'Who Killed The Electric Car?' Not Scheduled For Most of Ohio, other populated auto worker country areas?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
      As expounded upon yesterday by one internet poster, the good people of
      most of Ohio and Western Pennsylvania do not, as of this writing, have
      a viewing scheduled for them to see "Who Killed The Electrric Car?" I
      think we activists can take some simple action to help shift this. I
      see one scheduling for Cincinnati, for all of the State of Ohio, the
      7th most populous state. I wonder who arrived at that decision, and
      how?

      First, let us get rid of the notion that some (the distributor?) seem
      to have, that distribution should be scheduled outside of areas where
      there are auto workers directly affected by events in this film.

      Auto workers, along with many other Americans, will have a desire to
      be better informed as to events that continue to affect their lives.
      In any event, many of us citizens of the USA and of the planet have a
      wide variety of reasons to see this film, and there is no reason to so
      thoroughly exclude vast populated areas.

      Second, we can follow the method suggested to us months ago, which is
      simply that folks in the areas in question go to their local "art"
      movie house and request the movie. There is evidence that if even
      just one person does this that it can result in a scheduling of the
      film to play in that area. Perhaps the movie houses don't even know
      of it. And of course, it needn't be an "artsy" house.... it can be
      any theater. I think we just suggest starting with the art houses
      because Documentaries in the past have been a bit of a niche product?
      From the reviews we're seeing, though, it is being pointed out that
      hard-hitting issues-oriented documentaries are making a place for
      themselves over the last few years, in mainstream American
      film-watching.

      Third, in this case, I think it's best if the requests to see the
      films comes from people in those areas, not from general gadflys, such
      as myself. I am near Tucson and did follow up a couple of months ago,
      as directed. In that case a good local theater was quite interested,
      but they mentioned that others might be in line before them, so that's
      ultimately how it worked out, and I will have to wait until August 4
      to see the film at the Tucson place that got it (unless I want to fly
      or drive a long distance to see it, which seems a bit much).

      Also, I noticed that at first the movie was not scheduled for Albany,
      NY (my home town), but upon asking around discovered that it was under
      negotiation for that area, and is now scheduled there.

      So, many of us can make a small contributions to the project of
      helping define good viewing venues, if we keep at it.
    • Larry Paul
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
        Any chance for Orlando Florida-or did I miss it on the list...???

        Best regards,

        Larry

        On 6/30/06 10:32 AM, "murdoch" <murdoch@...> wrote:

        > As expounded upon yesterday by one internet poster, the good people of
        > most of Ohio and Western Pennsylvania do not, as of this writing, have
        > a viewing scheduled for them to see "Who Killed The Electrric Car?" I
        > think we activists can take some simple action to help shift this. I
        > see one scheduling for Cincinnati, for all of the State of Ohio, the
        > 7th most populous state. I wonder who arrived at that decision, and
        > how?
        >
        > First, let us get rid of the notion that some (the distributor?) seem
        > to have, that distribution should be scheduled outside of areas where
        > there are auto workers directly affected by events in this film.
        >
        > Auto workers, along with many other Americans, will have a desire to
        > be better informed as to events that continue to affect their lives.
        > In any event, many of us citizens of the USA and of the planet have a
        > wide variety of reasons to see this film, and there is no reason to so
        > thoroughly exclude vast populated areas.
        >
        > Second, we can follow the method suggested to us months ago, which is
        > simply that folks in the areas in question go to their local "art"
        > movie house and request the movie. There is evidence that if even
        > just one person does this that it can result in a scheduling of the
        > film to play in that area. Perhaps the movie houses don't even know
        > of it. And of course, it needn't be an "artsy" house.... it can be
        > any theater. I think we just suggest starting with the art houses
        > because Documentaries in the past have been a bit of a niche product?
        > From the reviews we're seeing, though, it is being pointed out that
        > hard-hitting issues-oriented documentaries are making a place for
        > themselves over the last few years, in mainstream American
        > film-watching.
        >
        > Third, in this case, I think it's best if the requests to see the
        > films comes from people in those areas, not from general gadflys, such
        > as myself. I am near Tucson and did follow up a couple of months ago,
        > as directed. In that case a good local theater was quite interested,
        > but they mentioned that others might be in line before them, so that's
        > ultimately how it worked out, and I will have to wait until August 4
        > to see the film at the Tucson place that got it (unless I want to fly
        > or drive a long distance to see it, which seems a bit much).
        >
        > Also, I noticed that at first the movie was not scheduled for Albany,
        > NY (my home town), but upon asking around discovered that it was under
        > negotiation for that area, and is now scheduled there.
        >
        > So, many of us can make a small contributions to the project of
        > helping define good viewing venues, if we keep at it.

