Re: [evworld] The Oilholics

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2005
      This free market push is good thing to have as a goal but damn hard to actually pull off
      in “the real world”. The subsidies and perks and sweetheart deals are so deeply ingrained
      in the system that removing them would/will take decades. Our entire electoral process in
      entwined with subsidies and controls.

      Whenever I read complaining about government subsidies, it usually turns out to be
      something like the nuclear industry complaining about subsidies given to wind power. The
      pro nuke group apparently sees the 50 or so billion that they have reaped in subsidies as
      something else but sees the few million diverted towards wind as an unfair and unwise
      expenditure. And this is just an example of the kind of whacko thinking we will encounter
      in the world of subsidies.

      I believe it is a good thing to aim to rid ourselves of subsidies and to allow the market
      to breath naturally. It is also painfully silly to think that this goal would be easy to
      actually come close to achieving.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2005
        On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 08:02:05 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

        >This free market push is good thing to have as a goal but damn hard to actually pull off
        >in “the real world”. The subsidies and perks and sweetheart deals are so deeply ingrained
        >in the system that removing them would/will take decades. Our entire electoral process in
        >entwined with subsidies and controls.
        >
        >Whenever I read complaining about government subsidies, it usually turns out to be
        >something like the nuclear industry complaining about subsidies given to wind power. The
        >pro nuke group apparently sees the 50 or so billion that they have reaped in subsidies as
        >something else but sees the few million diverted towards wind as an unfair and unwise
        >expenditure. And this is just an example of the kind of whacko thinking we will encounter
        >in the world of subsidies.

        Well, I strongly agree with the above paragraph.