Re: Amtrak

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2003
      It sounds like a fantastic trip. I've done some shorter ones like
      that, say from Kansas City to Chicago, or Chicago to Washington DC.
      Never regretted it. I agree that the food left something to be
      desired, but on the whole I have really enjoyed the few liesurely
      trips I've taken. This makes it all the more a pity that Americans
      don't seem to have access to the type of ticket that you seem to have
      bought. Given that lengthy summer car trips are so common here as to
      drive up the price of gas, I wonder if we couldn't take a few of them
      by train, strengthening Amtrak's position, lessening the dependence on
      gasoline (a little, though diesel is required for the trains) and
      letting folks relax and see the country vs. driving.

      One thing that comes up once in awhile is the annual toll at train
      crossings, and although it's a known issue, it does never seem to get
      solved fully. What always bothers me when I run across one personally
      is that they don't seem designed to perfectly prevent accidents. I
      run across several urban crossings and almost all of them seem to
      allow for a driver to accidentally be left stopped somewhere in or
      near the middle of the crossing. Then I have to read these lectures
      from train industry people about how drivers aren't paying sufficient
      attention to the dangers of train crossings. But while doubtless many
      drivers are not sufficiently respecting the dangers (choosing to go
      around barriers, etc.) I also think they need some better design, to
      prevent well-intended drivers from accidentally finding themselves in
      a bad situation.

      > I didn't. Flew into LAX, caught the train in San Francisco to
      >Denver, Denver to El Paso, El Paso to New Orleans, New Orleans to
      >Chicago, Chicago to Los Angeles, flew back to Australia, all in one
      >week. Great way to see the country although the seats and food
      >leave a bit to be desired ;)
      >
      > Andrew

    • Yoder, Chris
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2003
        Last Fall we were in Europe. Flew to Amsterdam, got a rental car, then
        took "the train" to Provence, got another rental car, train back to Paris,
        didn't want to attempt driving in Paris, then flew back.

        Our experience on the train was generally wonderful. :-) I don't
        remember seeing any train tracks and roadways cross at the same level. The
        grades were always split. Views of the countryside were very nice.

        I've taken Amtrak up the coast (Union Station in LA to San Jose) and
        back. Once. I'm not certain I want to repeat the experience. This trip
        was the length of the Paris / Provence trip, but took *LONGER* than the
        entire Amsterdam -> Provence trip. Oh sure, once you get to the coast the
        view is nice, but if I want to look at the coast I'll go stay there.

        European trip:

        At Shipol airport (Amsterdam), the train station is *UNDER* the main
        terminal. So we just returned the rental car to the airport and were right
        there at the train station. We managed to miss the fast Thalys that we
        wanted to catch (unanticipated morning drive traffic), so instead we took a
        standard inter-city train to Brussels.

        In general even that was moving faster than the traffic on the roadways
        we paralleled. (My guess was that it was doing up to 150 kmh / 95 mph.)
        Only took a couple of hours. Since I hadn't boarded a fast train yet, I was
        impressed and thought it was pretty quick.

        In Brussels we managed to get our reservations straightened out, only
        had to wait an hour to pick up a Thalys to Paris (the Dutch equivalent of
        the TGV). OMG!!!! That train was *FAST*. 300 kmh (180 mph) is fun. :-)
        We even got a nice meal (they even had a *GOOD* vegetarian meal on board
        without us preparing them ahead of time.)

        In Paris we had to change train stations. We took a taxi from Gar
        d'Nord to Gar d'Lion (*LATER* in the trip we discovered the Paris metro
        system... but the experience confirmed my desire to *not* drive in Paris!)
        and then we boarded a TGV for Provence. 2 hours later we stepped off the
        train in Provence. Total travel time ~ 8 hours.

        The trip back from Provence to Paris was also on time, quick, and fun.

        Amtrak:

        We actually started in Claremont, not LA. It's a 45 minute drive in to
        Union Station, but we wanted to take the train for the entire trip. 3 hours
        after we left Claremont we left Union station up the coast... (1 hour trip,
        2 hour waiting.) On Amtrak on the Coast Starlight from Union Station in LA
        to San Jose it's *10 HOURS*!!! I don't remember passing any cars, except if
        they were stopped waiting for the train to go by.

        All I can say is: No wonder Americans don't take the train. On the LA
        -> San Jose leg the train averaged 35 mph. I seem to remember somebody
        doing the trip faster on a bicycle!

        -- Chris Yoder Smog, Just say NO!
        Director of Information Services Drive electric today.
        for Institute Relations
        chris_yoder@... http://www.its.caltech.edu/~rcy/

        "Power corrupts, but we need the electricity" - Unknown
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2003
          I have taken trains for some European destinations, but it's been
          awhile. I don't think I took the TGV or something from Nice to Paris,
          I think it was more sort of a normal train. In any case, they were
          good traveling.

          When I grew up we took the Amtrak from Albany, NY to New York City
          several times a year. It was a fine trip and it was only years later
          that I read in an Almanac that this is one of the faster routes in
          North America. So I guess we got used to 70-80+ mph.

          I did take an Amtrak from San Diego to LA some years ago and found
          that the station in LA is so out of the way that some folks either
          don't know where it is or have to take nearly an hour to get there.
          It's a good looking old-school station.

          Generally, my experience with Amtrak in the U.S. has been better than
          yours, and if you can find a route where things add up to take it (the
          speed, etc.), I'd look into it, and if not then so be it. We have a
          lot of choices here. But I don't like to see them needlessly fail to
          push those points where they have a lot to offer and if one of them
          could be a solid deal for Americans to travel around on these
          vacation-style-go-many-places trips, then it would be nice to see them
          *wake up* to that sort of ticket, rather than needlessly blowing off
          dozens of millions of dollars in business every year. As I said,
          maybe there's something I don't understand as to why they don't seem
          to be able to offer this type of deal to Americans.

          On another point, I think I'll suggest to Bill Moore that it would be
          nice to have an article or two in Evworld.com as to Amtrak, perhaps
          what technologies they're exploring, or the experience of riding it,
          etc. I do think they've been in the webzine before though.

        • Eric Penne
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2003
            I think this is a wonderful idea. He's been getting some good interviews
            lately with some very interesting people. I'm sure the engineers (not
            driving) are working on some new stuff for Amtrak. Another good place to
            find info is at GE ElectroMotive division. There has to be some engineers
            there that are working with some power silicon for their drive systems.

            > On another point, I think I'll suggest to Bill Moore that it would be
            > nice to have an article or two in Evworld.com as to Amtrak, perhaps what
            > technologies they're exploring, or the experience of riding it, etc. I
            > do think they've been in the webzine before though.
            >
            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Yoder, Chris
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2003
              > This isn't the same issue. I was trying to raise the issue of a
              > Eurail-style go-anywhere pass,

              Sorry about that...

              > But the go-anywhere thing, so prominent in my plans on one or two
              > trips to Europe in my youth, is apparently something that we Americans
              > are good enough to fund (such as through our subsidies to Amtrak) but
              > not good enough to buy or use.

              The Eurorail pass that you are describing, like the one that we got
              last Fall, are only available to those traveling *to* Europe and you have to
              purchase them before you go. Seems like the same thing that Amtrak does...

              Basically they only want tourists to use them. Business / repeat
              travelers would have to get something else.