      • Gil Dawson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
          Larry--

          I don't know Florida geography, but here's the list I have for Florida:

          SHADOWOOD SQUARE 16 BOCA RATON FL 7/28/2006
          BONITA SPRINGS 12 BONITA SPRINGS FL 8/11/2006
          DELRAY 18 CINEMA DELRAY BEACH FL 8/18/2006
          BELL TOWER 20 FT MYERS FL 8/11/2006
          GAINESVILLE 14 GAINESVILLE FL 8/18/2006
          AMC REGENCY SQUARE 24 JACKSONVILLE FL 8/18/2006
          BEACH BLVD CINEMA 12 JACKSONVILLE FL 8/18/2006
          JUPITER MALL 18 JUPITER FL 8/18/2006
          SOUTH BEACH 18 MIAMI BEACH FL 7/28/2006
          MIRACLE FIVE TALLAHASSEE FL 8/11/2006
          AMC INDIAN RIVER 24 VERO BEACH FL 8/18/2006
          WINTER PARK VILLAGE 20 WINTER PARK FL 8/11/2006

          None of these are within 100 miles of Orlando, are they?

          Hmm. There isn't, by chance, a GM plant in Orlando, perhaps?

          At the very worst, I expect to see the DVD in November.

          --Gil

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2006
            Gil,

            Thank you. I don¹t know Florida very well either, but I have some former
            colleagues that I have been talking to about electric cars for years, and
            for the past several months about this movie in Orlando. This is the list
            that I have seen and I don¹t think that any of these are very close to
            Orlando. A big market that is being left out...

            Thank you,

            Larry

            On 6/30/06 8:59 PM, "Gil Dawson" <Gil@...> wrote:

            > Larry--
            >
            > I don't know Florida geography, but here's the list I have for Florida:
            >
            > SHADOWOOD SQUARE 16 BOCA RATON FL 7/28/2006
            > BONITA SPRINGS 12 BONITA SPRINGS FL 8/11/2006
            > DELRAY 18 CINEMA DELRAY BEACH FL 8/18/2006
            > BELL TOWER 20 FT MYERS FL 8/11/2006
            > GAINESVILLE 14 GAINESVILLE FL 8/18/2006
            > AMC REGENCY SQUARE 24 JACKSONVILLE FL 8/18/2006
            > BEACH BLVD CINEMA 12 JACKSONVILLE FL 8/18/2006
            > JUPITER MALL 18 JUPITER FL 8/18/2006
            > SOUTH BEACH 18 MIAMI BEACH FL 7/28/2006
            > MIRACLE FIVE TALLAHASSEE FL 8/11/2006
            > AMC INDIAN RIVER 24 VERO BEACH FL 8/18/2006
            > WINTER PARK VILLAGE 20 WINTER PARK FL 8/11/2006
            >
            > None of these are within 100 miles of Orlando, are they?
            >
            > Hmm. There isn't, by chance, a GM plant in Orlando, perhaps?
            >
            > At the very worst, I expect to see the DVD in November.
            >
            > --Gil
            >
            > At 5:05 PM -0700 6/30/06, Larry Paul wrote:
            >> >Any chance for Orlando Florida-or did I miss it on the list...???
            >> >
            >> >Best regards,
            >> >
            >> >Larry

            >> >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Dave Goldstein
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2006
              Larry,

              Winter Park (on the list below) is located in the central
              part of Orlando. And there is nothing to prevent EV
              enthusiasts in the Orlando area from contacting additional
              theater managers, especially where independent films are
              shown, and requesting this film. That approach has worked
              very well in a number of metropolitan areas, including our
              own, here in the Washington, D.C. area, where four theaters
              will be showing WKTEC beginning July 21st.

              PS -- I would not waste your time posting this information
              to the poorly-named "electric vehicles for sale" list, where
              censorship runs rampant.

              Regards,

              Dave Goldstein
              President, EVA/DC

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 2, 2006
                > PS -- I would not waste your time posting this information
                >to the poorly-named "electric vehicles for sale" list, where
                >censorship runs rampant.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Dave Goldstein
                > President, EVA/DC

                I'm sorry that you don't like Doug's list, or being kicked off of it,
                but I (and I suspect a few others) think he does a
                better-than-average-job, particularly in light of the various problems
                inherent to such a task.

                Here is his (very good, in my view) group:

                I suppose that discussing pros and cons of various lists is in itself
                an interesting topic for discussion.

                Lists can be run as a labor of love and as a business (not often
                enough yet, I think) but basically they are also run as services to
                the community and there are plenty of choices out there, if you don't
                like one.

                Other lists that seem of value to some here:

                (the RAV4 list grew out of a yahoo list)

                Note how this one is not intended for certain things:

                http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html#charter

                I think that some who feel very strongly that they cannot find a place
                to discuss and do as they would prefer might want to start their own
                lists. Certain principles should be kept in mind along the lines of
                "be careful of the group you start lest it become a burden or a
                problem". There are plenty of groups out there, but the reality is
                that many of us have a paradox because on the one hand we may not find
                quite the right group, but on the other hand we may have a healthy
                aversion or respect for the difficulties of moderating.