,
                      compared to the normal route of amazon or netflix or blockbuster, I can't
                      imagine why), so the director is not accustomed to fielding a call for a
                      sale more than once in a blue moon.

                      We'll see.

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 7 8:10 AM
                        In case you need it, here is the information I recieved about
                        obtaining a copy:
                        QUOTE...
                        I am the director of TAKEN FOR A RIDE and can sell you a home video
                        copy. We have VHS, no DVD yet.

                        Simply send a check for $45 made out to:

                        Community Media Productions
                        314 Dayton Street #207
                        Yellow Springs, OH 45387

                        and we'll mail you a cassette.

                        Let me know if you need anything else.

                        Regards,

                        Jim Klein
                        ... END QUOTE

                        I hope this helps.
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 7 11:46 AM
                          Thanks, this is certainly most helpful. I have left two or three
                          messages on his machine, as directed by the film company, but if he
                          doesn't return my call, I guess I will just do as directed in this
                          email you received from him.

                          It would be MUCH better if we just had a link to an ordering form, and
                          perhaps a more reasonable price, and also if it were available for
                          rental on NETFLIX.COM, and then I think we would be off and running as
                          to referring more and more people to this film, and getting more and
                          more revenues for those interested to profit from it, but they don't
                          seem to have set up a convenient purchasing mechanism for
                          non-Institutional buyers.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 12 12:20 PM
                            Jim Klein called me to respond as to this matter, and his instructions
                            jibed with the ones Jack Coats posted last week, which (as quoted
                            below) is

                            >Simply send a check for $45 made out to:
                            >
                            >Community Media Productions
                            >314 Dayton Street #207
                            >Yellow Springs, OH 45387

                            I spoke with Jim as to a variety of matters, including bringing him up
                            to speed as to GM's role in the latest murder-mystery, and so on. He
                            seemed enthusiastic to learn of these developments and I gave him
                            feedback that we appreciated his having done a documentation of GM's
                            role in the killing-off of some public transport.

                            I communicated that if he sees a pick-up in interest, he may wish to
                            consider streamlining the purchasing process, in light of the tie-ins
                            with WKTEC, and that also some folks have already expressed interest
                            in seeing some side-by-side screenings.

                            Anyway, it was really good to speak with him.... just a matter of
                            persisting and getting through, as he had been away from his messages,
                            traveling.

                            So, I will do the snail-mail thing today, and get him the money, but
                            I'm hoping, for the sake of the wider dissemination of his ideas, that
                            we are all able to prevail upon him to look into a somewhat easier
                            distribution method for home use. He did get across that if we look
                            at the independent film-maker situation, that some of them were set up
                            to try to serve the educational market and such, and so while there is
                            some debate as to how best to meet changing film market trends, there
                            is some reason that things are presently set up the way they are.