Our Press Release Welcoming Ford's Statement of "Keen" Interest in PHEVs

  • Felix Kramer
    Message 1 of 2 , May 11, 2006
      Thank you all for your patience in these past months when we wished
      we could have said more. We're not all the way there, but we're
      getting closer. We're also blogging about this, and our plan to bring
      my PHEV Prius to Washington next week, at
      <http://www.hybridcars.com/blogs/power/>.

      CalCars/Frank Welcome Ford's "Keen" Interest in Plug-In Hybrids,
      Disclose Proposal for First Step

      Palo Alto, CA, May 11, 2006: The California Cars Initiative and
      University of California at Davis Professor Andy Frank today welcomed
      Ford Motor Co (NYSE: F) CEO Bill Ford, Jr.'s acknowledgment that the
      company is exploring plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) technology.

      The non-profit group and the engineering professor/inventor of the
      modern plug-in hybrid disclosed that they have been in private
      discussions with top business and technical executives of the company
      since meeting in Dearborn last November. After Mr. Ford responded to
      questions about PHEVs and Prof. Frank at the company's annual meeting
      by saying, "We have nothing to announce today, but yes, we are keenly
      looking at it," CalCars and Prof. Frank released their recent letter
      to Bill Ford.

      The group plans to rapidly build a small prototype/demonstration
      fleet of plug-in hybrids using Ford's Escape Hybrid as a platform.
      First customers for the conversions of several dozen SUVs would be
      cities, utilities, CEOs, entrepreneurs and celebrities. The vehicles
      would demonstrate a range of energy storage and propulsion
      components, flex-fuel (E85) capability and other design solutions.

      Asking for no money or other resources from the company, the group
      has asked Ford to release a statement giving permission to begin
      independent work:

      "A consortium that includes UC Davis engineering Prof. Andy Frank and
      the non-profit California Cars Initiative is starting a project to
      demonstrate the potential of the Ford Escape Hybrid to operate as a
      plug-in hybrid. There's a growing national interest in this
      technology, especially among fleet buyers, to further reduce oil
      consumption and greenhouse gases. While Ford focuses on expanding the
      adoption of hybrid technology throughout our line, we applaud their
      choice of the Escape as a development platform, and we will support
      this independent, innovative effort. We delegate Ford advisor and
      designer/architect William McDonough to participate in this project."

      See the full text of the three-page letter to Bill Ford, "A
      partnership for Ford to take the lead in innovation on plug-in
      hybrids": <http://www.calcars.org/ford-calcars-frank-8may06.pdf>

      Today, Prof. Frank said, "I'm delighted PHEVs and our proposal are
      now getting Mr. Ford's personal attention. The next step is to let us
      turn the Ford Escape Hybrid into the world's cleanest extended range
      production vehicle -- by putting together differently the pieces we
      already have." Felix Kramer, Founder of CalCars.org, said, "Ford
      built the first hybrid SUV. We hope next Thursday at the White House
      meeting of the automotive Big Three, Ford can announce it's taking
      the lead on the next generation of advanced vehicles."

      PLUG-IN HYBRIDS (PHEVs) finally make hybrid cars live up to their
      name by using both gasoline and electricity as fuel. They're like
      today's hybrids but with larger batteries and the ability to
      re-charge off-peak conveniently from a 120-volt plug, so local travel
      is electric, and they retain the extended range of any hybrid. And
      compared to gasoline, electricity is cheaper (under $1/gallon
      equivalent), cleaner (lower greenhouse gases even on the national
      power grid) and comes from domestic sources (3% of US electricity
      comes from oil).

      PROF. ANDY FRANK is the recognized world leader in plug-in hybrid
      technologies, having built nine such vehicles since 1972, including
      ground-up PHEV prototypes of Ford Taurus, Sable and Explorer. As
      Director of the University of California at Davis Future Automotive
      Technology and Engineering Center for Hybrid Electric Vehicles, Dr.
      Frank and his engineering students have repeatedly won high honors in
      the annual U.S. Department of Energy's Future Car and Future Truck
      Challenges. His graduates work in automotive companies worldwide. See
      <http://www.team-fate.net>.

      THE CALIFORNIA CARS INITIATIVE is a group of entrepreneurs,
      engineers, environmentalists and consumers harnessing buyer demand to
      bring plug-in hybrids to market by major car-makers. The non-profit
      focuses both on public policy and technology development. Formed in
      2002, CalCars.org began to get notice in 2004 with the world's first
      plug-in hybrid conversion of a Toyota Prius. Since then, awareness
      and support for PHEVs has grown among diverse constituencies, leading
      to President Bush's Advanced Energy Initiative. CalCars will bring a
      100+MPG PHEV for the first time to Washington May 17-18 for
      demonstrations/drives by Senators, Representatives and other
      officials. See <http://www.calcars.org>.

      -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
      Felix Kramer fkramer@...
      Founder California Cars Initiative
      http://www.calcars.org
      http://www.hybridcars.com/blogs/power
      http://www.bettah.org
      -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    • jonnyy40
      Message 2 of 2 , May 14, 2006
        --- In future-fuels-and-vehicles@yahoogroups.com, Felix Kramer
        <fkramer@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > 2002, CalCars.org began to get notice in 2004 with the world's
        first
        > plug-in hybrid conversion of a Toyota Prius. Since then, awareness
        > and support for PHEVs has grown among diverse constituencies,
        leading
        > to President Bush's Advanced Energy Initiative. CalCars will bring
        > 100+MPG PHEV for the first time to Washington May 17-18 for
        > demonstrations/drives by Senators, Representatives and other
        > officials. See <http://www.calcars.org>.

        > Felix Kramer fkramer@...
        > Founder California Cars Initiative
        > http://www.calcars.org
        > http://www.hybridcars.com/blogs/power
        > http://www.bettah.org
        >Nothing will happen until vested interest companies,your government
        and its oil sponsored President get their noses rubbed in it.Thank
        you so much for your efforts.