Ranger EV availability

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2003
      question:

      Was the Ranger EV available nationwide, or nearly so, when it was
      available to the public? I don't recall the answer to this. I know
      it was available in Southern Cal, with a lot of hassle and expense,
      and, really, it was *not* available to many people even when they said
      it was.

      I am also trying to remember to try to check back in on that Ford
      Ranger EV USPS situation. It looked to me informally like they were
      somewhat botched (I heard one annecdote about a postal person
      complaining about always having to recharge them because of poor
      range, and this was not the first time I'd heard such a complaint
      about that particular EV, although the story is probably more complex
      than that) and Ford was trying to talk the USPS into other alt-fuel
      vehicles, partly by putting these half-bad vehicles out there (IMO).
      It looked to me, from the post of that one person keeping us
      up-to-date, that there was a clause in the USPS contract with Ford
      that would allow them to order several *thousand* more of the EVs, if
      they chose, and that this was still an open issue. I wonder, if they
      choose the EV option, and if I have not read agreements incorrectly,
      if Ford will continue to drag their seemingly-trying-to-go-bankrupt
      feet or if they'll put great EVs out there without any further delays,
      bizarre whining about bad batteries, or what-not.