(fwd) [biofuel] opec-- who gets what

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2003
      http://www.opec.org/NewsInfo/WhoGetsWhat/2001.pdf

      Speaking of taxes and fuels and transportation and governments not
      wanting to give up on oil, because of the revenues...
    • Mike LaBonte
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2003
        You have to chuckle at a leaflet explaining that $170 billion per
        year in revenue is not a "vast profit". Very interesting though that
        the summary at the end begins with a point not covered anywhere else
        in the leaflet:

        "Oil is big news. It can often seem as if every slight
        fluctuation in the price is proclaimed to be the start of
        a new, permanent trend, and analyzed minutely by the
        media for its possible effect on the world economy."

        They are really trying to combat price fluctuation, because that
        is stalling exploration right now. I think that is the real
        message OPEC wants to convey.

        True, many governments don't want to give up on oil because of the
        revenue. But the US sends half, if not all, of it's revenue back
        to the oil companies as subsidies. By that token the US would be
        the country most able to give up on oil, if it weren't for the fact
        that petroleum still drives the economy.

        Mike

        --- In evworld@yahoogroups.com, murdoch <murdoch@h...> wrote:
        > http://www.opec.org/NewsInfo/WhoGetsWhat/2001.pdf
        >
        > Speaking of taxes and fuels and transportation and governments not
        > wanting to give up on oil, because of the revenues...
      • Some Fellow
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7, 2003
          The UK is likely the least able to wean itself from
          the oil tax revenues.

          http://tax.yahoo.com