Re: Meyer Motors Resurrects the Corbin Sparrow EV

  • dbeard38
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2005
      My God...Yes the EV1, which doesn't exist anymore, or the Rav4 EV,
      the T-zero from AC Propulsion, The Venturi Fetish, How about the Maya
      100 from Electovaya (small suv),honda plus, insight, solectria
      sunrise....

      Or here is an idea....show them the math on what these vehicles could
      do with Valence Saphion batteries, which are also using an
      environmentally freindly chemistry.

      Or tell them about the MCC1, and show them what it could do if it had
      an electric powertrain and NiMh, or lithium
      batteries....http://www.micro-car.co.uk/

      What about an electric smart like the one at wavecrest labs...
      http://www.wavecrestlabs.com/products/systems.html

      Or the brazilian OBVIO by Zap with an electric powertrain....

      Need a Jeep? Check out Patrick Donegan's page! Might be worth funding
      his project...Hmmm?
      http://www.lava.net/~patricki/pages/tbe_1.html

      The only things stopping EV,s is price point, and performance. You
      can't do a conversion with lead acids and expect range comparable to
      an ICE Car, and you can't produce a car with the Lithium batteries
      needed to match performance and also expect to match the price of
      Mass produced ICE cars.

      But it may be possible to do a ground up car, like the Solectria
      Sunrise was in 1996 (extensive use of composites)....and meet both
      the range and cost expectations....but the price of admission to the
      market is very high, NHTSA Standards, crash testing, etc....

      All the big companies know how to do it...they just have no incentive
      to do so...

      --- In evworld@yahoogroups.com, Lee Dekker <heprv@y...> wrote:

      > Why don't you show them a photograph of an EV-1
      >
      > Not only does it prove a BEV is viable, it was done with old
      technology.

      > Arcologic@a... wrote: Hi,
      >
      > Some of you know that I have had a running battle going with the
      Sierra Club
      > over whether or not electric cars are viable and good for the
      environment.
      > I sure would like to find a good example of real, available EV
      technology
      > that I can show them.
      >
      > I looked at the picture and description of this "car." I can't
      show that to
      > the Sierra Club people.
      >
      > But, it gives me cheer to see that someone is straddling the line
      between
      > "car" and "motorcycle." Hey, somebody, let's see something that
      can really
      > blur the line-- I think this is the best path to future commuter
      cars. Any good
      > designers out there? How about it?
      >
      > Sorry, Paul, the NMG (aka Sparrow) model is a joke, though I know
      many will
      > buy it.
      >
      > Ernie Rogers

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------

    • James Wilson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
        The fellow that runs the EV-Trading Post,& his group
        of EV drivers should give some thumbs up.
        Also there is a lot of Citys that have EV Clubs,like
        Austin Tx.
        I hope the China EV makes it here,as it has NiMh
        batteries.
        I am sure you are looking for a Company that
        massproduces EV's,
        sad to say the best built belonged to a Company that
        seems bent on going bankrupt.
        James Wilson

        --- Arcologic@... wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Some of you know that I have had a running battle
        > going with the Sierra Club
        > over whether or not electric cars are viable and
        > good for the environment.
        > I sure would like to find a good example of real,
        > available EV technology
        > that I can show them.
        >
        > I looked at the picture and description of this
        > "car." I can't show that to
        > the Sierra Club people.
        >
        > But, it gives me cheer to see that someone is
        > straddling the line between
        > "car" and "motorcycle." Hey, somebody, let's see
        > something that can really
        > blur the line-- I think this is the best path to
        > future commuter cars. Any good
        > designers out there? How about it?
        >
        > Sorry, Paul, the NMG (aka Sparrow) model is a joke,
        > though I know many will
        > buy it.
        >
        > Ernie Rogers

        > removed]

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • Eddie
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 23, 2006
          I attended a regular Sierra Club program in Columbus, OH in 2005 where
          a local engineer, with decades in automotive research (including
          hybrids), gave his presentation on why battery electric cars are a
          good thing.
          I found the comments below interesting and I am sure other members of
          the club would like to be enlightened further since many of are
          itching to buy an EV.

          BTW, I sat in the Meyers Motors vehicle last October and it drew lots
          of people at the Energy Awareness Day event held at a local school.

          > Some of you know that I have had a running battle going with the
          Sierra Club
          > over whether or not electric cars are viable and good for the
          environment.
        • Forbes Bagatelle-Black
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 24, 2006
            --- In evworld@yahoogroups.com, "Eddie" <eddiecolumbus@y...> wrote:

            > I attended a regular Sierra Club program in Columbus, OH in 2005 where
            > a local engineer, with decades in automotive research (including
            > hybrids), gave his presentation on why battery electric cars are a
            > good thing.
            > I found the comments below interesting and I am sure other members of
            > the club would like to be enlightened further since many of are
            > itching to buy an EV.
            >
            > BTW, I sat in the Meyers Motors vehicle last October and it drew lots
            > of people at the Energy Awareness Day event held at a local school.

            There seems to be a trend amongst "Green" folks to villify the Sierra
            Club. I think this is because they are a large, well-organized group,
            so people associate them with "the Establishment." Also, many
            different opinions are represented within a group this large, so one
            can almost always find SOMEONE in the Sierra Club saying something
            disagreeable to one's point of view. To my way of thinking, the
            Sierra Club has done more good for the environment than any other
            organization I know of. We need to keep pressuring them with EV
            concerns, but they have done a lot of good work and I hope they keep
            it up.

            Did you get to drive the Sparrow? Or just sit in it? Did it seem
            like "a joke" to you, or a real vehicle?

            Thanks,

            Forbes B-Black
          • Eddie
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 24, 2006
              > There seems to be a trend amongst "Green" folks to
              > villify the Sierra
              > Club. I think this is because they are a large,
              > well-organized group,

              Yes, I have noticed that. I have encountered some
              that were upset that the club partnered with Ford to
              get word out on its hybrid SUV. If I were "king for a
              day", I would get rid of all SUVs, but that is not
              going to happen so if we can nudge them into making
              better ones that helps immensely. Who knows, maybe
              one day we can get them to build an EV -- we just need
              to show them how to make money while making better
              decisions!

              > organization I know of. We need to keep pressuring
              > them with EV
              > concerns, but they have done a lot of good work and

              I have never been that "in the know" about how things
              work at the national level. My exposure to the club
              over 2 decades has been that it is mostly a grass
              roots group that works at the state and local level
              primarily. What would we like the Sierra Club to do
              to further the cause of EVs?

              > Did you get to drive the Sparrow? Or just sit in
              > it? Did it seem
              > like "a joke" to you, or a real vehicle?

              I just sat in the NmG vehicle (they had two plugged in
              and open for the public). The one thing that bothered
              me about it was the lack of peripheral vision...you
              have to completely rely on mirrors where in a car you
              could look over your shoulder. I am definitely not
              the target market -- I would be one who would purchase
              a Suburu R1E if they were start building it.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Mark Garvey
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 24, 2006
                On 1/24/06, Eddie <eddiecolumbus@...> wrote:

                > If I were "king for a
                > day", I would get rid of all SUVs, but that is not
                > going to happen so if we can nudge them into making
                > better ones that helps immensely.

                i snipped a lot. But In my book, I pointed out that I don't hate SUVs or
                cars, far from it. But i think that they are all too often used in stupid
                ways! I have a minivan for the family, but generally I drive either a Honda
                motorcycle (a 125S) or my Terra Trike! (with electric assist!) SUVs have
                their uses, it is just that they are all too often misused!

                mark